The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
It's a 1920s build that's had one end knocked down and a modern (2005-ish) extension built. We're likely to go with a building survey (which I think is the highest RICS registered surveyors offer) but have no idea about how to pick a good firm. Similarly with conveyancing, there are so many options!

Soldato
It's a 1920s build that's had one end knocked down and a modern (2005-ish) extension built. We're likely to go with a building survey (which I think is the highest RICS registered surveyors offer) but have no idea about how to pick a good firm. Similarly with conveyancing, there are so many options!

Well a 20’s house will be either solid or cavity construction with timber suspended floors and a rafter and purlin roof. It’s the later extensions that can cause problems as they often cause bridging between old and new for water, block air bricks etc - there can be issues with high ground levels, dodgy sprayed foam insulation to the under side of the roof, cracking due to replacement double glazing - the list goes on. Oh and asbestos is prevalent but provided you know where it is, it’s general condition and don’t mess with it, it won’t hurt you - you can then organise it’s renoval safely. Often around pipes, old bacolite switch gear, garage roof coverings etc - don’t run a mile if some is found. It’s very common - just quiz the surveyor.

The big firms are e.surv, Countrywide, Shepherds etc. Or you can go for a smaller independent firm - best to google but make sure they are RICS accredited.

With solicitors people are often very quick to recommend online companies that are basically the cheap option. This is fine if you just want a very basic service and are happy to pray that nothing a bit abnormal comes up (such as rights of way or planning issues) - it’s at this point that people often wish they had put the hand in their pocket and paid for a proper solicitor.

Bare that in mind and if in doubt use a company that is local and long-standing. You must have someone you can talk to during the process - not some 18 year old legal clerk in a call centre in Manchester.

On the flip side, these companies can be good at saving some cash for you when you are buying something very simple.

Soldato
Very helpful, thanks!

I think it's partly solid walls (judging by brick pattern) on the original house and then cavity on the extension. So I guess difficulty/estimated cost of insulating the solid walls is something we'd want the survey to consider.

Had a few conveyancing cost estimates come through which range from £650 (online) to £2250 (local firm). Both before disbursements. We've had one local firm at £1,200 who seem pretty good and have decent reviews so leaning toward them.

Survey quotes range from £700 - £1500 so far and seem to vary considerably in type/format of report. Ideally I want it to include estimates of any repairs required, not sure if this is common or not.

Soldato
Very helpful, thanks!

I think it's partly solid walls (judging by brick pattern) on the original house and then cavity on the extension. So I guess difficulty/estimated cost of insulating the solid walls is something we'd want the survey to consider.

Had a few conveyancing cost estimates come through which range from £650 (online) to £2250 (local firm). Both before disbursements. We've had one local firm at £1,200 who seem pretty good and have decent reviews so leaning toward them.

Survey quotes range from £700 - £1500 so far and seem to vary considerably in type/format of report. Ideally I want it to include estimates of any repairs required, not sure if this is common or not.

Unless you are going to line the walls internally with another layer of plasterboard then I honestly wouldn’t worry about insulating the solid walls. At the end of the day, they have been there for 100 years and nobody had frozen to death - most heat loss is through windows - hence double glazing is good. Messing with the original fabric of a building can be disasterous so be very careful.

Buildings are effectively living and breathing things in their own way - hence their original design and purpose must always be respected. That’s why people who insulate the hell out of the loft spaces often end up scratching their heads when they find they have dry rot - the whole pint of a roof is that it need to breath, hence keeping it dry - insulating it stops it breathing and results in the build up of condensation which in turn leads to rot.

Cavity walls are indeed better at keeping the property dry and by extension insulated but only through their proper use - it’s the same with solid walls.

Let us know how your survey goes

Associate
Stressed to bits with our potential move. Should have posted on here sooner.

After a week of renegotiating with our seller, we have decided a date of 7th or 14th December.

Our buyers have been on today saying they want in our place by the 30th of November. So asking us to break the chain.

They've not threatened to walk yet but I bet that's next. They can't move anytime in December apparently.

Sigh, work motivation is tough with all this going on.

Soldato
Stressed to bits with our potential move. Should have posted on here sooner.

After a week of renegotiating with our seller, we have decided a date of 7th or 14th December.

Our buyers have been on today saying they want in our place by the 30th of November. So asking us to break the chain.

They've not threatened to walk yet but I bet that's next. They can't move anytime in December apparently.

Sigh, work motivation is tough with all this going on.

9/10 times these threats are empty. Put it this way I completed something today that had someone threatening to withdraw if it wasn't done in October :rolleyes: :p All it's done is give 5+ (long chain!) groups of buyers/sellers/agents/solicitors an ulcer and waste hours of everyone's time dealing with constant emails and calls which ironically dragged it out longer than it otherwise would have been.

No one in their right mind can expect other people to break a chain and frankly I think very lowly of people that suggest others should do so. It's alright if you were to offer, but someone asking you to do it is not on IMO.

Associate
Thanks Skillmister ! Made me feel better.

Our removals firm can't do 7th if move date turns out to be them. Shame as they were professional and not hideously expensive. Going to have to research others this weekend.

We did not offer, they came with the idea that because they broke their chain we should. In reality when putting the offer in on our house, there house was already completing, so it's not like we asked them to or anything.

Also 5+ chain sounds bonkers, all the going through all the channels slows down the communication. You just want to get everyone in a room and tell them to stop being silly!
Congrats on getting sorted though.

Last edited:

POB

POB

Soldato
Hi all,

Joining in the fun. Buying a new build with the aim to be in before Christmas.

Builders can't give a date.

Hope to exchange very soon now, all paperwork sorted just waiting for authority to exchange for the Help to Buy.

Annoying that my tenancy date is the 24th. So probably can't quite give notice this month :(

Oh also going away for 10 days soon to add to the fun ;)

POB

POB

Soldato
Opps! I messed up the HTB application. The mortgage amount doesn't match the amount on the authority to proceed.

Got to wait another 4 days for a reply from the Help to Buy agency.

Soldato
Unless you are going to line the walls internally with another layer of plasterboard then I honestly wouldn’t worry about insulating the solid walls. At the end of the day, they have been there for 100 years and nobody had frozen to death - most heat loss is through windows - hence double glazing is good. Messing with the original fabric of a building can be disasterous so be very careful.

Buildings are effectively living and breathing things in their own way - hence their original design and purpose must always be respected. That’s why people who insulate the hell out of the loft spaces often end up scratching their heads when they find they have dry rot - the whole pint of a roof is that it need to breath, hence keeping it dry - insulating it stops it breathing and results in the build up of condensation which in turn leads to rot.

Cavity walls are indeed better at keeping the property dry and by extension insulated but only through their proper use - it’s the same with solid walls.

Let us know how your survey goes

Have ordered the survey, he's visiting the property next Wednesday. Will see what he says re insulation, but as you say we had planned to insulate the solid walls internally which is expensive, but cheaper than externally.

Will let you know re survey, fingers crossed there's nothing major.

Soldato
Have ordered the survey, he's visiting the property next Wednesday. Will see what he says re insulation, but as you say we had planned to insulate the solid walls internally which is expensive, but cheaper than externally.

Will let you know re survey, fingers crossed there's nothing major.

Just remeber - there is no such thing as a clean survey - there are ALWAYS problems. Good luck!

Soldato
Just remeber - there is no such thing as a clean survey - there are ALWAYS problems. Good luck!

Thanks!

Random question - we've had an offer accepted and are insuring cost with the lawyers, surveyors etc, yet the property is still marked as "under offer"? I said to the agent it should be "sold STC" and he agreed but it still hasn't changed in about 4 days. Am I wrong in pushing for it to be changed? Our offer was under asking so part of me thinks they're still holding out for a better offer...which would be very frustrating.

Soldato
Thanks!

Random question - we've had an offer accepted and are insuring cost with the lawyers, surveyors etc, yet the property is still marked as "under offer"? I said to the agent it should be "sold STC" and he agreed but it still hasn't changed in about 4 days. Am I wrong in pushing for it to be changed? Our offer was under asking so part of me thinks they're still holding out for a better offer...which would be very frustrating.
It's not like it makes a difference, they could still receive and accept a higher offer when it's SSTC

Soldato
Thanks!

If the agent is still showing the property to prospective buyers, they need to confirm this to you in writing. It’s the law and should have been done so at the time of acceptance of your offer.

‘Sold subject to contract’ and ‘under offer’ mean the same thing. All agents describe it differently.

You need clarity from the agent as to whether the property is still being shown.

In these circumstances the agent will likely follow the instruction of their client. Call them and see.

Soldato
It's not like it makes a difference, they could still receive and accept a higher offer when it's SSTC

Only from people who have seen the property before the acceptance of the current offer. Anyone who offers without seeing it should be completely ignored in my opinion but this is rare.

It’s inportant to find out if it is still being shown.

Until exchange of contracts, anyone who has seen the property previously is entitled to offer and the agent is legally bound to put it forward.

Back
Top Bottom