Spec me a budget drone

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Got a bit of money for Christmas and would like to buy a budget drone, mainly for indoor use, but occasional outdoor use as well.
Only must haves are easy to fly and some sort of video facility.
No more than £150 and considerably less if possible.

There seem to be numerous cheap ones around but just need some advice separating the wheat from the chaff!

At the top end of the budget saw the Parrot Mambo but was a bit unsure if I need the add on camera module as it also seems to have one in the main unit.

Associate
Heard there's one which was only used twice last week on the bay - has lots of example pictures of airplanes on runways around Gatwick. Seller seems keen to move it quick so can probably get a good price .

Soldato
Take a look at the Hubsan stuff - HUBSAN H501S X4 FPV Drone was one i always wanted!

There is an old fellow on YT that does quite good Drone vids to give you a good idea - he is a bit qwirky but his videos are spanning a lot of stuff (good and cheap)

I think his channel is called Quadcopter 101 or something like that

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I’ll try and find that channel. Hubsan one seems like a possibility.

Regards the budget, I really am just wanting a fun and very basic one for a few minutes of entertainment.
No intention of racing, long range etc.
Really looking for the drone equivalent of the basic r/c cars you used to get in the likes of Maplin etc.

Soldato
I picked up a Parrot Mambo at a charity auction and have been quite impressed with it. Flys great indoors, stable outdoors as long as there isn't much wind and the app works great including auto-record. For a bit of fun without getting too serious it's great.

The flying time is short (5 minutes at best if you are using FPV / camera on the phone) but I was impressed for a simple out the box drone.

I did have a problem with one of the motors but it was £9 online for a new motor and took less than 10 minutes to fit.

Caporegime
Thanks, I’ll try and find that channel. Hubsan one seems like a possibility.

Regards the budget, I really am just wanting a fun and very basic one for a few minutes of entertainment.
No intention of racing, long range etc.
Really looking for the drone equivalent of the basic r/c cars you used to get in the likes of Maplin etc.

I got a jjrc h11c first, great for some indoor, mostly outdoor with little wind.

If you want a decent indoor look at tiny woop varients.

Or, outside the eye one extreme is decent, but the arms are a bit brittle.

None will have decent camera, well,the tiny woops may,but it won't be hd or anything

Soldato
I'd buy that, miles better than all the other cheap junk drones.

That’s what I thought. Rather buy a cheap dji than a cheap generic one even if it doesn’t have as many features. I’m thinking of it as an introduction to the drone world before taking the plunge on something more expensive. :)

Soldato
Thanks again all.
Might give the Tello a go then, seems to be a side product of DJI as well?
One advantage having looked is I can get in shops rather than just Amazon etc.
Other one I spotted which got decent feedback on US sites was this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DROCON-Tra...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SAWF18C1G918N6HHBEN7

The drocon drones are great little things, brother bought the Drocon Scouter Mini for his daughter for xmas, think it was £30 or so, suffice to say she didnt get much time on it, the adults were hogging it for most of the day. Great fun, easy to fly and very agile, flight time was about 7-10 minutes which was enough.

Associate
Got myself the Tello the other day. Very easy to control but I have only used it indoors. Very stable compared to the cheaper ones with control through the app on the phone and the video recording seems nifty. It has some advanced features such as doing flips and things which don’t need that much space. The video quality indoors isn’t that great but photos aren’t too bad considering how small it is. I had a go with the cheaper drones at £50 and they seem to need more user input on a constant basis unlike this one where it will just hover stable when you let go.

I worry I might get hooked into getting the bigger and better versions....

Back
Top Bottom