**** The Official Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
Had the 146 update drop this morning and appears to have solved all previous issues I had with the phone. Happy days!

Soldato
Yeah, I got it too and updates seem to corrupt my Work profile. Keeps telling me the password is wrong, when clearly it isn't. Try and remove it and it tells me it can't as some apps need it telling me I would need to factory reset. It pee'd me off to the point I was thinking I would switch phones, but I don't know what I did and a different 'Remove Profile' appear and that one worked. Added back in and all is good.

Caporegime
I carried this phone for 1 day in myinside jacket pocket and the screen got 5 scratches, 1 pretty deep. Unbelievable of the ten plus phones I've owned over the years, this one is made of marshmallow. Slightly gutted but own fault. Gorilla class? I should stop carrying loose diamonds in my pockets.

Turns out they come with a pre-fitted plastic film screen protector so likelyhood is that its just that thats wrecked, phew :p

is there a p20 pro thread ?

Associate
So Saturday night I started to notice a green tinge emminating from the right hand side of the screen and a bit on the left top upper.

I hope it's not going to get worse, even as I'm typing this with the blue and grey colours I can notice the green coming through!

I know some earlier in this thread returned three phones until they got on that was perfect
. .But mines developed the green tinge quite recently after getting the phone on launch day.

Anyone else found this too, I'm guessing the phone is around 3 weeks old with that amount of usuage.

Soldato
So Saturday night I started to notice a green tinge emminating from the right hand side of the screen and a bit on the left top upper.

I hope it's not going to get worse, even as I'm typing this with the blue and grey colours I can notice the green coming through!

I know some earlier in this thread returned three phones until they got on that was perfect
. .But mines developed the green tinge quite recently after getting the phone on launch day.

Anyone else found this too, I'm guessing the phone is around 3 weeks old with that amount of usuage.

Yeah that was me. Massive thread on xda with many people affected by the same issue.

Soldato
Getting the green tinge myself now I can only see it in apps but when I'm on my home screen with a black background on there is no green tinge
Get it sent back for a new handset mate - I got lucky with my display. Honestly with a decent screen and the newest update this phone is phenomenally good but it does take a bit of tweaking in the settings first!

Associate
I've have both the Mate 20 Pro and Pixel 3XL and I'm deciding what one I should keep, overall the Mate 20 Pro is the better device due to the comfort in hand due to being slimmer, battery life etc. I've had a PIxel 2XL and 1 so I'm pretty much sold on the Google benefits.

I really like this phone with Action Launcher, I've been swapping between the phones every couple of days. The pixel Xl hardware is unremarkable but as always it's the software that raises it up.

The final hurdle for me on whether to keep the Mate 20 pro is the camera, it can take some remarkable shots, other times they are average at best and the colours appear all washed out. This is especially true of faces on my two young children.

I've been taking side by side pictures with the Pixel XL3 and it amazes me how the colour in the Pixel is more accurate where as the Mate 20 Pro is either over saturated or very pale (human skin), AI is off so I'm not sure if there is anything I change. Colour is set to normal.

The other thing is how fast the pixel can focus, I can point and click where as on the Mate 20 Pro I sometimes have the hold the phone still for a few seconds for it to sharpen the image, generally it's poor if there is movement. The Pixel has fantastic motion tracking.

Detail wise the Mate 20 pro can produce some amazing pictures, anyone else seen the above and if so any tips on how I can improve? I'm guessing they can fix in software. Nightmode is also very good, sometimes the PIxel is better , other times it's the Mate 20 Pro. The wide and Zoom on the Mate 20 Pro is amazing.

As this is the primary way of capturing pictures of my kids day to day I want to make sure I can capture them well hence the interest in the camera.

Associate
So, I've kept hold of both the Mate 20 Pro and Pixel 3XL and have been testing while I've been out in Silicon Valley with work for the week.

The Mate 20 pro battery is amazing along with the fast charge and I've really noticed the difference, I've also learnt by default that the Mate 20 pro screen is set to a warm look which makes the screen look worse. I changed this to a more neutral tone and changed the colours to vibrant.

I'm now really happy with the screen, get a slight green glow on the edges at certain angles when the phone is tilted, I think this is down to the curve. I haven't seen anything like people have shown on the internet.

For me the only reason to use the Pixel 3XL is the camera, I've been doing more testing with the Mate 20 Pro vs the Pixel 3 and they are really close. The Macro and 5X Zoom on the Mate 20 Pro are great.

For me, the Pixel strength is in the selfies and portrait modes, it's hard to get the same quality with the Mate 20 Pro. The pictures have an airbrushed look to them and also makes the subjects look pale. For day to day snaps I believe the Mate 20 Pro take the better picture but sometimes you need to put a little bit more in an persevere with the phone, I've been doing a lot of side by side comparisons and the Mate 20 comes out with slightly more detail.

I also prefer the night mode on the Mate 20 Pro , the Pixel looks almost artificial in comparison when it comes to the lighting and shadows and I have seen a lot of noise in certain pictures.

Update wise, it remains to be seen how good Huawei will be, no way they will be as good Google but I'm hoping with Android 9 and the separation of core google apps from the OS makes this better.

There are also a number of strengths like screen recording which is cool, I'm using action launcher over the top so for me I'm not experiencing any of the challenges with the default skin. Only issue is sometimes you can't quickly switch between apps in the task launcher without bringing the app into focus i.e. if it's off to the left on the task switcher you have to bring it to the centre before you can select.

Overall I'm becoming happier with the Mate 20 pro everyday and seeing less reason to use the Pixel 3, I will carry on with both for now and see how it pans out.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, I've kept hold of both the Mate 20 Pro and Pixel 3XL and have been testing while I've been out in Silicon Valley with work for the week.

The Mate 20 pro battery is amazing along with the fast charge and I've really noticed the difference, I've also learnt by default that the Mate 20 pro screen is set to a warm look which makes the screen look worse. I changed this to a more neutral tone and changed the colours to vibrant.

I'm now really happy with the screen, get a slight green glow on the edges at certain angles when the phone is tilted, I think this is down to the curve. I haven't seen anything like people have shown on the internet.

For me the only reason to use the Pixel 3XL is the camera, I've been doing more testing with the Mate 20 Pro vs the Pixel 3 and they are really close. The Macro and 5X Zoom on the Mate 20 Pro are great.

For me, the Pixel strength is in the selfies and portrait modes, it's hard to get the same quality with the Mate 20 Pro. The pictures have an airbrushed look to them and also makes the subjects look pale. For day to day snaps I believe the Mate 20 Pro take the better picture but sometimes you need to put a little bit more in an persevere with the phone, I've been doing a lot of side by side comparisons and the Mate 20 comes out with slightly more detail.

I also prefer the night mode on the Mate 20 Pro , the Pixel looks almost artificial in comparison when it comes to the lighting and shadows and I have seen a lot of noise in certain pictures.

Update wise, it remains to be seen how good Huawei will be, no way they will be as good Google but I'm hoping with Android 9 and the separation of core google apps from the OS makes this better.

There are also a number of strengths like screen recording which is cool, I'm using action launcher over the top so for me I'm not experiencing any of the challenges with the default skin. Only issue is sometimes you can't quickly switch between apps in the task launcher without bringing the app into focus i.e. if it's off to the left on the task switcher you have to bring it to the centre before you can select.

Overall I'm becoming happier with the Mate 20 pro everyday and seeing less reason to use the Pixel 3, I will carry on with both for now and see how it pans out.

Do gestures work with action launcher?

Associate
Do gestures work with action launcher?

Hi,

I just turned gestures on as I haven't been using them, it appears to launch with the Action launcher on the test I carried out.

I've also configured additional gestures in Action launcher, for example to open the torch I swipe up with two fingers, to quickly launch the camera I double tab the screen. There is a huge amount of customisation in there.

Back
Top Bottom