New 9700K and Asus z390 - not stable at stock?

Associate
Hi all,

I'm really struggling with my new upgrade, and would appreciate some close-to-Christmas wisdom.

My spec:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Asus TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING
2x4GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3000MHz CL15

Effectively, I am having to lock my max CPU multiplier to 36 to make my system stable with everything on auto. As I understood it, this system should boost to well beyond that when required - without any instability. If I do not lock the multiplier it BSOD's in windows.

My temps look fine in hardware monitor, and the system works great at 3.6 GHz. Clearing the CMOS does nothing. Does this sound like user error? I haven't had to play with any rig to get it stable at stock?

Associate
OP
I am not disputing what you are saying. However, the system cannot complete POST now, so I actually think either the board or the chip (or both!) are faulty.

Might have to take this up with OCUK support.

Man of Honour
However, the system cannot complete POST now, so I actually think either the board or the chip (or both!) are faulty.
ah. try just running cpu, board and ram (using the igpu). don't even plug in the ssd/hdd. if it still can't post then yeah, issue with one of those 3

Associate
OP
Have tried iGPU, 2 other GPUs, 1 stick of ram. Nothing else plugged in.

My RAM is known working, as are my GPUs. Think this is going back.

The Gigabyte boards seem well reviewed, what board would you have picked at a similar cost?

Back
Top Bottom