LG32ud99 problems with "HDR" and the PS4 PRO

Associate
If anyone has this monitor and a PS4 PRO please tell me if you have the same issues:

1. HDR Cinema makes everything really dark. This is particularly a problem with HDR content on Netflix. The monsters in stranger things are barely visible in the shadows.
  2. In Horizon Zero Dawn there is an additional issue where there is a black ring around the sun both in game and in the initial Menu screen. HDR Cinema is again far too dark and contrast is lost. HDR Game seems to be better but way to bright even when setting the brightness (in game) to zero.

I am really struggling to get good HDR settings with this monitor, most content just seems to better in the "custom" non-HDR picture setting. I know this setting uses RGB as opposed to the compressed YUV formats used for 4k HDR (from the ps4 pro). I also know that this monitor is barely scratching the HDR standard. But I seriously expected more.

Associate
OP
AhaDZcE

https://imgur.com/AhaDZcE
Here is a picture of the problem I am seeing.

Associate
I dont have this monitor but had issue with hdr on ps4 pro with the samsung chg32.
The only resolution path I could think of is check if there is a firmware update for the monitor that could improve hdr.
Also check your hdmi cable if its an old one maybe there is a bandwidth issue.

Associate
OP
I dont have this monitor but had issue with hdr on ps4 pro with the samsung chg32.
The only resolution path I could think of is check if there is a firmware update for the monitor that could improve hdr.
Also check your hdmi cable if its an old one maybe there is a bandwidth issue.

I am using this HDMI cable which I believe is HDMI 2.0

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0714C2W7G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I have the latest firmware.

I can get over the line around Sun in game, its the crushing blacks which really bothers me. I do wonder if it could be a problem with my specific unit but I have no way of telling unless I buy another one...

Associate
Your cable looks good .
The issue could be coming from the fact that the screen is edge lit it makes it harder to have real hdr contrast.
Can you force the luminosity to get higher via the screen settings in hdr mode ?

Associate
OP
Your cable looks good .
The issue could be coming from the fact that the screen is edge lit it makes it harder to have real hdr contrast.
Can you force the luminosity to get higher via the screen settings in hdr mode ?

Cheers for your help!

Brightness is the only setting it lets you change once in an HDR mode. My brightness is set to full.

There is another HDR mode called "HDR Game". This mode has slightly less realistic colours but in this mode I can see things in the black areas which are not visible in either SDR or the other HDR modes. The black areas are almost too bright, it looses some of the atmosphere... I will experiment more with this setting after work but there is very little I can do as I can only control the brightness. The black lines around the Sun and other high contrast areas are still there. I have contacted LG support and they have passed on my case to their senior tech support. So I will wait for their response.

Associate
Cool keep us updated even though I fear that this is a limitation of the screen itself.
This is why I didnt buy it last year spending that much money for an edge lit screen when you can have a 49 inch sont xf90 that is vastly superior for the same price was frustrating

Associate
OP
Still waiting on a reply from LG.

I noticed last night that if I:
1) Turned HDR off whilst at a dark part of a film
2) Fast forward to a brighter part of a film
3) Turned HDR back on,
4) Returned to a dark scene

the HDR worked perfectly...

I am trying to return the monitor now for another one as I think the HDR is just not working properly all the time.

Back
Top Bottom