• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5820K bottleneck for a 1080ti?

Associate
Hi, looking for some input before shelling out on a potentially unnecessary upgrade. I've had a 1080ti for over a year and never been very pleased with it. Certainly, attaining higher FPS than my old card (980ti) but the experience has been worse. I kept getting constant stutters while gaming to the point it was basically unplayable. My average FPS would be fine, but it would occasionally tank to fps in the single digits. I RMA'd the card to EVGA and got a replacement, which seems much better, but it is still suffering from the same problem, just not as badly.

I mainly play fps games and notice particularly when I ADS that’s usually when I get a stutter. I can play the likes of BF5 etc and a million things can be going on screen and no issue, but it always seems to tank when I complete some sort of input (ADS being the main one). Even watching youtube videos while stutter from time to time even if the video has already downloaded. I also get a similar issue with my VR headset (HTC vive) at the start of a race as I set of, I get a brief desync and the IR camera's need to re-establish a connection and then I'm off. Again, I can have 20 plus cars on the grid and the framerate is typically fine but will tank seemingly randomly when I am out on my own.

I have a 5820k running at 4.375Ghz (35x1.25multiplier) and this is the max I can get out of that CPU. 4.4 and indeed 4.5Ghz will always crash no matter what voltage, multiplier or whatever else I have tried thus far. However, for that brief bit of time it does run on 4.5Ghz, it seems to work OK (no stutters). The temps peak at about 70 on the CPU, usually mid 60s. I also get the issue if I put my CPU back to stock settings.

I've looked around and the general concencious from my googling is a 5820K should not be holding back a 1080ti yet here I am...…….

Does anyone have any suggestions before I cut my losses and upgrade the CPU/Mobo?
NB, when my card was away for RMA, I went back to the 980ti and it had no stuttering issues.

Full spec:

1080TI
5820k @4.375Ghz
16GB RAM @ 3000Mhz
1000W Antec PSU
1TB NVME SSD
2x500GB SSD
2x3TB HDs

Thanks!

Permabanned
Hi, my first thought would be a fresh Windows install, format the Windows partition and clean install every software.
Just to make sure that it isn't the software.

Associate
I've currently got a 5820k and 1080Ti, very similar setup to yours, but currently putting together a Ryzen system.

Happy to run some benchmarks for comparison, but when I went from 4.2GHz to 4.3GHz it did feel (very subjectively) that the system was more stuttery than before. Maybe try winding back the OC, see if you have the same perception that I did...?

Associate
Yes, sometimes when you push the system a bit too far, even when it passes all the stability tests it feels and runs slower than when it is clocked lower. I have 5930k@4ghz with vega 64 and I never have any massive dips.
There might be possibility, that CPU throttles at certain points of gaming

Soldato
Slight curve ball, but BIOS up to date? Are the dips corresponding with any events in terms of spikes in CPU/GPU load?

Soldato
Slight curve ball, but BIOS up to date? Are the dips corresponding with any events in terms of spikes in CPU/GPU load?

This and also firmware on your NVME + SSD's.

A few more questions which may help people to diagnose. What board are you running? What resolution are you running? What screen refresh rate are you running? And just out of interest have you tried installing the OS on a different drive?

I would probably try running everything at stock until you find out what the issue is. There's obviously something wrong because that spec machine is still very capable, certainly shouldn't be having issues doing something as simple as streaming a YouTube video!

Soldato
Does it still happen with everything at stock? I had some odd issues exactly like that when I was trying to run a memory kit (not on the mobo QVL) with the XMP profile set, granted I was probably asking for trouble there. Also turn off Windows Games Mode and any other recording features, those have also caused stuttering issues for me in the past.

Associate
OP

It's the latest stable BIOS, theres a beta bios that I wasnt sure I wanted to risk... Mind you at this rate even if I brick the board I am going to get new kit anyway so might be worth the risk.

This and also firmware on your NVME + SSD's.

A few more questions which may help people to diagnose. What board are you running? What resolution are you running? What screen refresh rate are you running? And just out of interest have you tried installing the OS on a different drive?

ASUS SABERTOOTH X99/2560x1440@144hz. It is a Gsync monitor and I limit the FPS to 143. NB, I have tried turning off gsync and still does it and ofcourse so to does the VR headset.

I've done clean installs of the OS on both my NVME SSD and on the 1 of the other SSDs (I just checked and they are on latest firmware).

All the recording stuff, Geforce experience/windows DVR etc are all off, still does it.

I went back to stock settings there and it still does it, though perhaps not as obvious. Maybe placebo. Someone mentioned XMP, I put everything back to stock on the BIOS, still does it, went to try and OC the CPU again and still having the problem.

I'll record some gameplay as running geforce experience doesnt seem to make it any worse and post up when I get a chance. It seems particularly bad in unreal engine 4 games (PUBG/PostScriptum/Squad/Assetto Corsa Competitzione).

Soldato
It's the latest stable BIOS, theres a beta bios that I wasnt sure I wanted to risk... Mind you at this rate even if I brick the board I am going to get new kit anyway so might be worth the risk.

ASUS SABERTOOTH X99/2560x1440@144hz. It is a Gsync monitor and I limit the FPS to 143. NB, I have tried turning off gsync and still does it and ofcourse so to does the VR headset.

I've done clean installs of the OS on both my NVME SSD and on the 1 of the other SSDs (I just checked and they are on latest firmware).

All the recording stuff, Geforce experience/windows DVR etc are all off, still does it.

I went back to stock settings there and it still does it, though perhaps not as obvious. Maybe placebo. Someone mentioned XMP, I put everything back to stock on the BIOS, still does it, went to try and OC the CPU again and still having the problem.

I'll record some gameplay as running geforce experience doesnt seem to make it any worse and post up when I get a chance. It seems particularly bad in unreal engine 4 games (PUBG/PostScriptum/Squad/Assetto Corsa Competitzione).

Which Gsync monitor is it? I have a Dell S2716DG and will get stutters like you describe in certain games like the Witcher 3, Final Fantasy XV and sometimes in BFV. I too have a [email protected], a Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion motherboard, a GTX 1080 and 32GB RAM.

I've found that X99 is sensitive to the Windows power plan in certain games. Have you tried high performance instead of balanced or vice versa?

Back
Top Bottom