Hive, really??

Soldato
There's me wiring an S plan... And then the look of that makes me smile.

I'm sure you could technically connect that up to smart systems? Surely it's just a nest or hive per uf zone as those are just valves on top?

Have you asked a plumber? They might be able to recommend something for your situation...

Associate
Ok so I have hive trying to install. and I have gravity fed system.

Where the hive back plate has 6 terminals the old controller unit has 7 there is a bridge from HW on to 5 (the 7th terminal)

Do I just remove this bridge and set the hive reciever to gravity fed mode??

Thanks in advance for help been googling for hours and found nobody with such an old system on any guide or advice

Associate
any ideas guys? losing the will to live with this current setup, local tradesmen down here aren't really up to speed with hive etc.. so any advice would be appreciated :)
I'm pretty sure you should be able to do something Will.
Some observations I'd make are:
Under floor heating needs to be on for long periods to warm the floor up so I'm not sure how suitable it is for some of the "smart stuff" mine needs 2+ hours to warm up so I can't see how you can use the geo fencing stuff to be honest.
It might be easier trying to update your existing polypipe controller rather than looking at changing the whole control system.

What would you like the system to do that it currently can't?

This is my system for UFH and downstairs radiators:
eHIiGEE.jpg

Caporegime
Geez gotta say Hive are beyond useless. Last fri they were meant to come to install my hive system. Fri comes, I’m waiting and waiting. Around 5pm no one has turned up so I call them to find out that their system cancelled my appt. These things happen but what annoyed me was that no one informed me of this.
So anyhow re-arranged it for tues am, again no one turns up. So again another call and they said that no engineer was put on the job. I was gobsmacked when I was told this. So they have again arranged it for today afternoon.

Not going to hold my breath but if they don’t turn up then I’m just going to cancel and get someone else in to do it for me. Or maybe look into doing it myself although I’m not that confident when it comes to wiring things up. But no time like the present to learn I guess.

Don
I'm pretty sure you should be able to do something Will.
Some observations I'd make are:
Under floor heating needs to be on for long periods to warm the floor up so I'm not sure how suitable it is for some of the "smart stuff" mine needs 2+ hours to warm up so I can't see how you can use the geo fencing stuff to be honest.
It might be easier trying to update your existing polypipe controller rather than looking at changing the whole control system.

What would you like the system to do that it currently can't?

This is my system for UFH and downstairs radiators:
eHIiGEE.jpg

hi @novaenough

thanks for the reply I missed it, I understand the limitations RE slow warm up speeds etc.. This is for a second home so the ability to warm it up a few days before heading down to it would be amazing, would save leaving it on 24x7. That was kind of my thinking behind the smart approach :)

Soldato
I've seen less complicated data center comms rooms!

:D I guess it just comes down to knowing what you're looking at.

You could look at most things in a data center and have a good idea of what's going where, and what's used for what. A heating engineer probably does the same thing with the above pictures!

UTT

UTT

Associate
hi @novaenough

thanks for the reply I missed it, I understand the limitations RE slow warm up speeds etc.. This is for a second home so the ability to warm it up a few days before heading down to it would be amazing, would save leaving it on 24x7. That was kind of my thinking behind the smart approach :)

My advice would be contact polypipe and ask them for the contact number for their heating manager in Cornwall.

Get him to come out and quote you for their smart plus controls. With that you can download an app and control the ufch from a phone or iPad.

Associate
hi @novaenough

In that case I'd try UTT's suggestion and contact polypipe and see if they've got someone to help or recommend a local company who can.
I'd certainly try upgrading their controller versus ditching the whole system.

Associate
You need the Hive dual channel receiver (SLR2).

The backplate of the LP722 has the same layout as the Hive, but I don't think the backplate is compatible.

Remove the front of the LP722 and you'll see 6 terminals - L, N, 1, 2, 3, 4. You will certainly have wires in L, N, 3 and 4, and maybe in 1 as well.

Just transfer all the wires to the same ones on the Hive backplate & you're done - easy :)

Hi All

Just about to fit the Hive Heating and Hot water to replace my BG UP2 ( which I think is the same as an LP722 ).

I have no thermostat, everything is done by TRV's.

(a) Can i just swap the fronts over onto the original backplate ?

(b) What do I need to do in terms of any wiring/link any terminals across to tell the Hive that I have no room thermostat etc ?

Sorry, just a bit confused

Thanks in advance all

R

Mehul

Back
Top Bottom