Drowning, save me

Soldato
The glass tubing is mayhems and the fittings are ekwb. Though that shouldn't matter, they are perfectly compatible with each other. My issue is actually physically getting in a length of tube between point A and point B when glass has no flex to bend it in if that makes sense?

Actually it makes a huge difference. On my last build I had to switch because even though they were meant to be the exact same OD and ID, there was absolutely no way they could fit.

I’m not saying it’s the case with yours, but plenty on here will confirm the same.

Soldato
Actually it makes a huge difference. On my last build I had to switch because even though they were meant to be the exact same OD and ID, there was absolutely no way they could fit.

I’m not saying it’s the case with yours, but plenty on here will confirm the same.
100%. Best advice I can give when planning a build is match tubing and fittings from same manufacturer. Though the glass not flexing is also a big problem. When I used acrylic, at least it has a little give so you're not afraid of shattering it.

Soldato
100%. Best advice I can give when planning a build is match tubing and fittings from same manufacturer. Though the glass not flexing is also a big problem. When I used acrylic, at least it has a little give so you're not afraid of shattering it.

Quite, it’s not so bad with flexy and fittings, but I tried everything I could and it simply would not go over the barb. Switched to the same brand fitting and the fit was perfect. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be with mis-matched fittings and glass for a first time build.

OP what exactly do you mean when you say they are 100% compatible?

Associate
OP
Quite, it’s not so bad with flexy and fittings, but I tried everything I could and it simply would not go over the barb. Switched to the same brand fitting and the fit was perfect. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be with mis-matched fittings and glass for a first time build.

I guess I don't know for definite that they are without switching it on and seeing how they perform together over time. Although I'm sure Ive seen someone else use the same fittings and same glass tubes with no issues. Also, I'm no longer having difficulty getting the glass into the fitting (and it seems to have a nice tight snug fit) just the problem I mention last that is causing me issues. I haven't attempted to continue with the build this week as ive been busy with work and I'm ordering a Dremel to try and salvage some of the broken bits of glass as I can't cut off small peices with the 'scratch and snap' method. I will be having another attempt over the weekend :).

Soldato
Jesus why did you choose glass? There are some awesome plastic tubing materials out there that you could easily pass as glass. Fair play to you for persevering though, keep up the good work :)

Associate
OP
Jesus why did you choose glass? There are some awesome plastic tubing materials out there that you could easily pass as glass. Fair play to you for persevering though, keep up the good work :)

Because I'm a complete idiot, I regret it but you live and you learn I guess :o. Thanks for the support man :).

Ive got all but 1 of the bends done. It's not perfect, I don't have huge amounts of confidence with it being leak free as some fittings were hard to get in and I'm not totally sure if they are completely in. There's also a couple of runs that aren't as perfectly square as I'd like them to be but glass is so punishing, just 1 or 2mm out can give you a really hard time.

Anyways here's how it's looking so far:

6eLKGwK.jpg

The only run that remains is the GPU > CPU and I have no idea how to do it. The ports are slightly off center with each other, too much to simply go straight at it with a 90 bend and not enough for 45 or 90 degree adapters to help. From what I can see I have 2 options, give glass bending a shot or go on a bit of a journey and do a little bit of a loop with 3x 90 bends. Unless anyone has another solution?

Here's a close up of the ports square on:

vsqFQTm.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Not worked with glass before either. But seeing as it bends through 90 degrees seemingly ok then i think you could just put a slight S bend into the straight run out of the cpu block to bring it inline with the gpu one then a direct 90 down.

Associate
OP
Not worked with glass before either. But seeing as it bends through 90 degrees seemingly ok then i think you could just put a slight S bend into the straight run out of the cpu block to bring it inline with the gpu one then a direct 90 down.

The 90 degree bends you see was how they came when I bought them. I have just tried heating a bit of glass tube up using my stove which I don't think is hot enough as I had it going for like 10mins and the glass still felt solid (although I've seen a YT vid of a guy using his stove which worked but his must be more powerful). I will probably need to but a Bunsen burner or something similar.

Soldato
That's pre-bought 90 degree I'm guessing;) S-bend would be hard enough in PETG, forget glass.

Couple of things to consider,

1. The CPU block can be mounted 180 degrees, inlet stays nearest the centre.

2. You can use the other port on the GPU, either will work.

Does turning, using different ports, line up the CPU inlet with either of the GPU ports?

Last edited:
Soldato
A single bend would do it but I don't like the idea of glass bending, looks difficult. I'd suggest a 90° fitting on the graphics card and another on the CPU block, with a 90° tube between them. One fitting will pivot to send the glass tube along the back of the graphics card perpendicular to it, then rotate the tube to point into the other 90 on the block.

Associate
OP
Well I figured out why I was having a hard time getting the glass tubes in the fittings - the mayhem's glass tubing is up to 1.5mm out in diameter, that means I was attempting to get up to a 13.5mm tube in a 12mm fitting - what a joke, no wonder I was breaking off so many ends trying to force it in. Surely this is poor quality control? I realise it's glass and it won't be perfectly 12mm but upwards of 1.5mm? Seems ridiculous imo and I'll never buy glass tubing from mayhem's again. Anyways...

That's pre-bought 90 degree I'm guessing;) S-bend would be hard enough in PETG, forget glass.

Couple of things to consider,

1. The CPU block can be mounted 180 degrees, inlet stays nearest the centre.

2. You can use the other port on the GPU, either will work.

Does turning, using different ports, line up the CPU inlet with either of the GPU ports?

Yes pre bought 90's :). OMG spinning the CPU block would have worked perfectly I think, I figured I've gone too far to redo runs etc tho, wish I had thought of it before - this will be a last resort.

A single bend would do it but I don't like the idea of glass bending, looks difficult. I'd suggest a 90° fitting on the graphics card and another on the CPU block, with a 90° tube between them. One fitting will pivot to send the glass tube along the back of the graphics card perpendicular to it, then rotate the tube to point into the other 90 on the block.

Yeh that would have worked but i didn't want it like that purely for aesthetic reasons, thanks for suggestion tho and yeh I think it's looking good too :p.

It looks lovely man, keep persevering!

Thankyou! :D.

You can try using 2 rotary 45's (in like an s-shape) in the gpu block to try line up the ports.

Looks great btw.

Thanks, I tried exactly that but it puts them out of line by about 6 or 7 mm in the opposite direction.

I ended up giving glass bending a shot. It's far from perfect and thanks to a 1.5mm GPU sag, the tube isn't fully bottomed out in the fitting so I'm not completely confident it will remain leak free. I may give it another go asai have 1x glass tube left over. I will be filling the loop tomorrow morning for a 24hr leak test :D wish me luck. Here's some pictures pre-leak disaster:

A5ju0PZ.jpg

lNMZKYl.jpg

hXe5cID.jpg

JmwxPer.jpg

Soldato
The build really is looking excellent, it's very much in line with my own build tastes, love it.

Well I figured out why I was having a hard time getting the glass tubes in the fittings - the mayhem's glass tubing is up to 1.5mm out in diameter, that means I was attempting to get up to a 13.5mm tube in a 12mm fitting - what a joke, no wonder I was breaking off so many ends trying to force it in. Surely this is poor quality control? I realise it's glass and it won't be perfectly 12mm but upwards of 1.5mm? Seems ridiculous imo and I'll never buy glass tubing from mayhem's again. Anyways...

Hmm... How odd? Wish someone had suggested it... *cough*

Are the fittings and tubing from the same manufacturer?

Missed if you said the glass a fittings are from the main manufacturer?

The glass tubing is mayhems and the fittings are ekwb. Though that shouldn't matter, they are perfectly compatible with each other. My issue is actually physically getting in a length of tube between point A and point B when glass has no flex to bend it in if that makes sense?

Just joshing you mate, delighted you're well on your way now :D

Soldato
Can’t you move the piping (gpu-cpu) over one slot so it’s more lined up and change the bottom of the gpu configure?

Lovely build dude! ;)

What 90 degree fittings are those, and was a heat gun enough for the glass bending?

Associate
OP
Looking good! I hope it all stays leak free and gz on sticking with it, it is definitely worth it for looks alone.

Thankyou :)

The loop has been running for over 24hrs non stop with no leaks!! :D, im just running the blitz kit part 2 through it but im unsure its actually doing anything. The instructions say it will foam up initially but mine didnt foam at all? I guess it cant hurt it so ill leave it in for close to 24hrs then do 3x 1hr flushes as per the instructions. The next hurdle is the first boot up and testing temps etc which is the 1 im really dreading because if something is wrong or i need to redo my paste i will cry at the thought of taking it all apart. fingers crossed everything is ok. I will post some completed pics if all goes well monday night.

The build really is looking excellent, it's very much in line with my own build tastes, love it.

Hmm... How odd? Wish someone had suggested it... *cough*

Thanks! :). I mean, mayhems dont do fittings so i did email asking if the fittings i used were acceptable and they said 'yes any 12mm hard tube fitting will work' or something along those lines. I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find any fitting that allowed for upto a 1.5mm variation in diameter?

Can’t you move the piping (gpu-cpu) over one slot so it’s more lined up and change the bottom of the gpu configure?

Lovely build dude! ;)

What 90 degree fittings are those, and was a heat gun enough for the glass bending?

Thankyou :).
Changing the gpu>cpu runs around wouldnt make a difference, both holes are roughly equally out of line with each other in opposite directions. I think the only way i could get them to line up is if i spin the cpu block upside down like someone suggested but that means redo'ing a few bends and im happy enough with how it is now to not go through with that.
All the fittings, including the 90's, are EKWB 12mm nickel HDC fittings. No i used a handheld gas torch (think they are like £30 ish from bnq or somewhere similar and a bottle of gas for £10-15 - not sure as i just borrowed one), i doubt a heat gun is sufficient to get the glass to a high enough temp but i dont know for sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom