What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Venom.

Yet another wasted opportunity to produce what could, and should, have been an awesome movie.

The acting, the CGI, that ridiculous ******* accent...it was all ******* ****

:(
Have to say you’re going against the majority here. Most said they enjoyed it a great deal? I thought it good fun.

Associate
Have to say you’re going against the majority here. Most said they enjoyed it a great deal? I thought it good fun.

I'm glad you enjoyed it MissChief, but sadly as an avid reader of Venom material in my younger days I'm genuinely gutted with how this movie turned out.

So much wasted potential, for just another quick money grab :(

Associate
Nightcrawler (2014) 7.5/10

Designed for uncomfortable viewing but you can see it being very true. A film from the outset that you know its going to build throughout, worth a watch.

Man of Honour
Goonies - great fun as a kid (IIRC) but completely nonsensical as an adult. Fun characters, some cool sets and lots charm with the ‘coming of age’-ness but otherwise, in all other ways you’d judge a film, eh 6/10

Robocop - great film 9/10

Caporegime
Venom 7/10

What an enjoyable film, it was great! I was expecting a train wreck from the reviews and reading online but it was damn good enjoyable flick.

I do wonder sometimes if people over critique films and forget what they actually for, escapism.

Yes it’s no citizen Kane or some other revered classic, but it doesn’t have to be.

Soldato
^ Pretty much this.

Not seen the film but I could not agree more, real stunts over CGI any day.

Everyone jokes about Roger Moore Bond films back in the day - at least the stunts were real.

... and Puppets (Star Wars) were far better! :)
I don't see how you can do a Venom movie without a **** ton of CGI.

Anyway, yeah, the film could've been better, but it was a decent watch and held my attention well enough.
While it wasn't the Venom movie we should've had, it was a fun ride for what it was.

Soldato
2001: A Space Odyssey.. I want my 2.5 hours back. It's been one of those films that's been on my watch list for ages and I finally got around to seeing it. However, I must be some sort of film heathen as everyone raves about it but I thought it was drawn out and made no sense.

I wish I hadn't watched it in a way, as the image in my head of it was better than the actual thing. I can see that in 1968 it would have been a visual masterpiece but 20 minutes of monkeys running around, 10 minutes of flashing lights and long drawn out space ship scenes bored the hell out of me. If they'd cut the monkeys and floating baby, concentrated on the middle bit with HAL it would have been so much better.

Caporegime
Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado.

The genre and military / political theme is right up my street and I really enjoyed the action, but:

1. It was much weaker than the first
2. The last 5 minutes were a little silly

6.5/10

Soldato
2001: A Space Odyssey.. I want my 2.5 hours back. It's been one of those films that's been on my watch list for ages and I finally got around to seeing it. However, I must be some sort of film heathen as everyone raves about it but I thought it was drawn out and made no sense.

I wish I hadn't watched it in a way, as the image in my head of it was better than the actual thing. I can see that in 1968 it would have been a visual masterpiece but 20 minutes of monkeys running around, 10 minutes of flashing lights and long drawn out space ship scenes bored the hell out of me. If they'd cut the monkeys and floating baby, concentrated on the middle bit with HAL it would have been so much better.

Little wonder you didn't enjoy or 'get' the movie if you thought those were monkeys.

Man of Honour

I know what you mean though then it would just be any other sci-fi movie.

Though it was undoubtedly a visual masterpiece at the time I don't rate the movie at all especially not the interpretation that is raved about as there is a huge whacking hole in it due to the misrepresentation of the civilised man and an enlightened species with a huge fallacy when it comes to the nature of an advanced civilisation - but unfortunately so much is left intentionally vague you can never be quite sure that isn't what the writers intended and whether they are just hiding behind provoking debate or whether there is something more intended there.

Soldato
Ninja Scroll

It was more violent than I remember it being when I watched it on TV in the 90s. Great action sequences. I don't think I've seen such an inventive range of adversaries in a film/anime before.

9/10

Soldato
Ninja Scroll

It was more violent than I remember it being when I watched it on TV in the 90s. Great action sequences. I don't think I've seen such an inventive range of adversaries in a film/anime before.

9/10

Yeah it's a fantastic anime, loved the end song too. I mind being heavily into Samurai Spirits at the time and thinking the characters were a rip off of Samurai Spirits 2, however the Japanese release arrived before the SNK sequel so not sure who inspired who.

Obviously both were heavily influenced by Japanese folklore.

Back
Top Bottom