Asus Maximus XI Hero blank screen when loading up games

Associate
Right then I'm having a few issues with this thing now and I haven't a clue where to ask.

Everything runs good when just doing normal windows things but as soon as I run a game Elite Dangerous or DiRT Rally it seems to load up but as soon as the game is ready to be played the screen blanks out completely like I've pulled the cable out of the monitor with the windows 10 disconnect sound with my ASUS GFX 970 Strix. I haven't overclocked anything and using stock settings. Updated the Asus Maximums Hero XI to bios 0602

From experiments I have tried it looks like the integrated gfx on the mobo take over even when it is turned off in bios.

Playing Elite Dangerous or DiRT Rally I have these issues.

I've tried different HDMI > HDMI cables and different ports,
Different PSU > PCIE cables and ports on the Seasonic Focus Plus 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
Asus GFX 480 works
Intergated gfx port works

My plan was to use my 970 til the prices of 2080Ti's came down a little or wait for afew months til i get the funds together. I've done everything i can think of to find the problem but I'm a noob and have no ideas left to try. I NEED help or this system is pretty much an expensive brick which i cant use for what I intended all along to play Elite Dangerous, DiRT Rally and go VR in future.

I NEED HELP

Associate
OP
It seems that even if I turn off the integrated graphics in bios its still active when I load in my games and when the game actually runs (as it past the loading screens to actually play) it blanks out. If i take out the monitor cable from the my 970 and plug into the integrated display port the game comes up on the monitor even though i have confirmed that I've disabled it in bios.

Also found an error after I've started up windows 10 pro in the notifications after the blank screen
" Display Driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic display driver instead. Check windows update for newer display drivers"
Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 OS Build: 17134.441

Soldato
It seems that even if I turn off the integrated graphics in bios its still active when I load in my games and when the game actually runs (as it past the loading screens to actually play) it blanks out. If i take out the monitor cable from the my 970 and plug into the integrated display port the game comes up on the monitor even though i have confirmed that I've disabled it in bios.

Also found an error after I've started up windows 10 pro in the notifications after the blank screen
" Display Driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic display driver instead. Check windows update for newer display drivers"
Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 OS Build: 17134.441

Have you tried using DDU to wipe the gpu drivers and reinstall them? That would be my next step.

Soldato
Yup tried that yesterday, even did a complete reinstall of windows when that didn't work and just installed 1 game, same.

Strange issue, if its disabled in the bios it shouldnt be running in Windows, can you disable the iGPU in device manager completely ?

Failing that, when you launch a game, are you able to access the games options menu, maybe the game is defaulting to the iGPU instead of your graphics card, it might just be a case of having to swap the setting to your graphics card.

Did this issue only start after you updated the bios ? if you were not having an issue before, id roll back the bios, flash the previous version back onto the board.

Associate
OP
Strange issue, if its disabled in the bios it shouldnt be running in Windows, can you disable the iGPU in device manager completely ?

Failing that, when you launch a game, are you able to access the games options menu, maybe the game is defaulting to the iGPU instead of your graphics card, it might just be a case of having to swap the setting to your graphics card.

Did this issue only start after you updated the bios ? if you were not having an issue before, id roll back the bios, flash the previous version back onto the board.

Was happening before bios update, i figured it needed a bios update but same. Windows only shows the 970 as a display card nothing else. No access to the settings of the game as soon asI get that far in it goes blank. I think once I got a little further and checked the settings that it was for the 970 only but blanked out as soon as I started actually playing.

Weird issue. Have you tried a different gpu?
Tried my VERY old 480 which seems to work fine no issues.

Was trying to use the 970 til I get funds together to get the 2080Ti in a couple of months, otherwise i would have got one.

Permabanned
I think its just a BIOS/driver issue and it will disappear in time. The board is new enough that it's going to have issues. I would be tempted to see if you can try a more up to date gpu such as a 10 or 20 series. There are places you can buy one and return it without question.

Associate
OP
Right the good news i think. Tried my GFX 970 in the lower PCI-E slot and the game works no issues at all, started up and played for a few mins.

So from that it looks like the top PCI-E slot is messed up somehow, even though I have made sure the 970 has been plugged in fully etc

Soldato
Right the good news i think. Tried my GFX 970 in the lower PCI-E slot and the game works no issues at all, started up and played for a few mins.

So from that it looks like the top PCI-E slot is messed up somehow, even though I have made sure the 970 has been plugged in fully etc

Brilliant news. Sometimes a rough removal can damage a pci slot, forgetting to unlatch etc

Associate
OP
ok I may have found the problem. A friend of mine found a link and sent me this. It describes my EXACT issue.

https://knowledge.seasonic.com/article/20-focus-plus-and-gpu-potential-compatibility-issues

FOCUS PLUS & ASUS GTX970 STRIX: In very limited instances, black screen may occur under heavy VGA usage. Extensive testing showed that certain VGA cards may emit higher than normal ripple when under heavy load and using a modified PCIe cable with enhanced shielding resolved the issue.

Back
Top Bottom