*** The Google Pixel Slate Thread ***

Associate
Technically it's a chrome OS tablet rather than android. I suspect due to the nature of the OS it will not be dumped quite as unceremoniously as the Pixel C. Either way the issues at this stage are unforgivable for a device this expensive.

Associate
Technically it's a chrome OS tablet rather than android. I suspect due to the nature of the OS it will not be dumped quite as unceremoniously as the Pixel C. Either way the issues at this stage are unforgivable for a device this expensive.

Even more annoying about the Pixel C that it started off as a Chrome OS device... even though I wasn't buying one, I'm still gutted - but not surprised - about how the Pixel Slate's currently turning out.

Associate
Even more annoying about the Pixel C that it started off as a Chrome OS device... even though I wasn't buying one, I'm still gutted - but not surprised - about how the Pixel Slate's currently turning out.

Same mate. Although I didn't get one at launch, about this time last year I took advantage of a black friday deal to get a Pixel C. Shame it wasn't ChromeOS instead. The tablet didn't last too long in my company, for various reasons. It just wasn't a very good experience, and this was something like 2 years after launch. Based on that experience, Google has a lot of proving to do before I would drop this kind of figure on one of their gadgets, knowing how they operate. Heck, even the Pixelbook is STILL not free from bugs 2 years on from launch (and still overpriced).

Soldato
Yeah my bad, keep forgetting that Google are trying something new. Either way, I can't seeing it succeed at all - there's just no sustained marketing for it like most of their devices. To put themselves to the level that Apple are is hilarious - Apple got there through customer trust. Google just haven't got any of that.

I'm glad my Pixel C is running just fine with Lineage. Even battery life is still as good as stock. I just hope it never gives up on me.

Soldato
OP
So update, I had cancelled my order of the m3 as the reviews seem poo but I've just looked into my Google One account and there was 25% off code so I've ordered the i5 model with £250 off :D that makes it cheaper than the m3.

Still might change my mind :o

Soldato
OP
worth keeping or is it already packaged up to go back?

The Android stuff is buggy however standard chrome stuff is super quick. The Amazon prime app struggles however the Youtube via chrome website plays 2160p without issues.

Keeping so far as the Android side will get better. Screen is very bright and speakers are really good.

Associate
The Android stuff is buggy however standard chrome stuff is super quick. The Amazon prime app struggles however the Youtube via chrome website plays 2160p without issues.

Keeping so far as the Android side will get better. Screen is very bright and speakers are really good.

i know what you mean about the amazon app.. i use the 2015 pixel chromebook and its never run properly in all the months i've had access to the play apps.. google seem to be in no rush to fix things :)

Associate

To be honest, apps are overrated anyway. Even on the iPad which has better apps than Android tablets, there are often frustrating restrictions. I myself am going back towards the web for that reason. If I had a Slate, in all honesty, the only tablet apps I would likely want to run is something like Netflix for the ability to download, but then the Android version can't even run HD, so.... I would probably do the same as you in all honesty, but then that makes me wonder if the Pixelbook wouldn't be a better buy for most people unless they REALLY want to use it like a tablet.

Man of Honour
So update, I had cancelled my order of the m3 as the reviews seem poo but I've just looked into my Google One account and there was 25% off code so I've ordered the i5 model with £250 off :D that makes it cheaper than the m3.

Still might change my mind :o

Just had a look and noticed the same - quite keen on something that runs Android and Works nicely with my Google Chromecast as the iPad can be a pain with streaming certain things.
Probably more likely to opt for the Pixelbook (as I've already got an iPad/Tablet) - also the PB seems to be well regarded but the Slate reviews are very mixed!!

Wow, ordered 6pm last night and delivery wasnt until early 2019 but it arrived 2pm today :eek:

i5 model

Thats good to know, I'd consider at least trying one to see what I think of it v a Pixelbook!

Soldato
OP
Well I got my Pixel Slate keyboard today and it makes it so much more useful. Yeah all the reviews are true, on the lap its a bit dodgy.

I've moved on to the beta channel of chrome and the Android apps are more stable.

Even using iLO from HP to control my Windows Server :D

Soldato
What a surprise. I’ve been saying for a long time that they’ve got zero vision for their hardware. Good luck to their supposed console :D Which reminds me, I need to get rid of my G.Home at some point this year.

Associate
What a surprise. I’ve been saying for a long time that they’ve got zero vision for their hardware. Good luck to their supposed console :D Which reminds me, I need to get rid of my G.Home at some point this year.

I know right. Who's going to splurge on the console when we all know they'll dump it as a failed experiment in a couple of years.

I really wanted to get on board totally with Google but they have made it damn near impossible.

Back
Top Bottom