• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Rolls Out Holiday Gift for Pascal Cards Owners – OC Scanner Now Available in MSI Afterburner

Associate
only get +67 on this, which is about half what I can oc.

its a shame it doesn't do memory, because that gives the most performance increase. my gpu is already factory oc'd to 1999mhz.

Last edited:
Soldato
My 1070Ti starts at 974Mhz using the OC scanner not the 1607 base clock. Takes ages and gives me a silly+Mhz number.

Anybody elses starting way below the base clock?

Associate
My 1070Ti starts at 974Mhz using the OC scanner not the 1607 base clock. Takes ages and gives me a silly+Mhz number.

Anybody elses starting way below the base clock?

It has 4 phases when working on my 1080 Ti, presumably for voltage/clock adjustment across the whole range.

When adding 30% voltage it gets me to 2025MHz which is roughly where my manual OC got me so I think it works pretty well. I'll have to see whether it's stable in The Witcher 3 though as that seems very sensitive to any overclocking I do with this card and is crash prone at anything but stock or stock with memory OC and power limit increase

Soldato
It has 4 phases when working on my 1080 Ti, presumably for voltage/clock adjustment across the whole range.

When adding 30% voltage it gets me to 2025MHz which is roughly where my manual OC got me so I think it works pretty well. I'll have to see whether it's stable in The Witcher 3 though as that seems very sensitive to any overclocking I do with this card and is crash prone at anything but stock or stock with memory OC and power limit increase

Have you unlocked the voltage? I saw the check box but left it unchecked.

Soldato
I did that, the curve went up though.

thats normal, the curve moves based on the temp.

so e.g. when I set my curve I do it when the temp is over 55C, and when the temp goes down, the curve will move higher. Its part of nvidia latest boost tech. The bins move around based on temp of card.

This can catch people out when tuning curve's cause you might be e.g. stable at say 1800mhz at 0.800v, then the temp goes down and it makes it say 1836mhz at 0.800v and that makes it unstable. Thats the only real downside of curve tuning.

So in affect this is an extra bonus for water cooling, because you can avoid moving across the bin temp change points and as a result have stable curve behaviour.

Soldato
Bit of a pointless program if you ask me, auto overclocking a card to see what max oc you get on a card that is already power limited and running on a boost anyway.

No fun anymore in overclocking it’s push a button and everyone gets roughly the same. This forum should rename to noverclockers.

Caporegime
Tried this and actually got a lower score in Firestrike...Took me ages to work out.:mad:

Yes I know its poo, but I used the Gigabyte Aorus Engine OC utilty and got the score I was expecting...

Caporegime
Eventually tried this, ended up with a lower firestrike score and spooling fans at ide which it didn’t do before and my very modded GTA V crashing, binned it, all good again!

Soldato
Yes I know its poo, but I used the Gigabyte Aorus Engine OC utilty and got the score I was expecting...

It really is bad isn't it. Why did they even bother. It constantly made my card crash. Didn't investigate much just installed msi and got it to 2012 manually.

This scanner thing did the same pretty much, but decided it was not tracking the same offset so put a curve in. Nice.

Soldato
Here's a question for you.

Lets say hypothetically you go an buy a new Zotac 2080 one of the ones clocked at 1830MHz.

Is it in the cards BIOS that that is it's default clock?

When you run this tool on the card and press default would it set it to this speed?

Would you even bother to run this tool on a new card? How do you know it wont mess up the clocks or even find slower speed?

Are you expecting MSI AB to find a curve that is above the default factory overclock of 1830MHz?

^ Any thoughts on this?

Technically this tool now means I have no idea what GPU's to buy.

Would you just buy the cheapest (with a decent fan) and use MSI AB to overclock it. (Using the automated gentle OC settings) or would you still look to buy a GPU with a faster factory OC for say £50 extra.

If so, would you still use MSI AB on it? (Using the automated gentle OC settings)

And when you compare say a stock 2080 with it's default clock of 1710MHz to a 2080 at 1830MHz what percentage is the 1830 card faster in terms of FPS?

Last edited:
Soldato
^ Any thoughts on this?

Technically this tool now means I have no idea what GPU's to buy.

Would you just buy the cheapest (with a decent fan) and use MSI AB to overclock it. (Using the automated gentle OC settings) or would you still look to buy a GPU with a faster factory OC for say £50 extra.

If so, would you still use MSI AB on it? (Using the automated gentle OC settings)

And when you compare say a stock 2080 with it's default clock of 1710MHz to a 2080 at 1830MHz what percentage is the 1830 card faster in terms of FPS?

If you are going to overclock then the clocks that come from factory are irrelevant (this tool doesn't change anything).

You just want good cooling.

Some might allow you higher power limits, but very few tend to.

Default will always be whatever the BIOS calls the default. An overclocking tool will work from there.

The only time this will set a speed speed below the BIOS if if the BIOS speeds are unstable for some reason, which is never if the card isn't faulty.

Soldato
I've had masochistic fun with this tool last couple of days. It's finicky, oh-so-finicky*. But ultimately helped me set a 2000MHz clock with 1.0V ceiling that doesn't downclock when gaming, for 24/7 usage with bearable fan noise.

* One thing I learned to watch out for is to only migrate the curve to Afterburner, i.e. tick apply, after you have raised the temperature and load again to same figures that the scan produced. Otherwise the curve will change when you tick apply. Never ever tick apply to that profile again if you love it, unless you are on load and with the highest temps reached during the scan. I lost a few decent curve profiles ticking apply when card was back on idle because then they didn't operate as intended when temps got higher.

Also tried three different fan RPM methods for the scan/s:

1. Default fan profile (zero when idle) with +100 Core Voltage + 112% Power Limit.
2. 100% fan RPM with +100 Core Voltage + 112% Power Limit.
3. 55% fan RPM with Core Voltage and Power Limit on default.

The first recommended a +88 overclock. The second a +92. The third +103. Think it kept things cooler overall and showed me where I was going to find the sweet spot. If a card cools even better, or is under water, then this scenario would probably be different.

So persisted with the third method, and after finishing up, pushed the Power Limit to 105% for some headroom for spikes in games.

Back
Top Bottom