Need asus maximus advice for a newbie

Associate
I'm building my first PC unaided, and have no experience with liquid cooling at all. I've ordered all the bits I think I need. I've opted for a corsair h115i pro kit for the CPU and have a Asus rog maximus x formula motherboard on the way. Can anybody give some advice / recommendations on the whole vrm cooling channel thing. Is it important, what's the best way to set it up and are there other things to consider with cooling?

Soldato
The H115i is a stand alone cooler for your CPU and has nothing to do with the VRMs, they will have heatsinks attached for passive cooling. Just make sure you have the required case fans to ensure good air flow.

Associate
OP
Sorry, what I meant is I realise the h115i is for the CPU. I wondered if I ought to set up another system for the VRM channel, whether it's necessary / worth doing. And if so was looking for recommendations. Cheers

Associate
You're going to need a pump, reservoir, radiator, tubing and fittings. It's not worth the cost just to cool the VRM on that motherboard.

It will be fine passively cooled with just the case fans pushing air over it, it is designed with that in mind. I have a Maximus XI Formula myself, but I bought that because I already had a loop and I just added the VRM Block to it.

Personally, I would have gone for the Maximus Code if I didn't already have watercooling!

However it would be a great excuse to do your first custom loop....

Associate
OP
I think I'm starting to get my head around it, what's your opinion on cooling the GPU? It's a nvidea geforce rtx 2080 I'm guessing my options are either;
1- Just liquid cool the CPU and let fans do the rest
Or...
2- Set up a 2nd, custom loop that cools both the GPU and VRM.
Is that right? And is it a good idea? I'm not too worried about cost if it's worth doing (the I have no clue what a custom loop would cost). Thanks for all the help, just want to get it right

Associate
If you are staying with the Corsair H115i for now.

And can place the rad at the top of your case. I'd set the fans to pull air through the rad and down onto your CPU and VRM's.

You can also do the same with a custom water-cooling setup also.

Soldato
Sorry, what I meant is I realise the h115i is for the CPU. I wondered if I ought to set up another system for the VRM channel, whether it's necessary / worth doing. And if so was looking for recommendations. Cheers

It's hard to justify a custom loop just for VRMs. If you want to go custom then you want to ditch the AIO and put on a CPU block, and also a GPU block.

Soldato
I've got this board and have a air cooler on it for now as I'm saving up parts for a custom water cooling build,my 8700k is @4.8ghz 1.25v and have had no problem with vrm temp,I do have 2 140mm fans on the top of my case blowing air out for now but I'll be changing them to draw air in soon as I can control the dust better.
I will be cooling my vrms in the cooling loop just because I can.

Soldato
Just to clarify for you, you aren’t really watercooling; you’re using an AIO water cooler.

Setting up a loop requires a fair bit of knowledge and skill, and isn’t worth the cost imo for GPU, let alone VRMs. I use the Formula myself, it’s a great board for me, but that’s because I use the high current fan headers, Pump header, temperature header etc for a full custom loop.

If you can, my advice would be to return the Formula and get the Code, or an even a cheaper Mobo.

An AIO like the one you have can be used for any motherboard; it’s a plug and play solution for the mainstream, and does pretty decent job.

EDIT : FWIW I don’t currently use the VRM heatsink in my loop as my case is too restrictive on space. Temps are great, all my fans stay on minimum.

Back
Top Bottom