Just bought a Lenovo WMR headset in the Black Friday sales

Soldato
OP
What about the hololens driver?
I reinstalled the driver, tried different versions, on one of the 3 pcs I tested I did a fresh windows instalation.

What happens when you plug it in? Literally nothing. Do you hear the connection noise? Any lights/power LEDs? Is anything being displayed?

First thing I'd check would be connecting it to a USB wall adaptor incase your PC/USB port isn't delivering enough power.

I'll collect mine this weekend so can hopefully offer a couple of suggestions to help! Assuming mine actually works :eek:

To be fair reading your reply it sounds like you know what you're doing so it probably is faulty unfortunately.

Soldato
What happens when you plug it in? Literally nothing. Do you hear the connection noise? Any lights/power LEDs? Is anything being displayed?

First thing I'd check would be connecting it to a USB wall adaptor incase your PC/USB port isn't delivering enough power.

I'll collect mine this weekend so can hopefully offer a couple of suggestions to help! Assuming mine actually works :eek:

To be fair reading your reply it sounds like you know what you're doing so it probably is faulty unfortunately.

no lights, but it recognises and launchs the mixed reality portal and then it asks to check the display cable (it doesn't work in all USB3 ports)
Yeah, I have a powered usb 3.0 hub, tried that, also got an active display port to hdmi, even tho my gpu has a working hdmi port.
Usually I know what I am doing :p but even the most experienced people can sometimes miss something basic :D

Soldato
no lights, but it recognises and launchs the mixed reality portal and then it asks to check the display cable (it doesn't work in all USB3 ports)
Yeah, I have a powered usb 3.0 hub, tried that, also got an active display port to hdmi, even tho my gpu has a working hdmi port.
Usually I know what I am doing :p but even the most experienced people can sometimes miss something basic :D

Does the mixed reality show up in device manager in “monitors”? I assume you have the latest windows update.

Soldato
OP
@Drangueos Picked up the headset today. The setup went pretty smoothly so I'm thinking that you may have a faulty unit unfortunately.

The only real gotcha was that after installing SteamVR (which is prompted me to do after connecting the headset) I also had to manually search for and install "Windows Mixed Reality for Steam" before the headset was detected with any of the Steam games I tried to use it with.

First impressions and pretty good. The resolution is decent and tracking from the headset based cameras is also working great. Overall I wouldn't say it was any better or worse than the other headsets (PSVR,Vive, Oculus Rift/Go) I've tried really. They're all pretty similar.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone wants more information. I'll try a few more games tonight.

Soldato
@Drangueos Picked up the headset today. The setup went pretty smoothly so I'm thinking that you may have a faulty unit unfortunately.

The only real gotcha was that after installing SteamVR (which is prompted me to do after connecting the headset) I also had to manually search for and install "Windows Mixed Reality for Steam" before the headset was detected with any of the Steam games I tried to use it with.

First impressions and pretty good. The resolution is decent and tracking from the headset based cameras is also working great. Overall I wouldn't say it was any better or worse than the other headsets (PSVR,Vive, Oculus Rift/Go) I've tried really. They're all pretty similar.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone wants more information. I'll try a few more games tonight.

yeah, I think it is faulty, waiting for them to book a collection to get a replacement.
Cheers

Associate

I also got stuck on the 'check your display cable' msg for a while. My card has 2 hdmi sockets and my monitor was on one. When I plugged the headset into the other it wouldn't work. I now have my monitor connected with a dvi -> hdmi cable and the headset will work in either of the hdmi sockets.

I would like to get it working with the monitor back in one of the hdmi sockets as well but I haven't had time to investigate it yet and see if it is possible.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately it looks like my Geforce 980 isn't supported for motion reprojection. I need to try playing around with supersampling. So far when I've increased things like that it's caused the frame rate to take a dive resulting in choppy performance. I'll play around with the settings.

Associate
I managed to get hold of one at a decent price, brand new, got 20 mins use out of it now it's also doing the check your display cable message. I've tested the HDMI port and it's fine with my monitor (which is usually on DVI). ImI on latest windows 10 (1809). The device shows up in device manager under mixed reality headsets and another USB device as Hololens device but nothing under monitors. Seems a common issue, perhaps not the most reliable product ever made. Very frustrating as was looking forward to getting some use whilst I'm off work.

Trying to find a return section on the Lenovo website is proving tricky, has anyone got a link? I didn't actually buy it from Lenovo so may try the third party supplier.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone have any tips on how to get WMR steam games working smoothly. I've tried a few titles but many seem to have performance issues or control mapping problems? My friend doesn't have these issues on his Vive with a lesser spec so I'm guessing it's a WMR problem?

Is there something I'm missing as one had to refund a couple of titles which looked like they should work without issue?

I know my GPU (Geforce 980) is getting on a bit but I didn't expect to encounter so many problems. Guess I've maybe been spoiled by the ease of PSVR and expected the windows experience to be as straightforward!

Soldato
yeah, I think it is faulty, waiting for them to book a collection to get a replacement.
Cheers

Finally after more than 3 weeks I got the replacement...
plugged in and it worked straight away... so yeah, the first one was faulty.
What a nightmare was to get it replaced, so many phone calls and emails

Associate
Finally after more than 3 weeks I got the replacement...
plugged in and it worked straight away... so yeah, the first one was faulty.
What a nightmare was to get it replaced, so many phone calls and emails
Lenovo have been pestering me to complete a survey, might be worthwhile giving them some clear feedback on your experience.

Back
Top Bottom