Who is "struggling" to play a PC game?

Soldato
In the same boat, I have a huge Steam library, most are cheap/indie titles and I still go "Nah, don't fancy this" then hope onto Uplay and load an Assassins Creed game without thinking twice..

Soldato
I did have this problem, but have been slowly working my way through my backlog, completing one at a time. According to my steam profile I have completed 61 games in the last 4 years, but thats out of the 411 games I own. Unfortunately now I have the issue of running out of good games and having a bunch of rubbish indie games left :(. Also very few new games look any good either. Looking forward to the new Metro and Resident Evil 2 in the near future though.

Soldato
I totally relate to this. I always find the prospect of sitting at my PC to play a game far more exciting than actually doing it. So often I start a game up and quit after 10 mins because I just cannot be bothered.

And yet I've still just dumped over £600 on a gaming monitor I'll only use for work (well, at least I'll have a lovely 120Hz G-synced work experience!) on an impulse buy. I need help...

Associate
One thing that really helped motivate me is being told on not passing an assessment centre that "people who play a lot of computer games tend to do really well in our tests".

That gave me a definite nudge to get my head down and play :D

Associate
My 12 year old step son, I've got hundreds (literally) of games on my PC including Battlefield V - Origin Premium which I bought primarily for him - yet he sits at my PC and says hes bored and has "nothing to play" and then sits and watches endless hours of Youtube video's of gaming as opposed to playing them!!!

Me, I default to GTA V, FSX and Battlefield V which I'm really enjoying although my favorite is still Battlefield 2 by a very long way.

I really should sell my rig or at least ditch my 1080ti Amp Extreme for something like a 980ti as frankly I just don't really use my PC to justify having such a card - I use a 43" TV as a 4K screen but tend to run my games at a lower resolution to get higher fps rates (and quite frankly it looks just as good) for the vast majority of my PC useage these days a basic laptop (which I already have) would more than suffice my needs alas.

Love gaming, but work / life gets in the way and justifying what I have is increasingly difficult, on the other hand though, a second 1080ti in SLI is something that really appeals to me despite all of the above!! :o :p :D

Sold my 1080ti/8700k for good cash. Back to a 1050ti.

Its great I enjoy games far more now knowing its not wasted whilst I play Garry's mod ..

Associate
Ah yes paralysis by analysis, we are so spoiled with options now we don't know what to play. It would be easier if there was like a handful of must play games now, but these day we get quite a lot within a year.

You wouldn't think options would be a bad thing, but think about it, if the misses only had 1 store in town and there was only 5 choices she'd just pick the best option and go with it, but alas spoilt with options comes the joy of window shopping for hours on end!

Associate
A game has to grip me from start to finish or I after a while I will stop and think "why?", and turn it off. Sadly those games are getting rarer and rarer.

Caporegime
I don't have the patience to play games it seems, my partner doesn't either.

I fire up forza 7 sometimes or look for an online only game recently was grinding away in warframe.

but other games with a story I just can't be bothered when there is no real freedom and your forced to play how the game wants you too.

recently bought an xbox at my partners house so I could game mainly to play forza 7 since it uses the same save profile for windows10 and xbox one :O

grabbed black flag, watch dogs, dragons age inquisition, cities skylines (which I played already anyway but thought the partner might like it)

played black flag quite a lot but got really annoyed by the forced stealth sessions where you can't be seen but aren't allowed to kill anyone either.... even if it was undetected....

the last single player game I enjoyed was probably skyrim

Associate
Games are too easy these days. They're flat/linear making it easier to aim with some games even having aim assist! What's the point of that? Couple that with endless cut scenes and it's like wandering through a movie. There needs to be a challenge.
Try re-visiting one of those games you quit because of the steep learning curve. Some of the best gaming experiences I've had were with ones I dismissed but then tried again or a even a third time before I 'got it'.
Do what you can't, not what you can, the rewards are sweeter.

Soldato
I struggle more and more to play single player games, I just enjoy multiplayer so much more even if it's co-op or simply living in the same open world and meeting randoms who may/may not try to kill you (e.g. ARK).

Think having a group of people to play with makes a huge difference :)

Associate
I struggle more and more to play single player games, I just enjoy multiplayer so much more even if it's co-op or simply living in the same open world and meeting randoms who may/may not try to kill you (e.g. ARK).

Well yeah multiplayer makes a lot of sense, it's in our human nature to network and be with other humans otherwise we feel extremely lonely, the problem is some (or a lot) of gamers don't network with people much outside of their games because they get their fill from the game (the illusion of not being alone) in the long run this is bad for your soul and will lead to depression, it's like artificial sunlight and artificial nature, it just doesn't work. Of course this doesn't apply to anyone who has a healthy life style but cmon... which serious gamer has a healthy lifestyle lol.

Associate
Stardew Valley has literally kept me glued to my seat after such along time not interested in games .Kickstarter companies seem to be only beacon of some sense of originality in gaming now as far as i can see .

Soldato
Games are too easy these days. They're flat/linear making it easier to aim with some games even having aim assist! What's the point of that? Couple that with endless cut scenes and it's like wandering through a movie. There needs to be a challenge.
Try re-visiting one of those games you quit because of the steep learning curve. Some of the best gaming experiences I've had were with ones I dismissed but then tried again or a even a third time before I 'got it'.
Do what you can't, not what you can, the rewards are sweeter.

Something like this, but the problem is that gameplay in general hasn't really changed. The Forest or Day Z or an Arma mod in which you're "lost" on Stratis will pretty much be the same thing. BF Bad Company to BF 4 was all the same, bar some tweaks. Deus Ex Human Revolution to Mankind Divided, same stuff, feels more like an expansion. Far Cry 2, 3, 4 felt as the same game and from what I saw on YouTube, the 5th installment is just more of the same.

It's all about nuances.

And there are the stupid things like artificial limits to the amount of some items that you can carry, artificial barriers to set the mood (Amnesia: TDD became "meh" for me just because of this), enemies which have 5-10 bullets on them even if they haven't shot a single one, but otherwise would have put about 1000 your way, etc.

It's just like in the movies: when you see someone doing something stupid for the 1000th time and you know what's gonna happen, you pretty much lose the excitement and maybe even walk out.

Sadly, all we get is the same ol' reheated stew. If you haven't got it for while might be good whiting the first few minutes, but after that...

Associate
Couple that with endless cut scenes and it's like wandering through a movie. There needs to be a challenge.

Yeah I miss the minimalist "Half Life" style of storytelling where nothing is spoonfed and you have to piece it together from your own observations. Ironically, one of my favorite genres is now walking simulators (e.g. what remains of edith finch), because the story you're being fed is actually interesting and doesn't feel so contrived like in most of the AAA titles. Unfortunately now it feels like games and becoming more and more on rails, as developers try to create that "movie" experience, at which point I'm like f it, if the game is just a movie then I'd rather just watch netflix.

Associate
Usually I'd have a whine in such a thread and agree - several hundred games, all the hardware and no desire - but I'm supposed to be a responsible adult revising for a professional exam on Tuesday so instead I had pizza for breakfast then sat down to 6 hours of the blatant grind-athon that is Sky Force Reloaded. This is who 14 year old me wanted me to be at 34 :p Replaying the same level over and over for unlocks. I have games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Divinity Original Sin that I want to play but can't put more than 40 minutes in to but this simple grind I'm hooked on!

Edit: changed Sky Force Anniversary for Reloaded...

Last edited:
Associate
Usually I'd have a whine in such a thread and agree - several hundred games, all the hardware and no desire - but I'm supposed to be a responsible adult revising for a professional exam on Tuesday so instead I had pizza for breakfast then sat down to 6 hours of the blatant grind-athon that is Sky Force Anniversary. This is who 14 year old me wanted me to be at 34 :p Replaying the same level over and over for unlocks. I have games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Divinity Original Sin that I want to play but can't put more than 40 minutes in to but this simple grind I'm hooked on!

I think there is something to be learned here. If you want to crave games again then just find yourself an urgent task to delay and voila, the love is rekindled.

Soldato

Thats why i enjoy SC so much it's so enjoyable to play with friends being able to make our own fun, PS next time we play i think we should load you into the torp tubes and see how much damage you can do to @pete910 connie.

Back
Top Bottom