asus h170 pro whats the best i7 i can fit

Associate
Hi guys im running the above board with an
i5 [email protected] processor
4 x corsair cmk8gx4m2a2400c14r ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX1080
whats the biggest/best i7 i can fit to this config please i cant overclock to save my life so suggestions of out of the box solutions would be gratefully received

Man of Honour
as you're using a H170 board, you can't overclock a CPU anyway (except for bclk overclocking)
the fastest processor is 7700k that will fit into your board.
failing that (or if it's cheaper) then the 7700 (non-k) as you can't overclock -k chips anyway with the board that you have.

but please note, you may need a bios update before you can use the 7-series CPUs.
if you'd rather not do that, then consider the 6700 or 6700k instead.
they're basically the same chips as the 7700/k, just a couple hundred mhz lower clocked.

Associate
OP
I know I sound really useless bit could you give me some links to possible candidates ? I'm happy to upgrade bios but I'm having issues getting the bios updater to work

Man of Honour
I know I sound really useless bit could you give me some links to possible candidates ?
what do you mean?

like this?
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £958.67 (includes shipping: £8.70)

tbh, better to buy it used currently. h170 is dead-end tech, no need to spend a pretty penny to get a new CPU

bios: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/H170-PRO/HelpDesk_BIOS/ (if you gave the correct motherboard model)
how to update bios:

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE/BRICK YOUR MOTHERBOARD WHILST UPDATING BIOS

Man of Honour
So your suggesting a new motherboard may be the way to go also ?
no.
h170 with an i7 processor still has some life left, just that the whole platform has been superseded.
hence the advise of getting a used CPU, rather than buying it new.

Man of Honour
if you're not comfortable with updating bios, then look for 6th gen processors.
top of the list is 6700k then 6700
i wouldn't pay more than £180 for a used 6700k, or more than £150 for a used 6700

Associate
OP
A don't mind doing the bios update but I was getting issues with the Asus bios updater program and windows 10. I'm away from the machine at the moment but if I can flash it then a 7th gen it is but if this bios flashing problem persists I will look lower as you suggested. Just hope what ever I do is a considerable number improvement on what I have running at the moment

Associate
OP
Well pubg started stuttering today lol but mainly for processing files for my 3d printers. Slicing complicated 3d models takes quite a lot of processing power. I also stream live unboxings and reviews on YouTube which is also processor heavy.

Thanks for all your help I really do appreciate it

Soldato
Sell your board with processor and get this

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £287.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Was going to add ram, but given you got 32gb of compatible ram there’s no point, but a big upgrade over your current i5 and more up to date and cheaper than just one of this kabylake processors suggested.

Back
Top Bottom