When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
^^^ He has a lot of interesting vids comparing various EVs. I Pace for example is very inefficient (compared) so pretty much like the ICE cars it replaced in the Jag range :)

Model 3 in Europe will get the CCS combined charge port and Tesla Supercharger sites will get retro fitted CCS charging cables. So when will they let other EVs use them and how much hate will it generate with Model 3 EVs using normal charge sites but not the reverse :)

Model 3 in that case would work with my current home charger which is another reason to get one to replace my current i3 as they will probably never get above 200 mile range before the iX3 or whatever replaces it.

Soldato
I do agree with others that the efficiency of the pace isn’t a huge deal due to the cost of fuel most of the time.

But when you are on a trip and having to use public chargers it really matters because the effective “miles per hour” you are pulling from the charger is so much lower. You have to sit there for longer to achieve the same range as other vehicles.

That person did the same race with an iPace and a Kia Soul, it ended in a draw even though the iPace has a ~60kwh advantage over the Soul.

It should be said that the iPace would have won if there was 100kw CCS charing available, the Soul can also utilise it but the iPace can sustain the higher charge rate for longer. On the flip side, the Kona would have crushed it, as would a Tesla X 75D even with 100kw CCS.

Soldato
How about '49 Mercury EV?

Bit out of my budget but I have an RX7 stashed away waiting for the conversion prices to drop. When I first looked the options were limited but more recently I've seen off the shelf parts to do a mostly Tesla based build for maybe £30K or less.
My V8 conversion with mods was £15K so still some way to go yet.

Soldato
Coming up to 2 years in my i3 94ah BEV. 25k done so far.

30 mile round trip commute plus up to 60 miles business mileage... Occasionally more, in a day.

GOM range anything from 110 to 170 miles. Real world 140. Depending on weather.

Running costs so far:
Winter tyres...2nd hand for around £180 for 4
CPS card: £40
Home charging... C£200 est max

Add in claiming business mileage and I'm actually up financially. Minus insurance and PCP of course.

Issues so far...

Misuse of charge points. Usually by lack of knowledge and the reliance of etiquette . Never has it caused a delayed journey for me...just a mild inconvenience.

The charging infrastructure is getting busier. I have been lucky in that as a relatively new adopter of an EV I have had local rapid chargers to use almost exclusively...this is getting much less.

Future issues

Technology. Bigger batteries. Longer charge times. Reliance on public chargers. Cost.

We are installing PV at home to use excess electricity to trickle charge the i3 for free and when/if public charge points become an annoyance through use or cost.

For a vast majority of people I would thoroughly recommend buying an EV. I spoke to a 24kw Leaf driver who bought his from a Taxi driver from Dundee. Over 90k on the clock. Cheap local driving. The technology is now proven. BUY NOW.

Soldato
We already have a chargemaster installed. So no grant available for a Zappi. I can set the car to use a reduced charge. Not as convenient as a zappi but it will do the job.

When the time comes that our 2nd car is electric then yes. A zappi would be on the cards.

The Feed in Tarrif ends next year. There was some EU regulation that limited the amount of Chinese solar companies importing to the EU and prices were predicted to drop. That has stopped but prices haven't fallen. Anyone installing panels next year won't get the export tariff. All excess goes to the energy companies for free. So right now is the time to get solar installed.

Soldato
I hadn’t realised the feed in tariff is completely going and new exports would be feeding into the grid for free, that’s a complete con.

I guess battery install along side the solar is the only viable option from next year.

Soldato
Battery storage isnt financially viable for most right now. Prices are predicted to fall next year...we shall see.

It makes more sense to get iboost to divert excess electricity for hot water. We have solar thermal and bulk LPG. It should pay for itself within 2 years. Payback for our solar system alone is predicted at 9 years. It will be a lot less if/when public charging where I am (Aberdeenshire) stops being free.

Caporegime
Yeah thats ridiculous. Sure, the previous feed in tariffs may have been a fit generous but at the very least those putting energy back into the grid should get commercial rates for it.

Definitely worth getting an EV if you have solar then.

Soldato
Yeah thats ridiculous. Sure, the previous feed in tariffs may have been a fit generous but at the very least those putting energy back into the grid should get commercial rates for it.

Definitely worth getting an EV if you have solar then.

We've got the whole hog to go in the next 12-24 months, house move first followed by PV array, and battery storage then EV between or alongside those. Not impressed with feed in, and never have been really, I like the idea of using my own electricity, and storing it with the grid as emergency back up. We'll be looking at 25-40kWh of storage and anywhere from 10-18kWh of PV depending on the roof we end up with, will probably cost as much as the car to install.

Here' are the current rates from Ofgem.

Description Total Installed Capacity (kW) Tariff (p/kWh)
Standard Solar photovoltaic receiving the higher rate
0-10 3.86
10-50 4.11
50-250 1.75
Standard solar photovoltaic receiving the middle rate
0-10 3.47
10-50 3.70
50-250 1.58
Standard solar photovoltaic receiving the lower rate
0-10 0.20
10-50 0.20
50-250 0.20