Rate my upgrade...

Soldato
Looking back at my order history here at OCUK, I last upgraded in 2011, spending about £400-£500 on mid-range components. A socket 1155 core i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM and a GeForce 460 (I think) with 1GB on board.

Being honest, I had to look that up - I couldn't remember the spec of my rig! Gone are the days of yore when I was into my overclocking, got excited about the brand new 700MHz AMD Athlons, could reel the specs of my build off the top of my head and could dish out advice to those not in the know... I literally have not been following any of the real developments in PCs, the new and various generations of CPU sockets, motherboard chipsets. Didn't even know there was a DDR4...!

So...

I've cobbled together a mid priced basket to upgrade my system. I think (but am not sure) that everything should be compatible with everything else... Other than basic desktop use, usage will be for gaming, but not AAA titles (I'm more into my combat flight sims, IL-2, Rise of Flight etc etc) so outright performance is not an issue, I'd just like something more up to date than the decade old system I currently have.

Any and all feedback and advice would be most welcome :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £577.41 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
No point buying into a dead platform now, A ryzen is your best bet, I have no idea about those but I am sure one of the experts will be along shortly to assist :)

Soldato
OP
I'd not considered AMD - the Ryzen processors seem to be good value in terms of their performance vs price. The one Novakill has linked to seems to be a goer. Do I need to be choosy in terms of chipsets, or is any socket AM4 mobo OK?

I do have an older PCI based sound card which I use for recording, which I would like to continue to use - so a motherboard with a bog standard old fashioned PCI slot would be ideal.

One of the games I play seems to have shader issues with ATI based cards, so I'm keen to stick with Nvidia based graphics - the GTX 1050ti seems to be a reasonably priced 4GB card, is there any reason not to go with it?

Soldato
OP
^^That is a decent spec from NovaKill4...<snip>

What is your current power supply ?

Current power supply is a 620W Antec gamer thing. My current gfx card needs a power connector from it, however the newer GeForce card I'm considering doesn't seem to, so it should be decent enough I think.

Associate
I'd not considered AMD - the Ryzen processors seem to be good value in terms of their performance vs price. The one Novakill has linked to seems to be a goer. Do I need to be choosy in terms of chipsets, or is any socket AM4 mobo OK?

I do have an older PCI based sound card which I use for recording, which I would like to continue to use - so a motherboard with a bog standard old fashioned PCI slot would be ideal.

One of the games I play seems to have shader issues with ATI based cards, so I'm keen to stick with Nvidia based graphics - the GTX 1050ti seems to be a reasonably priced 4GB card, is there any reason not to go with it?

Yep Amd is the king of bang for buck.

Intel is the performance king.

As for the 1050ti the Rx 570 beats it regarding performance and gives you much more fps for the money.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-570/3649vs3924

Last edited:
Soldato
Given the recent Navi leaks and more information coming at CES, I’d consider waiting.

I’d go Ryzen either way, but if pricing for Navi is accurate, the performance per £ could be incredible.

Back
Top Bottom