35mm negative scan line grain

Associate
Hi everyone

I'm looking for some help with a scan I recently picked up. I'm using the Hp Scanjet g4010 to scan in 35mm negatives at 4800dpi and getting some strange grain patterns. I'm not sure if its to do with the film being out of date, the way it's been processed or the scanner itself.

Banding coloured grain seems to appear in whites of the photo in some shots its really noticeable others not so much.

Any tips of on how to reduce or fix this would be great, as noise reduction doesn't seem to affect it.

Examples:

i.imgur.com/5sLn6B3.jpg

i.imgur.com/TNXvdAb.jpg

i.imgur.com/oegt08Z.jpg

Soldato
Any reason why you are scanning film at 4800 DPI?
In digital terms that's nearly 31 megapixels so sounds like overkill to me for film and maybe the reason for the highlighted noise problem.

Associate
OP
Any reason why you are scanning film at 4800 DPI?
In digital terms that's nearly 31 megapixels so sounds like overkill to me for film and maybe the reason for the highlighted noise problem.

I tried lower dpi started at 600dpi but the noise was more intense in the white areas of the negative...

Soldato
is there an auto mode on the scanner you can try?

Takes a lot of trial and error to get good negative scans. I use an Epson V550, tweaked a lot of settings before I good really good quality shots.

Back
Top Bottom