Chances of a big lotto win reduced further

Caporegime
In their infinite wisdom, they have decided to remove the millionaire raffle in favour of higher lower tier prizes.

Now I don't know about you, but when I do occasionally go on the lottery it's because of the chance of a life changing sum, now that the raffle is being removed and with the additional balls which were introduced, seems like it's even more of a waste of money.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/78788...ot-changes-the-rules-sparking-boycott-threat/

Soldato
For some reason I've always found it appealing, despite the poor odds.

Just the concept that there is a very small, yet non zero, chance that all money worries will permanently go away is worth the occasionally flutter in my mind.

Man of Honour
For some reason I've always found it appealing, despite the poor odds.

Just the concept that there is a very small, yet non zero, chance that all money worries will permanently go away is worth the occasionally flutter in my mind.

There's a vastly higher chance that you'll die as a result of putting on your socks and all your worries will permanently go away.

And no, that's not hyperbole. The chance of dying as a result of putting on your socks is entire orders of magnitude higher than the chance of winning enough money on the lottery to make all your money worries permanently go away.

In fact, even if by some spectacular freak of chance you did win a large amount of money on the lottery even that probably wouldn't make your money worries go away permanently. Many lottery winners end up broke.

It's a particularly bad way of gambling that relies on manipulating the fact that almost all people are incapable of understanding large numbers and extremely bad at understanding that repeated small payments add up. Humans are generally extremely bad at applying maths. £100 is almost always perceived as being far more money than £2 50 times. Sure, people can do such simple maths and calculate that it's £100 either way, but they'll perceive the former as being more money than the latter even after they know it's the same amount. As for odds, any number over about 1000 registers about the same. Few if any people can really understand big numbers. It's why there are numerous videos, images and pages online trying to represent big numbers in understandable ways, e.g. constructing a scale model of a miniscule portion of a miniscule portion of the observable universe on a scale so small that the sun is a small pea and the Earth is a speck invisible to the naked eye centimetres away...and the nearest star is a small pea so far away it takes hours to drive there and you couldn't even make the model in the UK because you'd run out of land.

Soldato
As for odds, any number over about 1000 registers about the same. Few if any people can really understand big numbers.
And the way people see something for sale at say £5,999 and look at it as 5000 and not 6000

The amount of times I heard someone say things like this to me "that car only £5000 when it has a £5995 price tag "

Associate
I occasionally buy a euromillions ticket. I know that the odds of winning are infinitesimally small but I feel that the dream of winning is easily worth the occasional 2 quid.

When I receive the 'we have news about your ticket' email I'll leave it a day before checking the details. Invariably I've won £2.70, but it doesn't matter as I've gone about my day imagining that I'm a millionaire.

Man of Honour
The chances of winning the Euromillions is ~140 million to 1
could you imagen 140m horses lined up for a race and you have to pick the winner :o
the starting line would be just shy of 87,000 miles wide if every stall was 1m wide, so the starting line would circle the earth around 3.5 times lol

Soldato
I sometimes buy a Thunderball lucky dip, from the shop as spending a £1 and having a random flutter is part of the excitement. You don't get that by having an online account where you have to top up a balance first.

Just winning £500K will make me very happy.

Caporegime
could you imagen 140m horses lined up for a race and you have to pick the winner :o
the starting line would be just shy of 87,000 miles wide if every stall was 1m wide, so the starting line would circle the earth around 3.5 times lol

Vxf9Xho.jpg.gif

Soldato

Lol

Man of Honour
My take is, if you ain’t in it, you can’t win it.
I do one set of numbers on the Euro, every week, both draws, and one set on the Lotto, also both draws every week.
This sets me back £9.00 per week.
That doesn’t make a dent in my standard of living, I still go in a pub whenever I feel like it, and I still take my wife out to dinner, at least once per week.
If, in laying out that £9.00 per week, my wife and/or I had to go without something, then I’d stop laying out the £9.00, but while it doesn’t affect my life, I’ll carry on doing it.
I’ll probably never win anything big, but who knows, maybe I will, but I couldn’t if I didn’t buy a ticket.

Soldato
And the way people see something for sale at say £5,999 and look at it as 5000 and not 6000

The amount of times I heard someone say things like this to me "that car only £5000 when it has a £5995 price tag "
I've genuinely never met anyone who thinks that way, certainly not to my knowledge and certainly never had anyone tell me that their £2.99 'thing' cost 2 quid. you need better friends :p

Its basically a stupid person tax
yes, yes of course it is Albert.

Back
Top Bottom