• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Rtx 2080?

Soldato
What monitor do you have (and therefore what res are you using?)

Unless the answers includes a monitor with Gysnc and a res of 4k pay half the price (or very slightly more) for a vega 64 with three games to come when released and bank the circa 400 saving till a later gen comes out that isn't burdened by the currently poorly supported and poorly resourced rtx features on the 2080/2070 cards where the main 'feature' of this titular addition is to needelesly inflate the cards price for very little current gain.

OcUK Staff
MSI Trio X is better than FE, right now it also comes with a pretty decent headset that sells for £90-£100 on other webshops and £80 at OcUK. Plus the BF5 game!

Otherwise just get the Palit 2080 Gaming Pro, great cooler, quiet and comes with a FREE SSD for £720.

Both deals are much better than the FE card at £750.

Associate
OP
Have a 165hz gsync screen so the nvidia upgrade makes more sense, I usually upgrade every 2/3 years. Upgrading my 980 atm for better 1440p performance.

Anyone have the FE card to chime in on what it’s like?

The MSI is tempting but I’m not sure if it’d be too big the trio card looks huge.

Associate
I have the FE and yeah I'm happy with it. At £750 it wasn't massively more expensive then a new 1080ti for ever so slightly better performance. Runs reasonably quiet, (I don't notice any more noise then the EVGA 1070 FTW it replaced) extremely well built (probably overbuilt). At the time I bought it prices were higher everywhere, now MSI and EVGA have some offerings at less then the FE price that I've seen that I'd probably give serious thought to if I were buying today.

RTX is interesting in BF5 but it will probably be the next generation before it really becomes a fully usable thing (at least with '80' cards). Those recommending vega 64 etc are making valid points that you should seriously give thought to.

Associate
I can vouch for the EVGA 2080 XC ultra. Quiet, cool, boosts to 1930-1950MHz out of the box. Eats up everything at 1440p @144Hz. Really happy with the card so far. I'd go aftermarket for better cooling etc over the FE.

Associate
My FE boosts to 1950 but won’t hold it for long before dropping to about 1850. Temps are obviously the issue, if I take the front panel off of the case (Corsair 750d) it’ll go back up a bit.

Soldato
Tbh if your going to splurge £800 on a GPU you might as well save and or borrow a bit more and get a 2080ti now they are under £1,000.... With a 'free' game

the 2080 has taken the mantle of the worst turing card (and the worst nvidia card in a while) imo snatching this dubious distinction from the 2070 after nvidia had a mini panic and made sure at least some aib 2070 cards were sold at the usual fantasy aib rrp at launch after seeing the the 2080 tank at its inflated launch prices shortly before.

The titular feature of the RTX cards is completely useless on 2070`s and rather poor on a 2080 with the ti at least putting in a just about passable effort in rtx with the best mainstream performance in non rtx stuff (albeit for a price)

Caporegime
Tbh if your going to splurge £800 on a GPU you might as well save and or borrow a bit more and get a 2080ti now they are under £1,000.... With a 'free' game

the 2080 has taken the mantle of the worst turing card (and the worst nvidia card in a while) imo snatching this dubious distinction from the 2070 after nvidia had a mini panic and made sure at least some aib 2070 cards were sold at the usual fantasy aib rrp at launch after seeing the the 2080 tank at its inflated launch prices shortly before.

The titular feature of the RTX cards is completely useless on 2070`s and rather poor on a 2080 with the ti at least putting in a just about passable effort in rtx with the best mainstream performance in non rtx stuff (albeit for a price)

£1000 for a card to disable RTX and run in DX 11 mode...oh but I guess you get a free game...

Caporegime
It was only a suggestion if you were already minded to spend £800 on an RTX card already!

BF5 is available for £37.99 is this really an incentive to buy a 2080 card? So you can’t run the features you bought in game at playable FPS

Wow I sometimes think I’m living in an alien universe.

The world has gone mad...:o

Soldato
BF5 is available for £37.99 is this really an incentive to buy a 2080 card? So you can’t run the features you bought in game at playable FPS

Wow I sometimes think I’m living in an alien universe.

The world has gone mad...:o

To be clear I am not, in the general sense, advocating buying any rtx cards!

Its was a comment that you may aswell get the 2080ti if you were already minded to pay quite a lot of £££££'s on an RTX card as the 2080 looks to be rather pointless for use with its titular feature and at least the 2080ti can play the bundled game just about passably with RTX' on' (unlike the two lower tier cards) at modern game resolutions.

Caporegime
To be clear I am not, in the general sense, advocating buying any rtx cards!

Its was a comment that you may aswell get the 2080ti if you were already minded to pay quite a lot of £££££'s on an RTX card as the 2080 looks to be rather pointless for use with its titular feature and at least the 2080ti can play the bundled game just about passably with RTX' on' (unlike the two lower tier cards) at modern game resolutions.

Copy that. :)

Back
Top Bottom