Computer genius that can’t use a computer

Soldato
Hi all.

This applies both to my mum and a colleague, but I’ve noticed that there is a group of people who are absolute coding geniuses and can write SQL to do pretty much anything, but really struggle with basic functionality of a computer. For instance, using the mouse to grab scroll bars to scroll instead of the mouse wheel, not really know how to use the start menu in Windows very well, not knowing how to take a screenshot, etc.

It just seems odd to me!

Soldato
Hi all.

This applies both to my mum and a colleague, but I’ve noticed that there is a group of people who are absolute coding geniuses and can write SQL to do pretty much anything, but really struggle with basic functionality of a computer. For instance, using the mouse to grab scroll bars to scroll instead of the mouse wheel, not really know how to use the start menu in Windows very well, not knowing how to take a screenshot, etc.

It just seems odd to me!

Is there a question in here somewhere or have you won pointless thread of the morning award

Man of Honour
I wouldn't say he can't use a computer - but my dad is a bit like that - heads up the technical dept. where he works and does some incredibly complex stuff including database development like Access and SQL and designing stuff to interface with machines, etc. but isn't naturally capable at many basic desktop tasks - he can turn Excel on its head but struggles to figure out a web-browser - whereas my mum is the opposite - like a fish to water when it comes to using an operating system and working out hot keys and little hidden tips and tricks, etc. but not technically minded at all.

Soldato
I had a phone call once from a girl with a computer science degree raging at me because I'd broken her computer when I used it the evening before... I'd maximised the resolution so I could see more...

I'd expect most people under 50 now to be able to use a computer to basic levels, but its a case of people are taught one way and they use it that way, they don't think to try different ways.

For instance, the number of people I work with in a software analyst dept that still use CTRL+ALT+DEL to lock their laptops instead of WIN+L is shocking and are truly amazed when you show them. Same as WIN+CURSOR keys for windows snapping.

Soldato
My network engineers are great working on cisco routers and fortinet firewalls, but haven't a clue about windows (eg: one of them couldnt understand why his MBR disk wouldnt extend past 2tb)....nor any kind of best practice for deploying group shares.

IT is so big these days it's obvious nobody knows everything. You wouldn't ask a plumber to plaster your bathroom would you? same for IT.....asking a network engineer to build a sql HA platform is a bad idea (and yes, my place did just that and wondered why it all went wrong).

Now, if your desktop support team can't use windows that is a problem lol

Man of Honour
For instance, the number of people I work with in a software analyst dept that still use CTRL+ALT+DEL to lock their laptops instead of WIN+L is shocking and are truly amazed when you show them. Same as WIN+CURSOR keys for windows snapping.

Not knowing specific tricks and hotkeys I think is a bit different to some of the general inability to learn and adapt, etc. and extrapolate knowledge of how one feature works to figure out how another one does and so on. I mean a lot of people don't even know you can move the text cursor position on iphones and Android by (if configured) swiping the keyboard and/or holding down and swiping on the space bar.

Soldato
Try telling that to my company. Lost count how many times I have to explain this.

I'm sure I'm not alone there.

It's actually getting worse, senior management is so detached from the modern world it's not funny anymore. They really are clueless.

They really do think all we do is unbox equipment, plug it in and that's it. Anything goes wrong, turn it off and on again.

Man of Honour
A previous partners mother held a computer science doctorate, and was proficient in live image analysis, realtime multi-threaded application design etc.

But... she struggled using any basic desktop environment, Windows, Linux, Mac - had trobule checking her emails, and double clicked EVERTHING.

I always looked at it as the difference between Computer Science and IT.

Soldato
Ive met doctors who struggle to look after them self's, wouldn't know how to wash there own cloths etc. When you devote so much time to being great at one thing most other tasks become a drain on your focus/time. Rings true for most things.

Soldato
It's actually getting worse, senior management is so detached from the modern world it's not funny anymore. They really are clueless.

They really do think all we do is unbox equipment, plug it in and that's it. Anything goes wrong, turn it off and on again.

Oh I hear ya. It's infuriating at times lol.

Associate
Kind of like this, I've got a career in IT and hobby with building computers, gaming etc. But I'm not great with mobile phones, couldn't figure out how to post a link from Amazon app into Whatsapp last night so ended up taking photos on my desktop PC and sending those instead :D

Soldato
Oh I hear ya. It's infuriating at times lol.

Monday morning was funny. Azure MFA was down which meant our remote users were unable to login until we bypassed the check.

Us: Microsoft azure mfa is down
Manager "what do YOU need to do to fix it"
Us: "Microsoft, have to fix it"
Manager "blank look"

Man of Honour
Kind of like this, I've got a career in IT and hobby with building computers, gaming etc. But I'm not great with mobile phones, couldn't figure out how to post a link from Amazon app into Whatsapp last night so ended up taking photos on my desktop PC and sending those instead :D

To be fair on phones there is just so much fragmentation and non-standard implementations for stuff like that often with a completely unintuitive approach :s

Permabanned
won pointless thread of the morning award

+1 vote from me... think we should start a daily/weekly/monthly and yearly awards thread

Ahhh dang... just realised the downside... it'd invite MORE of it :eek:

Although OT... I haz friend like that... highly talented coder working on bleeding edge VR projects as lead engineer for some of the biggest names in the industry... very good at what he does... yet can barely operate a computer and still uses total commander to manage his file system on windows 10 :/

Soldato

What do you do if you do not have a WIN key?

Back
Top Bottom