*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I’ve also been pointed down the Ubiquiti route after asking about better routers and WiFi.
Think I have a bit of an idea on what to do, but a few questions.
ISP is Virgin fibre 200/20
Going through some of the posts here the basic USG seems to get some negative feedback.
There is also the USG Pro 4.
Whilst quite a bit more expensive, would this be the better option for long term? Would rather spend now than have to upgrade sooner.

I am also a bit unsure which access points to choose.
Initially probably only want one to cover upstairs and then add others later if needed.
How are the Nano ones for real life speed? Using 5Ghz and do quite a bit of general data transfer and some streaming.

Switch wise, I was just looking at the 8port 60w Poe one.

The one thing I am confused is the controller key.
Some of the hardware comes with 3 year cloud controller access. Does the key just replace this functionality at a local hardware level instead?

Soldato
I’ve also been pointed down the Ubiquiti route after asking about better routers and WiFi.
Think I have a bit of an idea on what to do, but a few questions.
ISP is Virgin fibre 200/20
Going through some of the posts here the basic USG seems to get some negative feedback.
There is also the USG Pro 4.
Whilst quite a bit more expensive, would this be the better option for long term? Would rather spend now than have to upgrade sooner.

I am also a bit unsure which access points to choose.
Initially probably only want one to cover upstairs and then add others later if needed.
How are the Nano ones for real life speed? Using 5Ghz and do quite a bit of general data transfer and some streaming.

Switch wise, I was just looking at the 8port 60w Poe one.

The one thing I am confused is the controller key.
Some of the hardware comes with 3 year cloud controller access. Does the key just replace this functionality at a local hardware level instead?
On your last question yes that is correct. I just use a Raspberry Pi 3.

Unless you have high end laptops with 3x3 WiFi or better you’d be better off saving money and getting either the Lite or LR.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Thanks.
The Lite seems to be a decent price too!
There is one laptop and then mobile devices so should suffice, but will check capability of laptop first as I use it to edit photos from a NAS so performance helps there.

Any thoughts on the USG vs USG Pro 4?

Soldato
Thanks.
The Lite seems to be a decent price too!
There is one laptop and then mobile devices so should suffice, but will check capability of laptop first as I use it to edit photos from a NAS so performance helps there.

I've been told on another forum that if you go USG you'll also need a switch whereas the edgerouter has one built in.

Soldato

Software wise they are essentially the same, the only difference is performance and cost, a USG is normally enough for most home installs, if your lucky to have a larger home internet pipe then the more powerful unit could be justified.

The USG has plenty performance without IPS enabled, depends if you really want IPS features, with it enabled I believe its still fast enough for most installs.

Soldato
That video is two and a half years old, the USG is quite different now.

I was actually just away to look at the date of it before I read your reply.
What else has been added?
To be fair, it's probably not far off what I would need too.
Edit: do you know if the demo of the GUI is based on the latest firmware?

Last edited:
Soldato
On your last question yes that is correct. I just use a Raspberry Pi 3.

Unless you have high end laptops with 3x3 WiFi or better you’d be better off saving money and getting either the Lite or LR.
If you turn off IPS and don’t use Smart Queues (QOS) then a 3p USG will handle your connection fine. IPS to me too me is not really worth paying an extra £100+ for.

Last edited:
Soldato
No one really needs IPS anyway - I ran it on for a month just to see what it was all about and it reported nothing so didn't see the point. QoS is also not needed in a home environment. Happy with my USG, it's much more stable than the Asus router it replaced and a million times better than my VM Superhub!

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Thanks for the comments.
I had ruled out an Edgerouter as they are not part of the UniFi management, which whilst not critical, I would like to do.
It was really just whether the extra cost of the USG 4 Pro could be justified.
Not sure whether the extra now is worth it for future proofing.
I will have a close look at the demo software too. We did trial it at work before we went with Meraki, but that was couple years ago now.

Associate
Hi,

I’ve just had 2 LR’s fitted but now my Sonos is struggling to find my Wi-fi. It does work most of the time but it’s searches for a while before it eventually picks it up.

Anyone know why? Can it be fixed?

Soldato
I had loads of problems with my Sonos kit after switching to Ubiquiti access points. The fix for me was to create a new wireless network that's only used by the Sonos stuff and for that network to broadcast on 2.4GHz only. Since then I've had zero problems.

Associate
I had loads of problems with my Sonos kit after switching to Ubiquiti access points. The fix for me was to create a new wireless network that's only used by the Sonos stuff and for that network to broadcast on 2.4GHz only. Since then I've had zero problems.

Does that mean you have to switch networks on your phone just to use Sonos?

Soldato
Nope, my phone and Sonos are on different wireless networks but are on the same logical network, ie, they're using the same IP addressing and same DHCP server so they can communicate just fine.

Soldato
It's not that much of a pain, it takes less than a minute to setup a new wireless network.

Sonos stuff doesn't like 5GHz networks and they seem to have more trouble with combined 2.4 & 5GHz networks when it's a Ubiquiti AP.

Back
Top Bottom