Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I'm on W5R2 of C25K and I've done my knee in "sitting down" gutted. I sat on our sofa cross legged (well one leg under the other) and when I've tried to get up I've stretched/pulled something in the side of my knee.

Gutted I was really getting into the running. I bought a commercial treadmill as getting away from work for 30 mins at the moment is difficult. Whilst I wasn't really looking forward to the non stop 20 min run I was surprised I managed the 8 min runs of the session before.

Looks like I may have to step back a week or so.. At 44 I don't heal as quick as I used to...

Associate
Ha small world! I quite like that road given how quiet it is. The long straight down from Chinnor to that road is pretty much bang on a mile which I've found useful for repeats especially as it has a good footpath running the whole length.

Soldato
Haha thats what i've found. I used to be about 120kg, then started running and got down to around 90kg. Then got lazy and ran maybe twice a month. Now i'm around 107kg and get annoyed due to aches and how slow i am and how much i struggle to cover shortish distances.

Doesn't help that even though i've started running a it more recently i keep eating a pile of junk! Have an aim of getting down to 100kg by christmas which should be do-able. That then should help me as i want to get to around 10-12 mile runs by then too.

Then hopefully i can carry on towards the marathon in April and drop further weight to ease strain on joints/muscles when i have to run 26m!

Caporegime
what I hate about running....

running > injury > less running > put on weight > running > more injury as heavier ....is there a way out :)

Have a close look at your running technique, training, recovery and shoes.
I've not had an acute running injury in over 2.5 years.

When i tried to pick up running years ago I had the same kind of cycle until someone corrected my training and forced me to make sure easy pace really is easy.

If you are constantly chasing Strava segment PRs, staring at your watching trying to go faster and doing countless track sessions then you will get injured. A lot.

Man of Honour
thanks for advice, yeah need to slow it down...it's so easy to run too quick, but running with someone else does help slow things up as you can have a chat on way round

thing is I know 35km a week and I can eat freely like a horse, 20km a week I'm going to also have to adjust my over eating... fairwell Malbec and Pizza was good knowing you :( :)

Caporegime
You are a little scary DP. I ran my half marathon today, hilly but perfect weather. 1 hr 26m, very pleased with that. Pancake flat marathon in April next.

Well done. Shows good endurance to keep on target pace going form a 10k to a HM, especially a hilly course.

Caporegime
thanks for advice, yeah need to slow it down...it's so easy to run too quick, but running with someone else does help slow things up as you can have a chat on way round

thing is I know 35km a week and I can eat freely like a horse, 20km a week I'm going to also have to adjust my over eating... fairwell Malbec and Pizza was good knowing you :( :)

I like Pizza a lot, so clocked up 141km last week!

A rough guide to a good easy pace for most running is 2.5-3 minutes slower per mile than a recent 5km or 10km race. I haven;t doner a 10k recent but the last one I averaged about 5:56 a mile, but IO train at 8:10 to 8:50 pace (slower side for hillier routes or on recovery runs). If you are gettign inured frequently then stick to this kind of pace and don;t do any kind of track workout/intervals/tempo run for 4-6 months and see how you get on.

Soldato
Ha i can imagine!

I tried to do some small intervals on Sunday. Was coming into the last mile along a road home and felt quite good but couldn't extend the run due to us going out so decided to just dd a few sprints. Only short 100m type things towards the next lamppost etc but after about the 5th one my left knee went a bit weak so i slowed up and jogged back home.

Went out Monday night and did another 4 miles and it was ok until the last half mile, did a bit of rowing yesterday and it was fine and then today did another 4 miles and again it felt a little tender to start with (i'd just woken up) but once warmed up it was fine towards the end.

Got back to the gym (i drive to the gym, go for a run then use the gym for a few weights/spa/shower before work), in the spa i got one of the water jets on my knee and it's definitely tender in a specific area on the inside front bit. Almost feels like it's bruised.

Not sure whether to keep with short runs since they don't seem to be causing too much damage or to just rest it completely.

Also think i could do with some new trainers.

Back
Top Bottom