Car parked on dropped kerb

Soldato
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q440.htm

Police won't tow the car away because they have no right to. They will only tow the car away if it's obstructing the highway, not private land.

They can attempt to make enquiries as to who the owner is, but believe it or not, there isn't a specialspec list of phones numbers they can use. All they use is the phone book and if there is no number listed - not much else can be done!

Caporegime
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q440.htm

Police won't tow the car away because they have no right to. They will only tow the car away if it's obstructing the highway, not private land.

They can attempt to make enquiries as to who the owner is, but believe it or not, there isn't a specialspec list of phones numbers they can use. All they use is the phone book and if there is no number listed - not much else can be done!

If it's preventing someone reaching the road it is obstructing the highway.

Caporegime
If it's preventing someone reaching the road it is obstructing the highway.
This was how I understand it. If you are impeding someone’s access to the road then it is an offence. If however the driveway was empty then it would only be causing an inconvenience accessing private land, and as such wouldn’t be the same offence.

Soldato
It’s an offence if you block a drive with someone already on it that prevents them accessing the road.

It is not an offence to block an empty driveway that prevents someone accessing private land.

That’s how I’ve always understood it.

Associate
Drag/push it so it is blocking the road. Police will move it in no time. May end up getting towed, so hopefully they will get charged for keeping the vehicle in a lock up too.

Soldato
It's an offense to park over a dropped curb and block access no matter what afaik, it doesn't matter if a driveway is empty or occupied. But they will only act if someone reports it (and take forever to do anything).

Your still better off calling a mate and dragging the car down the street. Problem immediately solved. It won't damage it (probably), only confuse the owner.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love how someone has taken the time to link to the answer and yet after it people are speculating what the Police should do! Police have very limited powers to tow a car unless it’s causing an obstruction on the highway, not to the highway or an inconvenience - councils deal with parking offences as a rule and will ticket for a while and can eventually remove under abandoned car powers

Soldato
Trolley jack under the rear diff, shove the back end around 90 degrees, it's now blocking the road & is causing an obstruction.

Associate
Parking is decriminalised in pretty much all suburbs and cities. This means it has nothing to do with the Police and is the Local Authority and their byelaws and penalties which matter and they vary from Authority to Authority.

Associate
Obstructing a public highway is still a criminal offence.
In my opinion, this is not relevant to this case as there is no "wilful"... "obstruction of free passage along the highway" - personally, I can't see this applying to crossing the footpath - I mean have you met our Police these days? Very odd bunch mostly indoors looking for mean online comments and posting bizarre photo tweets. I watched a bit of body cam cops the other days, the short blonde woman actually flailed around giggling and doing a dance at the scene of an attempted murder when a sensior officer congratulated her of her first murder arrest - weirdos!

Soldato
Obstructing a public highway is still a criminal offence.

Parking on a dropped curb isn’t an obstruction of the highway - the closest you can get is obstructing the path so double buggies/wheelchairs can not use them as the path is technically part of the highway and even that’s discretionary under Police powers.

You’re making the common mistake of thinking nuisance parking falls under Police powers that relate to wilful/actual obstruction of the highway.

Caporegime
Parking on a dropped curb isn’t an obstruction of the highway - the closest you can get is obstructing the path so double buggies/wheelchairs can not use them as the path is technically part of the highway and even that’s discretionary under Police powers.

You’re making the common mistake of thinking nuisance parking falls under Police powers that relate to wilful/actual obstruction of the highway.

I'll explain again...

Yes it is. If a car is on the driveway beyond the dropped kerb then you are preventing them from reaching the highway. It is a criminal offence. Which is exactly the case in the OP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom