Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Caporegime
I think Revolut is only good for getting cash out abroad, with no NFC app it makes is pointless, I don't want to carry another card. I might as well just use my credit card (apple pay), in so much that "it's not my money" to get protection.

Signed up to Monzo and Starling just to see, I doubt I will use their current account feature though because I rather trust brick and mortar banks at the moment.

Soldato
I don't have any regrets about ditching Monzo a year or so ago. Starling has been brilliant for me - simply fantastic for someone who travels regularly. Good app, good access to your cash abroad, UK banking licence and hence FSCS protection - nothing really to dislike.

Caporegime
I don't have any regrets about ditching Monzo a year or so ago. Starling has been brilliant for me - simply fantastic for someone who travels regularly. Good app, good access to your cash abroad, UK banking licence and hence FSCS protection - nothing really to dislike.

What's Starling's exchange rate for foreign transfer in taking cash out? Same as Revolut?

Soldato
Ditto. Starling has been really good. I keep reading about Monzo but when I look into it I cannot see any advantage vs Starling.

There never has been. It has always been behind Starling. Starling launched their current account first, without any fuss, Apple Pay was available long before Monzo, and Starling haven't back tracked on fee free ATM withdrawals. Never understood what the Fanfare was with Monzo. A better marketing team perhaps.

Associate
Other than the fact the Starling were first, and they offer benefits abroad on an ATM, what does Starling do that Monzo doesn't? Just curious, cause I'm with Monzo at the moment - and am generally pretty impressed

Soldato
I have this with Monzo, quite a handy little feature and things soon add up :)

For me the round up isn't just handy for quick savings but also adding all my purchases in my Money Lover Android app. Instead of adding say £3.63 I now just add £4 to the entry. Same for any amount and when/if my account is ever with a pence amount I just move that to savings too so my account is always rounded to a nice £x.00

Caporegime
Been using revolut for the last year or so on my holidays and have to say it’s an absolute god send. Rates are pretty much as good as they get and even though I have a physical card which I use quite often abroad. I also have the virtual card but hardly used it.
It’s fast and quick making transactions from gbp to any currency.

I’ve also signed up to curve as well and starling which I’ll give both a go but I have a feeling I’ll probably stick with revolut for the time being.

Caporegime
Been using revolut for the last year or so on my holidays and have to say it’s an absolute god send. Rates are pretty much as good as they get and even though I have a physical card which I use quite often abroad. I also have the virtual card but hardly used it.
It’s fast and quick making transactions from gbp to any currency.

I’ve also signed up to curve as well and starling which I’ll give both a go but I have a feeling I’ll probably stick with revolut for the time being.

It needs to have Apple Pay for me to use it, Starling and Monzo do so those automatically have a big advantage.

Soldato
Been looking at the starling account, is there much point if I don't go abroad regularly over a bricks and morter "upgraded" current account?

Anyone know with the switch thing, if you can do the switch later or does it have to be at account opening?

Soldato
Switched from Monzo to Starling today, it's used as a 'spending' account currently but I've been that impressed with Starling so far I might take the plunge and make it my main account instead of Nationwide (I'll keep that open as it's been going 20+ years)

Pez

Pez

Soldato
Been using Starling for a while now, and have just opened a joint account. I'll be using the switching service to move all regular payments from Barclays as soon as our joint debit card arrives.

Will keep a savings account open with Barclays to keep my foot in the door :)

Soldato
Been looking at the starling account, is there much point if I don't go abroad regularly over a bricks and morter "upgraded" current account?

Anyone know with the switch thing, if you can do the switch later or does it have to be at account opening?

You can switch at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom