*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I've found creating a 2.4Ghz only SSID rather useful in a few situations. Not just devices that seem to have some comparability issues with 5Ghz but I have a lot of external smart sockets that are right on the limit of 5Ghz range and so connecting them to a 2.4Ghz only network ensures they stay connected to the internet instead of drifting in and out. In fact I decided in the end to create a 2.4Ghz only wireless SSID that tagged it as a separate VLAN and so now all my IoT things are off my main network at home and thus killed two birds with one stone as it were. Separation and stability.

Associate
Thanks, will try and set up another network.

Does anyone know how I can log into my AP network? I had a cctv guy install and set up but he hasn't left me with any login details and I can't get hold him now :rolleyes:

Soldato
I’m looking at getting 2 access points for a small office, one for the ground floor and one for the first floor. Could someone please suggest the most suitable AP? I’d like to set up 2 SSIDs and 2 VLANs but unsure if the VLAN can be so at the AP or has to be done at the switch?

Thanks.

Soldato
Thanks, will try and set up another network.

Does anyone know how I can log into my AP network? I had a cctv guy install and set up but he hasn't left me with any login details and I can't get hold him now :rolleyes:

Only sure fire way I know is to physically factory reset the APs, install the controller software on a machine on the same network and re-adopt them.

Soldato
I’m looking at getting 2 access points for a small office, one for the ground floor and one for the first floor. Could someone please suggest the most suitable AP? I’d like to set up 2 SSIDs and 2 VLANs but unsure if the VLAN can be so at the AP or has to be done at the switch?

Thanks.

2 x UAP Lite should be just fine for you unless the office spaces are massive. That assumes you don't have fancy new hardware in your clients and need massive throughput. You can create different SSIDs on the same access points and tag them with different VLANs with no problem. You need to ensure your router is VLAN aware though. I'm not sure in that scenario if switches also need to be VLAN aware. Someone with better knowledge than me can probably comment. I run a managed switch so it works but don't know if I swapped for a dumb switch if it still would.

Soldato

Thanks.

Ac-Lites would be fine as already advised. VLAN isn't an issue and you can assign VLAN per SSID, it's very simple either when creating the SSID or overriding it at controller level.

Soldato
Fantastic, thank you both for your help. I'll run some cable for the AP's when I put the cameras in and get them installed in the new year.

Actually one other query - if 1 per floor isnt sufficent can a further 2 Ac-Lites be added at a later date?

Soldato
Actually one other query - if 1 per floor isnt sufficent can a further 2 Ac-Lites be added at a later date?

One of the great things with the Unifi setup is the ability to easily add more APs, just plug in and adopt, the hand-off between APs works really well as does the 5g band steering.

Soldato
Afternoon all

Is there a youtube guide on setting up the APs from scratch, I'd like to think I am confidant from an IT perspective but want to make sure I'm getting it right as per manufactures spec!

Thanks

Soldato
Am i right in thinking the NanoHD is better if you have mostly 5G capable devices and the Pro if you have a even split of 5G and 2.4G.
Also is the NanoHD stable now, when i search for it you get a lot of talk about it still on beta firmware.

Then you have the fact the Nano seems to be able to communicate with multiple devices at the same time, is this a big deal?

While i don't have my wired network up and running yet the wifi is driving me mad so im thinking of just plugging a AP straight into the router and hope it does a better job, and in the future mount it upstairs on the landing.

Edit: Is it worth having a cloud key as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
NanoHD is still a bit meh on stability. MU-MIMO is still a bit of a sales exercise, yes it has multiple streams, yes it can use those streams simultaneously to the same device however MU-MIMO doesn't yet work on upstream so the benefits are a "bit" more downstream bandwidth on supported devices.

Associate
Also is the NanoHD stable now, when i search for it you get a lot of talk about it still on beta firmware.

We've got 1 NanoHD in our head office at work, the other AP's are AC LR's and AC Pro's. The only complaints about poor connectivity on the site come from the office where the NanoHD is located.
A few times it has locked up and needed the power resetting. Reliability does seem to have improved with the 4.x firmware though.

Back
Top Bottom