Associate
So recently i had to RMA my GTX 1080 FTW as it was acting up, received the RMA card and it sorted all the issues out for about a week and then as the title suggests... in game i got black screens and the fans ramped up to full speed. I could hear my friend speaking through discord but he couldn't hear me any more. This has happened almost everytime i sit down to play something. I'm assuming this is a gpu issue? I have contacted EVGA and they're asked me to test it in another system, so i've swapped with my friend for the time being and i have his EVGA 1070 SC.

Since using his 1070 in my system gameplay seems a lot smoother and less stutters, and so far no more black screening. He's been using my 1080 perfectly fine also though... so i'm a little stumped. I find it strange that the 1070 is smoother at the same max settings than the 1080? Unless my system isn't sufficient.

System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9ghz
RAM: Corsair 2400Mhz 2x8GB
Mobo: B350 PC Mate
PSU: CX550W
Monitor: 1920x1080 60Hz

Could it possibly be the PSU is insufficient for a cpu overclock and the 1080 FTW ? Or maybe the 1080 is bound by the CPU with my low tier monitor! I am planning on upgrading soon, it's all a work in progress.

Any help would be appreciate, thanks!

Associate
OP
His Spec is:
CPU: i5-4690
Mobo: MSI H97M-E35
RAM: Corsair Veng DDR3 1866Mhz
PSU: i believe its a 1000W Cooler Master

He didn't notice much of a difference but thinks his CPU is holding it back

Thanks for the reply

Associate
OP
will ask him about that then see if i can, i did use the 1080 FTW before i had to RMA, that had a different issue where the screen wouldnt display on startup or it was highly zoomed in/only 1 screen worked etc, could that have also been a psu issue causing it not to run correctly do you think? thanks

Could be, if the card is dying it can do strange things but its usually reboots, 'driver stopped working' or corruption on screen. Are you running Win10? tried reinstalling? I know its all a pain in the backside to try all this but believe me i feel the pain, i just spent a week trying to work out random comp freezes and it turned out to be something i never could have imagined!

Permabanned
I have to say that I would immediately suspect the PSU. Although a 550W PSU should be OK it may be a bit borderline if the 1080 is overclocked ~ depending what you have in the way of the rest of the system. If there is anything slightly amiss with that PSU then perhaps it is causing problems. Or perhaps one of the power cables is damaged. I don't know but I would try swapping it for something else.

Associate
OP
I'll try a different PSU and see if it still persists, this 1070 seems perfectly fine. I wasn't overclocking the 1080 though. I had a 1060 before this and didnt plan on changing gpu, so i probably would have gotten a better one!

Back
Top Bottom