Is it worth getting the Nest over Hive for OpenTherm support?

Associate
Hi,

I have a Hive on order at the moment but was wondering if the Nest would be a better investment as it supports OpenTherm. Current boiler (Vaillant Ecotec 831 Plus) is 8 years old and doesn't support OpenTherm but thinking ahead when we come to replace it.

The Hive cost £109 with a free 3rd gen Echo Dot and the Nest is on offer at £150 with free stand. Is it worth paying the extra for the Nest?

Would both be compatible with current boiler and Siemens RDJ10RF wireless thermostat?

Thanks

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Well the existing thermostat just gets disconnected.

I initially bought Hive, this was because the really old boiler in the house I'd just bought had no thermostat at all :o It was on offer, and I knew I'd be eventually replacing the boiler with one that supported OpenTherm and was then going to give the Hive to my dad to replace his 'normal' wireless thermostat.

I wish I hadn't. Once Hive is setup, you cannot change the account it is registered to. You can't sell it, or even give it away and have all the functionality work. The only way to have the app functionality for a new owner is if you buy a new hub (£80) from Hive (this even applies if you buy a house that has Hive already fitted, no app function unless you give Hive money).

I now have a new boiler, and 3rd gen Nest.

I guess it depends what you plan to do in the future, and how long you want to keep the existing boiler - but I personally won't be giving Hive any more of my money. I wouldn't mind as much if they were up front about the cost - what irks me more is that a perfectly functional 'Hive Hub' goes into the bin and a brand new is made/bought. So wasteful. Bad company :(

Associate
OP
Well the existing thermostat just gets disconnected.

I initially bought Hive, this was because the really old boiler in the house I'd just bought had no thermostat at all :o It was on offer, and I knew I'd be eventually replacing the boiler with one that supported OpenTherm and was then going to give the Hive to my dad to replace his 'normal' wireless thermostat.

I wish I hadn't. Once Hive is setup, you cannot change the account it is registered to. You can't sell it, or even give it away and have all the functionality work. The only way to have the app functionality for a new owner is if you buy a new hub (£80) from Hive (this even applies if you buy a house that has Hive already fitted, no app function unless you give Hive money).

Pretty much sums up what I’ve been reading.

Going to return the Hive as I ordered a Nest last night. I think the extra cost will be worthwhile in the long run.

Associate
Pretty much sums up what I’ve been reading.

Going to return the Hive as I ordered a Nest last night. I think the extra cost will be worthwhile in the long run.

Just bought a Hive for my Vaillant ecotec 837, not fitted it yet. Only wanted basic function of being able to control it when out of the house due to our often erratic hours (no use setting a timer.)
Didn't know about the account thing.
The boiler is only 5 years old so if it lasts another 8-10 years along with the Hive that'll do me. By then better tech will be out to support better boilers no doubt!

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Didn't know about the account thing.

They don't make it very clear, but apparently its in their Ts&Cs (or thats's the line I got when I questioned it). I asked Amazon if they could include this on the product listing, and they actually refunded me the £80 it was going to cost to get a new hub. Thumbs up for Amazon, thumbs down for Hive!

Soldato
I ended up getting Nest. Didn't like the look of the Hives subscription model.

I might be mistaken but the Hive website indicated you can't remotely manage the unit without a monthly paid subscription.

Associate
I ended up getting Nest. Didn't like the look of the Hives subscription model.

I might be mistaken but the Hive website indicated you can't remotely manage the unit without a monthly paid subscription.

You taking about Hive Live?
The subscription thing is for perks and continued warranty I believe.
Not needed to remotely manage.

Associate
For the Vaillant ecoTec boilers you want and Vaillant vsmart as this will work with the ebus system which is Vaillants version of opentherm.

I had skimmed over the vsmart but when I saw it didn't support multizone I dismissed it as its something I'd consider.
Too much choice, that's the problem!

Back
Top Bottom