• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
The pop-up I used to get at every boot from AMD external events that tells me my hardware has changed and needs rebooting (it hasn't) seems to have disappeared. I just get an alerts that my PCI bus has changed and needs rebooting every time I boot (it hasn't). Why are the AMD PCI drivers trying to install on a Intel system?

Both of these things are a long term problem that's been reported all over for a couple of years now, and AMD can't seem to fix it unless you go back to much older drivers or kill off the AMD external events utility (so no hotkeys).

Associate
I agree the featureset is really really good, and overall the driver package and presentation is top notch. However advertising features and being either deliberately misleading or just not being upfront and clear has p***ed me off, saying you can Auto OC, Auto Clock Mem and Auto UC on the driver notes made me thing "wow i can let the software setup my card" when in reality they should have had a disclaimer saying that only one of the features works at a time and infact they are all broken currently.

Auto OC only affects the Core, ok fine, theres a disclaimer it crashes your GPU, cool, but does it remember the last setting it crashed on? how many times do you need to run it etc? its very unclear, and on initial user appears to not actually do sod all.

Mem OC - 3 State, Auto, Level1 and Level2, none of them actually seem to do much, and do not offer any actual gains in gaming, are these designed for something else?

Auto Undervolt - Ok it does this, but at the same time clocks everything lower, GPU and HBM, so yeah your lowering your power but your also massively handicapping your GPU and its overall performance...

There is no reason as it stands right now to use any of the 3 above features, now if AMD could merge them into one thing that does "GPU Tune" which basically Overclocks your Core and HBM and then fines a stable Voltage for it all, then id be impressed. Pretty sure its possible for them to do this, quite why they didnt make it clear on the above 3 things that this is what they dont do, is unclear to me.

I think most people just assumed you'd be able to use GPU/Mem overclocking and Undervolting at the same time, and rightly so IMO.
As it stands right now, manually overclocking and undervolting is far superior, shame really as I was looking forward to seeing what the software would set the clocks and voltage to.

I got stuck in a part of doom that I can't seem to work out how to get past it, so I've stopped playing it :/

Did you get stuck on the bit where you walk through another corridor or the bit where you kill loads of enemies in another room? That's basically all that happens in the campaign :D
I played it through when I got the game and have been playing multiplayer since.

Associate
Oh forgot to add now everytime i start up WIndows i get the AMD driver installer pop up trying to install newer drivers lol.... what an utter mess this is right now. Hopefully i can get some decent Division 2 Alpha testing in tonight, im not even going to try those newer drivers with it, 10.12.1.1 or whatever they are seem stable enough for me right now.

Associate
Oh forgot to add now everytime i start up WIndows i get the AMD driver installer pop up trying to install newer drivers lol.... what an utter mess this is right now. Hopefully i can get some decent Division 2 Alpha testing in tonight, im not even going to try those newer drivers with it, 10.12.1.1 or whatever they are seem stable enough for me right now.
Because you tried to uninstall the new drivers with DDU didn't you? DDU does not work with new drivers.

Soldato
I think most people just assumed you'd be able to use GPU/Mem overclocking and Undervolting at the same time, and rightly so IMO.
As it stands right now, manually overclocking and undervolting is far superior, shame really as I was looking forward to seeing what the software would set the clocks and voltage to.

Did you get stuck on the bit where you walk through another corridor or the bit where you kill loads of enemies in another room? That's basically all that happens in the campaign :D
I played it through when I got the game and have been playing multiplayer since.

I'll call on your assistance when I reinstall it and get to the same point :p

Soldato
The pop-up I used to get at every boot from AMD external events that tells me my hardware has changed and needs rebooting (it hasn't) seems to have disappeared. I just get an alerts that my PCI bus has changed and needs rebooting every time I boot (it hasn't). Why are the AMD PCI drivers trying to install on a Intel system?

Both of these things are a long term problem that's been reported all over for a couple of years now, and AMD can't seem to fix it unless you go back to much older drivers or kill off the AMD external events utility (so no hotkeys).

Never seen this on my Intel systems over the years. Anything in event viewer seem odd? Or device manager

Soldato
the new driver - wattman only lets you go as low as 10% fan? no fan stop setting below a certain temp? or am I blind?
There is a "Zero RPM" toggle beneath the fan curve but it's currently broken. The minimum speed available to you will depend on your card; mine is 29%. If you want 0% fan at idle you'll need to revert for now. :(

Soldato
I had an error on trying to update/install of 18.12.2, it then prompted me to reboot
So I ran the installer again after reboot, rebooted again as prompted :D

Went into wattman to check the fan curve & if I even touch the fan curve it ignores the Zero RPM option :confused: (even on auto)
Fan curve also doesn't go below 35% (whatever RPM that is)

On 18.12.1.1 I had the fan set to min/max RPM which seemed to work ok.
Fanspeed is the only thing I've changed in wattman so bit annoying they seem to have downgraded it & also broke Zero RPM

Might just rollback the drivers :(

Only just got a new AMD GPU, was hoping for better

Soldato
Might just rollback the drivers :(

Only just got a new AMD GPU, was hoping for better

The latest ones are end of year drivers with a load of new features that need shaking down. Just using them as you would the slightly older drivers from couple of weeks ago they seem to be fine, it's only the new auto-tune features that seem to need more work.

Otherwise use the ones from a couple of weeks back, they should be fine as they don't have the newer functionality.

Soldato
Two days with the driver thoughts

a) VERY VERY stable driver on extreme undervolting. It would crash the application not the system now
b) Games look sharp, as it was with up to 18.11 drivers. 18.12 were bit fuzzy.
c) World of Tanks (which is the game I play most) performance went from mid 110s to mid 130s. Even saw maps now hitting the 144fps cap. (same settings, clocks etc).
d) Still getting used with the extra time it takes to alt+tab. :/

Soldato
from 18.11.1 to 18.12.2
1. Tried auto undervolt, it dropped from default 1.20v to 1.187v, wow (sarcasm).
2. Auto over clock, system froze, and was stuck in Windows boot loop, had to go into safe mode deinstall amd drivers, restart pc and reinstall drivers.
3. Auto over clock memory system froze.
No boot loop.

So these 3 main features are in my opinion useless, i guess I am too technically skilled to think that Amd could develop an app which scales the avfs registers over the dpm states to fine tune a sensible voltage curve. I will test the driver to see if there is any noticeable gains elsewhere, but I doubt it.

Edit, I gave up and went back to 18.11.1 reasons being On the lc64 the fan settings wouldn't work adaptively, despite setting them up in wattman.
I experienced a lot of crashing when using my manual undervolt settings.

Last edited:
Associate
c) World of Tanks (which is the game I play most) performance went from mid 110s to mid 130s. Even saw maps now hitting the 144fps cap. (same settings, clocks etc).
d) Still getting used with the extra time it takes to alt+tab. :/

Are you using Windows 10?

Fast alt-tab for me is usually a sign if the game is running in borderlesss window mode or Windows has activated the full-screen optimisations "feature" (which allows for faster alt-tabbing even when running the game in exclusive fullscreen mode) but for me in some games I get worse performance or stuttering when it's activated and usually just "disable full-screen optimisations" in the compatibility tab of the game executable if I notice performance issues/stuttering to make sure it runs in "true" exclusive full-screen mode. It might also explain the performance improvement if the game is now running in "true" exclusive full-screen mode instead of using the windows feature.

Back
Top Bottom