8600k overclock

Associate
How's it going guys

I recently upgraded my Asus ROG Strix H370 F Gaming mobo to Z390 ROG Maximus XI Hero.
I also upgraded my cooling to the ROG RYU 240 water cooling.

I was able to get an overclock right away to 5ghz with no issues and my temp under load is 55 degrees
Not a bad temp I think and I'm now wondering how far this chip will go!

What do you guys think?

Soldato
I'll try that, maybe the info I was looking at isn't great.

I tried the auto tuner for 4.9 and that instantly crashes. Thought an auto tuner would work lol

Associate
How's it going guys

I recently upgraded my Asus ROG Strix H370 F Gaming mobo to Z390 ROG Maximus XI Hero.
I also upgraded my cooling to the ROG RYU 240 water cooling.

I was able to get an overclock right away to 5ghz with no issues and my temp under load is 55 degrees
Not a bad temp I think and I'm now wondering how far this chip will go!

What do you guys think?

Absolutely no idea without you saying what vcore it's using....

Associate
I'll try that, maybe the info I was looking at isn't great.

I tried the auto tuner for 4.9 and that instantly crashes. Thought an auto tuner would work lol

It will if the chip is good enough for 4.9.... ;)

Auto tuner is far from the best way to oc btw, from playing with it myself, it overvolts a fair bit more than the chip needs.

Soldato
make sure you test it properly.

I also took my 8600k straight to 5ghz, it booted in windows fine, could browse etc. aida64 benchmarks were no issue.

I also passed a couple of runs of intel xtu stress test (that doesnt test avx).

Then I decided to run heavier tests the intel xtu bench (does use avx) blue screened, and also the asus bench tool could blue screen the cpu as well. In addition booting up a linux live cd caused a segfault at 5ghz. I could get 5ghz stable at what I consider a really high vcore (1.38v), but I settled at 4.8ghz.

The reputation of 5ghz been an easy overclock I think comes from the following.

cherry picked reviewer parts
people tending to like to brag about good cpu's but not moan about bad parts, some confess to only hitting 5ghz after returning and getting replacement from places like amazon which have easy return policies.
people having a habit of not proper stress testing.
people achieving 5ghz only with an AVX offset (cheating)
running super high vcores.

Also even 4,8ghz is not 100% solid, I discovered if I enable cstates, I can occasionally stil get a BSOD. I turn off cstates anyway now for coil whine issues, and just make sure I still use adaptive offset voltage so the cpu can still be in a low power state at idle/low usage.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 8600K will hit 5Ghz easier than the 8700K as it does not have HT. Though I suggest the hype of the 'easy' 5Ghz of both 8700K/8600K has been slightly overblown by mainly the retailers.

Soldato
I heard the same theory, the problem is it wouldnt surprise me if 8600k gets lesser binned chips as the official clocks on the 8700k are higher.

Back
Top Bottom