The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
You'll only need to pay for one or the other. A building survey will pick up any points that the homebuyers will, but you'll get a much more detailed report at the end of it.

For me, a homebuyers was £200 compared to £500 for a building survey. Well worth the money on an older house or one that you intend to build on.

Was £700 for the full survey :(

Should get the report after the new years so figures crossed!

Last edited:
Soldato
Was £700 for the full survey :(

Should get the report after the new years so figures crossed!

If it finds issues then it’s worth it.

A HB survey takes each ‘element’ of a property and ranks it 1-3 with 1 being basically fine, 2 needing attention and 3 needing immediate attention. An element can be anything from the walls to the chimneys to the floors and ceilings etc.

A building survey is more in-depth in that it looks in more detail at potential issues and provides costs and more detailed analysis as to their reason for themoccurring.

To be fair, a building survey is worth having on something more dated such as a pre 1900’s building. Anything after that then you can broadly get by with a homebuyers survey but you should always do what you feel most comfortable with.

Your surveyor should have or be available for a follow up call once you receive the report as contextualising the content is very important. Often buyers see the word ‘movement’ and immediately think the house is collapsing and move to knock money off when often it’s historic or due to seasonal changes in the subsoil etc - hence an actual chat about it is important.

Let us know how you get on and don’t panic lol

Soldato
Yeah they can really vary in cost! I'd put aside a grand for a building survey so was pleasantly surprised. Mine was a 20 something page document, couple of pictures.

I decided to go with the building survey after the lender undervalued the house. I already had an idea of the work the house needed but having the survey to back up my claims (the house was listed as needing 'some modernisation') meant that I was able to knock a very substantial chunk of money off the house price. Obviously this won't apply to all cases, I think my house being sold by family of the deceased owner helped as they wanted a quick sale.

It's worth asking if you can meet with the surveyor at the end of the survey to go over any issues. I went with a one man band surveyor who was happy to oblige but did find that a lot of the larger companies wouldn't entertain it due to 'health and safety' :rolleyes: Having them point out any issues and discuss face to face can be very useful.

Associate
cheers @fastwunz & @agw_01.

Its a 1950s house so relatively new in that regards.
We want to undertake some work such as moving internal walls and extending the property which will require structural steel to be installed and wastewater pipes to be moved.
I have requested they review our plans and their suitability.

They might tell us to naff-off but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Associate
Just an update.

We exchanged contracts on 4th and completed on 7th.

All in relatively drama free. (Sofa nearly didn't fit down hallway. Door had to come off just for armchairs, luckily access part way up in garage into hall made it work)

Been crazy busy so not had time to post. Lots of little bits to do, got Xmas eve, Xmas and boxing day off. So not loads of time to sort stuff over Christmas.

Soldato
Currently in the process of purchasing my first home. The property ive bought is half renovated due to the couple buying 6 months ago then splitting up very sharpish. Ive paid for my searches about 9 days ago, how long do these usually take? Xmas might slow things down a tad but the property had the searches done 6 months ago and its vacant so id assume not too long?

Associate
Currently in the process of purchasing my first home. The property ive bought is half renovated due to the couple buying 6 months ago then splitting up very sharpish. Ive paid for my searches about 9 days ago, how long do these usually take? Xmas might slow things down a tad but the property had the searches done 6 months ago and its vacant so id assume not too long?

We just paid for out searches but I wouldn't expect anything to happen from now till start of next year.

We been told if everything goes smoothly its about 4-6 weeks.
But we already hold backs where our solicitor is still waiting for sellers solicitor to send the contract so they can start working...
I hope you not in a rush haha

Soldato
We just paid for out searches but I wouldn't expect anything to happen from now till start of next year.

But we already hold backs where our solicitor is still waiting for sellers solicitor to send the contract so they can start working...
Not really, but being a first time buyer with a vacant property and no chain id have hoped by end of next month we will be complete.

Soldato
T

You can buy the searches off the original buyers if you want - just get the details of their solicitor from the agent

Associate
Not really, but being a first time buyer with a vacant property and no chain id have hoped by end of next month we will be complete.
Unfortunately it invariably takes far longer than you'd like or expect.

I'm in the process of buying a vacant house with no chain and it's still taken two months already since my offer was accepted. Hopefully I'll be moving some time next month, fingers crossed.

The last of the searches on mine came back last week so that should give you some idea of timescales.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Completed Friday. So delighted and relieved.

My partner and I have made a nice big leap up the ladder . From a 1 bed flat/coach house thing with no outside space to a 3 bed detached with a drive for two cars, detached garage and decent sized (for a new build) garden. Location wise it cuts big amounts of time off both our commutes too.

Completely horrible and stressful process though, the whole thing. All worth it in the end though!

Caporegime
Completed Friday. So delighted and relieved.

My partner and I have made a nice big leap up the ladder . From a 1 bed flat/coach house thing with no outside space to a 3 bed detached with a drive for two cars, detached garage and decent sized (for a new build) garden. Location wise it cuts big amounts of time off both our commutes too.

Completely horrible and stressful process though, the whole thing. All worth it in the end though!

Nice, Coulsdon by any chance?

Associate
Currently going through the process on a 2 bed flat. Searches are happening now, but will most likely be delayed due to Christmas. Getting excited to when we can finally exchange contracts.

Associate
Just got the valuation report back from our lender... -£25k below our offer price which was already 20k below list...
Submitted it to their estate agents asking them to renegotiate or we will pull out.

Not going to be a nice Christmas for the Vendors who I expect to refuse.

Back on Rightmove I go!

EDIT: Reduced Offer accepted!

Last edited:
Associate
Excellent congrats .That must quite difficult for the vendors to stomach. Mind me asking what kind of property it is?

Just a standard house, nothing fancy or unique. I live close enough to London that tiny two bed flat without allocated parking is £220k+

I do feel bad for the vendors, it's not their fault there is such a huge difference but the current market and unrealistic estate agents don't help.

Soldato
Yes, we actually had an update Monday after still not hearing anything. Basically in our letter to the seller we said we can understand if there are financial issues in which case if you can't afford to complete the property (carpets, turfing part of the lawn and a few other bits) then lower the price by £15k and we will finish it ourselves. Didn't hear for 2 weeks then Monday an email from their solicitor saying they will lower the price by £15k and get all the paperwork in order! Pleased although I am still holding by breath until we actually get the paperwork and exchanged but otherwise good news. There's obviously some money issues on the seller/developers side so this is a good solution for both parties.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong but this has disaster written all over it.

Well it took ******* ages, original builder (well woman who was funding it all) owed millions to a bunch of people apparently and is now being pursued legally, banks took over the sale of properties, their solicitors being the worst I have ever experienced (and for some reason were still used when the banks took over), then had the solicitors switched in the last 2 weeks, then our solicitor going on xmas/new years break just as everything was ready for 2 weeks.........we finally exchanged/completed today. We were the last ones in on a new build of 4 houses and were cash buyers, 1 was in ages ago as they bought off the plans so before they were even up but the other 2 who were not cash buyers like us were in before xmas despite all agreeing to buy at the same time. Still, it's done, house is great but more relieved than excited at this stage.

Now to sort moving in over the next couple of weeks :o we already have a puppy ready and waiting though!

Soldato
Shared ownership is basically htb for those that can't afford proper htb.

Is still better than renting, but you essentially are still renting and getting a tiny bit of equity.
When you say proper help to buy, what do you mean? Is there another HTB scheme i don't know of?

Back
Top Bottom