Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
Was in London for a couple of days the other week and got some great beans from Algerian Coffee Stores on Old Compton St in Soho - Formula Rossa. Great bean for espresso, not too dark and oily but nice and strong.

Also got some Monmouth Espresso as well, really nice too, but a bit mellower. Would happily buy both again. Although the ACS was a lot cheaper (£4.90 for 250g vs £6.50).

Man of Honour
Forgot about this...
The worldwide coffee share is happening again!

https://thirdwavewichteln.com/

I've had some great stuff from this over the last couple of years. Sent off some good stuff too. Well worth doing just to see what you get in the end. This is what I got last year.

DtBWed_W0AEUa01.jpg

Soldato
can it be clocked - how many miles do you get from one set of (titanium?) burrs ?

Got a naked portafilter, pulled a shot, came out perfect except at one point there was some minor spraying...but 99% of it came out like those photos/video.
If youCarlsberg did videos ?, can't find my post with a messy naked shot a while back.

Caporegime
@jpaul I've no idea about clocking it, I would imagine it's not a hard thing to do. I'm also expecting the clock to overflow back to 0 when I hit 10k. Gonna need another 3.5 years to get there though :p The burrs are holding up fine at the moment, I expect I'll be fine for another few years.

Man of Honour
Got my Wichteln recipients details. Got to send coffee to Malaysia.

Not set anything there before. Now going through the list of things I can't send... Quite extensive.

Caporegime
Thinking about buying this (DeLonghi Magnifica abeam to cup) or would I be better with a gagia classic and grinder? I like the bean to cup aspect and seems a good price. Open to suggestions and Wouldn’t want to spending more than £250.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-M...1634&creative=19450&linkCode=ur2&tag=utf81-21
That's a great budget been to cup, but has been lower than that. Was £210 in Black Friday sales so you may want to see if it comes down again for Boxing Day sales.

I have one and love it though. Easier than a separate grinder and so convenient for a quick brew if you're in a rush to get to work.

Soldato
Thinking about buying this (DeLonghi Magnifica abeam to cup) or would I be better with a gagia classic and grinder? I like the bean to cup aspect and seems a good price. Open to suggestions and Wouldn’t want to spending more than £250.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-M...1634&creative=19450&linkCode=ur2&tag=utf81-21

I’ve got one of these too. And a grinder/chemex/aero press/clever dripper. I’ve not used the grinder since buying it. The brews it makes are not quite as good as the grinder/other combos but they are good enough when using average quality beans.

If you want to experience the flavour nuances of a single estate then grinder and other brew kit is better; don’t get me wrong you still get some of the flavours but the other kit let’s you extract more. If you want a consistently good cup of coffee with no faff, the delonghi is great. I’ve not regretted buying it at all.

Man of Honour
Not yet, ordering some later on along with the filter blend.

Not had a bad Christmassy blend from Hasbean in however long I've been ordering them *over a decade iirc* I do regularly prefer the espresso blend for filter and vice versa... but I'm odd.

Caporegime
Gave the bottomless portafilter one more try and it sprays in all directions. To find out I wrapped a white towel round the machine after I pressed ON and peaked in. The towel is like some modern art now. Not sure what I am doing wrong because the coffee comes out just like all those photos I've seen.

Soldato
non-sequiter - 99% of it came out like those photos/video, but it's spraying everywhere ? ... I need to try again too, with some cheap coffee

... they should have some coffee sales after xmas, so I'm not buying more than necessary

Caporegime
non-sequiter - 99% of it came out like those photos/video, but it's spraying everywhere ? ... I need to try again too, with some cheap coffee

... they should have some coffee sales after xmas, so I'm not buying more than necessary

I mean it pours with the crema like the photos i've seen, the spray is very microscopic but it's there.

You should try it, wrap a white towel around it and do a pour and tell me whether your white towel has any marks.

Back
Top Bottom