What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the CW watches that put people off them?
I understand the styling has changed, I have noticed a lot of complaints in reviews, i get that it isn't to everyone's tastes but I'm surprised to see the comparisons to fashion brand watches/cheap trend watches. I only ask as i have a single watch and only in the last 12 or so months have had the urge to get another and by my own admittance am pretty green with the hobby. I looked and noted a certified cosc swiss eta movement, by all accounts well built and to some peoples unhappy take apparently moving in it's own direction re: styling.
I had no idea this kind of mix would result in dislike to this degree.

Caporegime
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the CW watches that put people off them?
I understand the styling has changed, I have noticed a lot of complaints in reviews, i get that it isn't to everyone's tastes but I'm surprised to see the comparisons to fashion brand watches/cheap trend watches. I only ask as i have a single watch and only in the last 12 or so months have had the urge to get another and by my own admittance am pretty green with the hobby. I looked and noted a certified cosc swiss eta movement, by all accounts well built and to some peoples unhappy take apparently moving in it's own direction re: styling.
Lets change the question a little... what did you get the impression, from the many reviews you read and also the recent posts in this thread, that the complaints are about? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
After digging in to the brand more than the specific model of watch I was looking at it appears QC is a big issue for them, surprising and disappointing as they have a good mix going, I didn't like the older styling all that much. I knew it was quite a young brand and based out of England but i didn't see such complaints when researching the C60 trident watches specifically.

Im going in to town over the weekend and will hunt down a Oris aquis to try, by all accounts the build quality rivals omegas?

Soldato

I think it's to do with the following:

-Logo design changes which doesnt look anywhere near as clean as before. Off center doesn't look right to me.
-Prices have gone up a fair bit over the last few years and they have been trying to break a bit more into the mainstream from what it looks like. I don't personally care but a lot of people believe they don't hold the heritage to justify the prices.
-Hints of QC issues popping up online.
-Lost some of the personal touch. As far as I know all watches used to come with handsigned letter from the owner.

Seems to be the usual things that happen to a brand as they attempt to expand.

I really like their c60 bronze trident but think I would rather hold off for a few years and try and save for a Tudor black bay bronze instead.

Soldato
Mostly just wear the Fenix (bottom right) because, well, it's better than all the others.

http://imgur.com/OzZPKuj

OzZPKuj

Caporegime
I think it's to do with the following:

-Logo design changes which doesnt look anywhere near as clean as before. Off center doesn't look right to me.
-Prices have gone up a fair bit over the last few years and they have been trying to break a bit more into the mainstream from what it looks like. I don't personally care but a lot of people believe they don't hold the heritage to justify the prices.
-Hints of QC issues popping up online.
-Lost some of the personal touch. As far as I know all watches used to come with handsigned letter from the owner.

Seems to be the usual things that happen to a brand as they attempt to expand.

I really like their c60 bronze trident but think I would rather hold off for a few years and try and save for a Tudor black bay bronze instead.

I don't like their new branding, the designs are boring, upped the prices and don't like the fact that they are trying to position themselves as a cheaper alternative to swiss brands.

Man of Honour
Not hints of QC issues for me. I had one watch come with the bracelet not even attached on one side! Not broken, not damaged but evidently not checked. Some have been perfect but that is what QC is all about, making sure everything is perfect when it leaves.

Associate
I'd stick with this also. Watch winders make sense in terms of minimising wear if you don't have a quick set date function on an auto due to the wear caused by cycling through all the dates necessary to get to 'today's' date. For all other instances (bar some perpetual calendars and probably some other ludicrously awesome complications), I'd stick with hand winding.

Rotating the crown for a minute or two every so often to reset the date puts 2 minutes of wear on the mechanism. Compared to 24 hours of wear on the mechanism running it on a winder day in day out.

https://youtu.be/jQRLDpqYH0Q?t=85

From 1:25 on ...

Soldato
Rotating the crown for a minute or two every so often to reset the date puts 2 minutes of wear on the mechanism. Compared to 24 hours of wear on the mechanism running it on a winder day in day out.

https://youtu.be/jQRLDpqYH0Q?t=85

From 1:25 on ...
It's completely different wear...

Manual hand set wears the canon pinon a heck of a lot compared to just having the watch constantly running. But it's different wear to what you're referring to on a winder. In normal use on the wrist and worn regularly very little wear occurs to the canon pinion as the hands are not being set regularly or for prolonged cycles.

Watches without quick set dates are from a time when people typically had one watch only, and it was worn constantly. Such watches weren't designed to need to have the date changed regularly and as such doing so causes undue wear.

As do winders. But to completely different components.

Last edited:
Associate
It's completely different wear...

Manual hand set wears the canon pinon a heck of a lot compared to just having the watch constantly running. But it's different wear to what you're referring to on a winder. In normal use on the wrist and worn regularly very little wear occurs to the canon pinion as the hands are not being set regularly or for prolonged cycles.

Watches without quick set dates are from a time when people typically had one watch only, and it was worn constantly. Such watches weren't designed to need to have the date changed regularly and as such doing so causes undue wear.

As do winders. But to completely different components.

I am aware its a different kind of wear but the winder will still cause more albeit different wear.

Current 3186/3285 movement GMT Master IIs are modern watches from the modern era that dont have quickset and dont seem to suffer additional wear when being set.

Associate
Could anyone recommend a cheap outdoor sports watch please? I don't usually wear a watch these days, however I coach and referee weekly and it's a hassle having to use my phone to check the time and stopwatch which is all the features I need and a rubber strap. Thanks in advance.

Associate
Hey fellas. Looking for a special watch as sentimental treat for an amazing year in which we've brought newborns home from hospital etc.

Thinking along lines of Christopher Ward C1 Grand Malvern 5 Day Automatic.

https://www.christopherward.ch/watches/dress/c1-grand-malvern-5-day-automatic-range

Any other recommendations for classic, very clean and simple dress watch very welcome, budget circa 1.5k GBP. Know nothing technical about watches. Thanks.

Associate
Hey fellas. Looking for a special watch as sentimental treat for an amazing year in which we've brought newborns home from hospital etc.

Thinking along lines of Christopher Ward C1 Grand Malvern 5 Day Automatic.

https://www.christopherward.ch/watches/dress/c1-grand-malvern-5-day-automatic-range

Any other recommendations for classic, very clean and simple dress watch very welcome, budget circa 1.5k GBP. Know nothing technical about watches. Thanks.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/colle...er-complication-01-781-7729-4051-07-5-21-66fc

Maybe a few more complications than you’d like considering your after a clean look, but if I were after a dress watch in your budget that’d be mine!

Back
Top Bottom