Confused! New AMD build with some unusual requirements

Soldato
OP
Thank you, that's some brilliantly helpful information! Performance between Samsung/non-Samsung based RAM was discussed in the call but they said for real world performance I wouldn't notice any real difference.

The RAM potentially running slower, especially if all slots are used wasn't mentioned at all. :eek: Fingers crossed I guess!

*edit*

Just one more thing, the DOCP, setting it to run at full speed, that's not likely to cause any problems with overheating is it? Again, I just leave things to work at auto generally.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Performance between Samsung/non-Samsung based RAM was discussed in the call but they said for real world performance I wouldn't notice any real difference.
correct - to a point.
going from 3200 c14 (b-die) to 3200 c16 (other ram) doesn't lose a lot of performance (~1%), but memory compatibility may be an issue for non b-die ram (more pronounced when populating all 4 ram slots)
however, if you're forced to use the lowest speed (ie 2400mhz) because the ram won't run at it's rated speed, then yes, it'll show.
the overall system performance difference between 2400 and 3200 ram for ryzen can sometimes be in the region of 10%
(i can't remember where it was said), but a 5% difference is often unnoticeable, but more than that, it becomes increasingly likely that the end-user will notice a difference.
but if you never known what the faster performance was like, then well, you'd never know...lol

Man of Honour
Just one more thing, the DOCP, setting it to run at full speed, that's not likely to cause any problems with overheating is it? Again, I just leave things to work at auto generally.
no
just ensure that DOCP, PB2 (precision boost 2) and PBO (precision boost overdrive) is enabled within bios and the system will automatically run the ram at its full speed and auto overclock the CPU for you. no messing needed except the initial setting up

Back
Top Bottom