**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Associate
Anyone else lost the weather display from the home screen? Just noticed it missing, restarted the phone and it's still not there.....

Yes, I came here to ask the same question. I reckon as you say its a server issue or some other bug that will resolve itself with patience (it'll probably be back later, or tomorrow (famous last words)).

Have you noticed if you search for weather it just gives web results now?

Associate
Well at the risk of jinxing myself (and I really thought I had this morning - see O2 thread!) the phone has behaved much better of late and I actually consider it a good phone at the moment after months of little bugs.

Moral of the story with Google devices seems to be to wait a few months or even up to a year before they are properly stable; and yes I know some are going to reply and say they had zero problems from day one - well bully for you!

Mind I don't know what goes on with typing on ocuk on Chrome on this phone. It behaves very oddly at times (missing strokes and tapping on autocorrect suggestions not doing anything randomly). It only seems to be this forum, mind.

Associate
Completely forgot to upload this. Here's my review of the Pixel 2XL:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f87BoVPGZSxlFKFcqgDb640E5fITkSOC

I wrote this in October (and updated a little today), so a couple of things may be out of date, but the general consensus should still stand.

Good review. I agree with most of your points. Especially on the slow charging when cold. That is one infuriating bug that normally rears its head when you're in a hurry and forgot to charge the night before.

The December update does seem to have improved the reloading app issue for me.

Soldato
Good review. I agree with most of your points. Especially on the slow charging when cold. That is one infuriating bug that normally rears its head when you're in a hurry and forgot to charge the night before.

The December update does seem to have improved the reloading app issue for me.

Cheers - I tried to be as objective as possible

Truth be told, I loved the device overall, but the niggles got to me quite a bit, and Google refused to sort it out after a few replacements, and so EE let me reset my contract. I was tempted by the Pixel 3 XL, but the gesture system is ABYSMAL. Every time I tried to swipe up on the home launcher, it would only open multi tasking.

In the end, I got an iPhone XS, and even though I don't have it yet, I already miss Android.

I just wanted a Pixel 2 XL with more RAM and a better display, but nothing could offer that. There had to be a compromise somewhere, where as the iPhone offered the least compromises of all.

Associate
Cheers - I tried to be as objective as possible

Truth be told, I loved the device overall, but the niggles got to me quite a bit, and Google refused to sort it out after a few replacements, and so EE let me reset my contract. I was tempted by the Pixel 3 XL, but the gesture system is ABYSMAL. Every time I tried to swipe up on the home launcher, it would only open multi tasking.

In the end, I got an iPhone XS, and even though I don't have it yet, I already miss Android.

I just wanted a Pixel 2 XL with more RAM and a better display, but nothing could offer that. There had to be a compromise somewhere, where as the iPhone offered the least compromises of all.

I've come quite close myself to going for the iPhone, but concluded that I'm not really an iPhone person and although I could get the XR at work but I dont want to downgrade the camera so it would probably be the XS Max I would want, but that price is simply too hard to swallow, but I can totally see why you have done it.

I have no interest at this point in time to switch ecosystems either - I was using an iPad 10.5 but seem to be getting pulled back towards Win10; in fact I was very interested in a Slate or Pixelbook but they also, in true google fashion, seem to have many issues that are deal breakers. Such a shame that Google seem to be making it difficult for people to like their products at the moment.

Soldato
I've come quite close myself to going for the iPhone, but concluded that I'm not really an iPhone person and although I could get the XR at work but I dont want to downgrade the camera so it would probably be the XS Max I would want, but that price is simply too hard to swallow, but I can totally see why you have done it.

I have no interest at this point in time to switch ecosystems either - I was using an iPad 10.5 but seem to be getting pulled back towards Win10; in fact I was very interested in a Slate or Pixelbook but they also, in true google fashion, seem to have many issues that are deal breakers. Such a shame that Google seem to be making it difficult for people to like their products at the moment.

The only reason I got the iPhone is because it was £37 a month with 80GB of data. I was paying £50 for the 2 XL with 25GB!

Back
Top Bottom