**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Caporegime
That depends on which reviews you're looking at. Some of them are unreasonable, but there is a lot wrong with the game. Really. A lot. Starting from the basic idea and including most of how everything is implemented. It's buggy as well.

If you're into Fallout and you can ignore all the bad points of FO76 (there are a lot of them) and you enjoy exploring and reading notes and environmental storytelling then FO76 is mediocre. That's about as good a review as you'll see.

If you want a survival game, there are better ones.
If you want an MP game, either PvP or co-op PvE, there are better ones.
If you want a SP game, there are better ones.
If you want a Fallout game, there are better ones.

If you want those things badly mixed together, then FO76 might be your thing.

The controls on PC are startlingly bad, by the way. My guess is that nobody was assigned any time to work on them - it was just a quick and dirty port from Xbox.

I'd give it 4/10. Not as crap as some reviews suggest, but that's my opinion. Even Oxhorn, who makes a living primarily from Bethesda games, isn't recommending it. He's careful and polite about not recommending it, but he's not recommending it. And neither am I. I think it's worth a small amount of money to me, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. I'm playing it. I'll probably play it for a while.

I can definitely see the play value (i have much better things to spend money on frankly), but the longevity is clearly not there going by high-level players and basic gameplay loops being rather meh. But it does just feel like a game of instant gratification chasing, which pretty much began when they ripped out the loot system of Skyrim and made FO4's, which although is nice in it's own way, they should really find a combination that isn't so MMO like.

Soldato
So it's not as crap as internet reviews suggest then?
Yes and no. Some of it is passable you need to consider this as Fallout 4 DLC as that is all it is really set in a massive new map area in West Virginia. As long as you do not expect anymore than that & do not mind the usual Bethesda bugs waiting to be fixed then if you liked Fallout 4 you will find something to like here.

I also agree with most of the negativity but I have well over 100 hours now so it must be doing something right somewhere ;) (I liked Fallout 4 so....). Most players are treating it as a Solo game the MMO part is the very least of the issues!

Soldato
I've been on the fence for a bit now as I started playing fallout 4 and loved it and this new game is very different and still doesn't support 21.9 as I've had to play 4 on a lower rez as I've got a 34" screen and it would have been nice not to go through the initial files to get it half decent.

Associate

I'm about 30 hours in now and it keeps getting better. Content wise I have a ton of stuff still to do.

I guess it depends on what your expectations are going in but it's been a long time since I have had such an immersive experience. And I guess that's the rub. I was looking for an experience that sucks you in and tells a story through the detail and scope of the world, that immerses you in the atmosphere of the visual design and rich, detailed locations. That's what I found.

The multiplayer, now I have been playing mostly with my two sons, has been pretty amazing. They need to sort out the way PVP is initiated, preferably by having separate servers.

We had a couple of great battles yesterday involving firstly Super Mutants and Vertibots and then Molemen and Vertibots.

There are bugs and maybe I'm missing something but it was exactly what I was looking for.

Soldato
I've been on the fence for a bit now as I started playing fallout 4 and loved it and this new game is very different and still doesn't support 21.9 as I've had to play 4 on a lower rez as I've got a 34" screen and it would have been nice not to go through the initial files to get it half decent.
You can mod 21:9 its coming officially as well but safe to mod via the ini for now.
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/fallout-76-supports-ultrawide-resolutions-with-a-simple-ini-tweak/
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/213558/ultrawide-21-9-support?language[]=en
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/2?tab=files

Soldato

It is buggy, but it's already had two patches put out which has sorted a few of them, i'm guessing there will be more patches to come. People are crapping on it but there are some serious rose tinted glasses for FO:NV which is the best game ever.... (it was a bug filled ****show when it was initially released, some places had to come back to review it after a couple of months when it was playable).

I am having an absolute blast with the game, i logged on last night intending to explore a couple of new places, instead i spent two hours clearing out a scrapyard, building a load of turrets and setting up some resource collectors.

Loving it.

Caporegime

The defence squad for this game is something else, especially on reddit.

"It's fun with friends"

"It was Bethesda's B team, give them a break"

"All online games are buggy at launch"

"All games have flaws and massive FPS drops"

"The engine is fine, they don't need to replace it"

"It may be lacking now but just wait 6 months and it'll be worth all the money you paid!"

And then you get the reviewers...

bl3WYUQ.png

45194ZQ.png

This game isn't perfect
Gives it 10/10

There are more NPCs giving it 10/10 than there are NPCs in the actual game.

Back
Top Bottom