Folding News 24/11/18

Man of Honour
folding-news-24-11-18.png

Man of Honour
OP
Who is Add77 on the forum does anyone know? Can't find them listed here, must be using a different handle. Seems they have similar setup to me.

Associate
Any way of getting a notification when one of your machines stops folding?
One of my VMs has been stuck downloading a WU since 26/11 which has wasted 100K points a day.

Incidentally it's nice that they've restored some of the credit for CPU folding, as I have no GPUs I can fold on.

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm, is it a Linux VM?

I only ask because I had to write a windows batch file to restart my folding on one of my computers because twice a day it got stuck downloading. So I wrote a batch file to monitor the time stamp of the log and if it didn't change in 3 minutes to kill and restart all the fah processes.

Associate
I've got some Windows desktops and a couple of those have got stuck downloading, but it's the 2 Linux VM's that are the big hitters, they average between 100K and 300K PPD each.

I've got FAHControl setup to remotely monitor all of them, but it's not ideal because they all just show 'Online' as a status rather than the actual status of what the Client is currently doing (Running, Downloading, Paused), so I have to click through the whole list and wait for it to poll each one to find out if they're stuck.

The scripts a great idea, I'll knock one up in shell, thanks.

Associate
Yeah, I'd noticed the timestamps in the log file were slightly further apart than for GPU, I'll investigate further when I eventually get time.

Are there any flags I should be running to increase PPD or have they all been discontinued?

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, I just tried one in Virtualbox on my Threadripper got about 180K using 30 threads, just did the client-type advanced

Associate
The client-type advanced flag doesn't get you any extra PPD according to the docs, It can reduce it if you get a less stable WU.
This setting has no affect on PPD. PPD for these WUs are benchmarked and set exactly the same as every other work unit. However, due to an occasional instability, the WU might fail, which results in lost points, so overall PPD might decrease.
It used to be bigadv, but it looks like this ended a long time ago.
  • July 2009 – Experimental BA program introduction, with 8 core minimum
  • July 2011 – BA points curve adjusted downward, 50% to 20% target
  • January 2011 – Core minimum raised to 16, deadlines shortened.
  • May 2014 – Core minimum raised to 24, deadlines shortened.
  • January 2015 – BA Experiment scheduled to end.

Due to the above I have just left my clients at the default settings.

Back
Top Bottom