Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
For some reason tonight i though i would have a look at my virgin bill having been with them for 5 1/2 years and with it set on DD I never really pay much attention to it. £49.73 a month for the vivid 200 pack! **** me i was paying £35 when I first went on it and after looking back its been slowly increasing year on year. Rang them up today to get that dropped down considering they are doing a deal for the same package to new customers for £35 a month plus £25 set up fee. After a lot of bull manure from them they finally dropped it to £37 a month (effectively the same deal as new customers at £35 month + £25 setup fee) only after offering me the 200mb line, a landline and a tv box, neither of the latter i want nor would ever use, for £39 a month.

All in all a saving of £153 nearly for the next year but definitely going to keep my eye on the buggers now. Had no idea i was paying so much but totally my own fault for not paying attention to it

Soldato
I managed to get the 350Mb, Standard TV (TiVo v6) and Landline for £26 when I switched over from BT. Overall the ping is higher and wider spread on my Thinkbroadband Quality Meter but day to day use I can't actually feel a slowness in speed/responsiveness so the stigmas I associated with VM has gone! The only thing I noticed was within the first 3 months there was 1 outage but that was whilst I was at work. So BT was more reliable on FTTP for me as I never had a problem in the 5 years I was with them. However those high prices for Ultrafast don't look very appealing so sticking with VM for now.

Associate
I get the Value Statement by real mail, despite being on DD because I don't want junk.
The annoying part is it tells me nothing except VM likes. wasting paper.

Associate
s!AkPFANr2PugYg4saN6vxADEMEGbU_A

Last edited:
Associate
My VM superhub has been letting me down a lot lately with the wifi dropping entirely until reboots, switching between wifi and ethernet failing along with other issues so I think it's time to look in to a third party replacement and put it in modem mode.

So far I've looked at Ubiquiti (EdgeRouter or UAP with an AP) although the price is fairly high considering I only live in a one bedroom house. I use it at work and really like how easy it is to set up and it's been really reliable.

Friends have looked tried Netgear routers with custom firmware but had issues with wifi drops. Can anyone recommend anything? Ideally I don't want to spend a lot more than £100. I need it to have AC wifi and gigabit ethernet ports and be reliable.

Soldato
My VM superhub has been letting me down a lot lately with the wifi dropping entirely until reboots, switching between wifi and ethernet failing along with other issues so I think it's time to look in to a third party replacement and put it in modem mode.

So far I've looked at Ubiquiti (EdgeRouter or UAP with an AP) although the price is fairly high considering I only live in a one bedroom house. I use it at work and really like how easy it is to set up and it's been really reliable.

Friends have looked tried Netgear routers with custom firmware but had issues with wifi drops. Can anyone recommend anything? Ideally I don't want to spend a lot more than £100. I need it to have AC wifi and gigabit ethernet ports and be reliable.

Cheap. Fast. Good. Pick two.

For Ubiquiti stuff (EdgeRouter or USG line) you're going to pay more than your budget just for a decent wireless AP *or* the (non-wifi) router. Your nearest match would be an EdgeRouter X (~55 quid) with cut through forwarding (hardware NAT/acceleration) enabled, and a UAP AC Lite (~85 quid). Even paying more for a beefier unit (eg EdgeRouter Lite, EdgeRouter 4, USG) you're still going to struggle if you need to use DPI, QoS, or VPN. Consumer stuff just isn't very good, and as fast WAN because more widely available people are starting to bump into its limits (mostly thanks to MIPS/ARM/Cavium type CPUs).

Even with a typical consumer all in one box (router, switch, wireless AP) you'll get full speed over ethernet with hardware NAT enabled, but the wireless side won't be great. Looking on OcUK for units £100 or less, you're only getting AC1200 (which is really about 800Mbps on AC and 300Mbps on N added together).

Honestly I'd say either get VM to replace your faulty SH3 (the wifi on it isn't bad for what it is, if your unit isn't broken), or do it 'properly' and get some decent gear. With a budget set where yours is you'll probably end up with a worse solution than you started with (turning the SH3 into modem mode and replacing it with something slower).

Associate
Cheap. Fast. Good. Pick two.

For Ubiquiti stuff (EdgeRouter or USG line) you're going to pay more than your budget just for a decent wireless AP *or* the (non-wifi) router. Your nearest match would be an EdgeRouter X (~55 quid) with cut through forwarding (hardware NAT/acceleration) enabled, and a UAP AC Lite (~85 quid). Even paying more for a beefier unit (eg EdgeRouter Lite, EdgeRouter 4, USG) you're still going to struggle if you need to use DPI, QoS, or VPN. Consumer stuff just isn't very good, and as fast WAN because more widely available people are starting to bump into its limits (mostly thanks to MIPS/ARM/Cavium type CPUs).

Even with a typical consumer all in one box (router, switch, wireless AP) you'll get full speed over ethernet with hardware NAT enabled, but the wireless side won't be great. Looking on OcUK for units £100 or less, you're only getting AC1200 (which is really about 800Mbps on AC and 300Mbps on N added together).

Honestly I'd say either get VM to replace your faulty SH3 (the wifi on it isn't bad for what it is, if your unit isn't broken), or do it 'properly' and get some decent gear. With a budget set where yours is you'll probably end up with a worse solution than you started with (turning the SH3 into modem mode and replacing it with something slower).

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm currently only on the 100Mbps package although you are right there isn't any point in spending money on gear that will struggle when I eventually upgrade to a faster package. I'll look in to getting my SH3 replaced for now then and look in to something better when I have some cash available for a better setup, although I'm not looking forwards to the process as the fault is intermittent.

Associate
Is virgin media’s top package throttled at all? As we have just got out FTTP box installed to the front of the house and the rest of the install is taking place next week .. lol

Back
Top Bottom