Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Soldato
(snip, no point arguing) I suggest you do some research before trolling :rolleyes:

Back on topic; who's done a wellington? a lot of the SV recipes state wrap in pastry etc. and place in the freezer for 30mins before the final roast. But a lot of the traditional recipes state you can put in the fridge for up to 24hrs. I'm trying to figure out the temp differences here. It would be nice to be able to prep it tomorrow and leave it in the fridge for 6hrs or so before the evening, but will the meat warm up enough in the 20mins or so I'm cooking the thing? (SV meat = shorter final cooking time for pastry) :confused:

I have a Thermapen but I don't want to be in the position of burning my pastry whilst waiting for the meat to get back to a decent temp (30c ish?)

Soldato
Yes I agree Scam, no point arguing.
Love our lil sous vide machine, 3rd time we cooked them today we are having 24hr beef short ribs. (can`t freakin` wait) they come out so tender juicy and the flavor is sublime! Only thing is can never decide what to serve with it. As it can be a little fatty by its very nature.
Any suggestions? :)

Man of Honour
(snip, no point arguing) I suggest you do some research before trolling :rolleyes:

Back on topic; who's done a wellington? a lot of the SV recipes state wrap in pastry etc. and place in the freezer for 30mins before the final roast. But a lot of the traditional recipes state you can put in the fridge for up to 24hrs. I'm trying to figure out the temp differences here. It would be nice to be able to prep it tomorrow and leave it in the fridge for 6hrs or so before the evening, but will the meat warm up enough in the 20mins or so I'm cooking the thing? (SV meat = shorter final cooking time for pastry) :confused:

I have a Thermapen but I don't want to be in the position of burning my pastry whilst waiting for the meat to get back to a decent temp (30c ish?)

I do wellington often but not sous vide for the meet i just seal and then briefly in oven to required doneness. If you cool the beef and then wrap you can definitely refrigerate. A big piece (whole thick part of the fillet) can be in the oven for 40 mins without starting to cook more rather than just warm in my experience.

Associate
Hmn thanks but unfortunately I was unable to find a celeriac! (Weird I thought it was a winter veg). I opted for some parsnips but I'm actually trying to reduce dairy (or rather our guests are). I had found a vegan celeriac puree with coconut milk - - Reckon I could try that with parsnips? :confused:

Really? There's loads of them in our local Tesco!

Yep of course - might want to be careful how much coconut milk you add though :)

Soldato
Just LOL at cooking things in plastic bags. No thanks, enjoy your leached chemicals!

Also lol at 36hrs cook time... Not sure if people are in reality or not with this fad?

But what about all the plastic the meat and food you buy comes in? What about all the microparticles of plastic in the water you cook your food in?

As for the 36 hours, what about your 28 day aged steak? What about smoked meats? I'm sure steak and smoked meats are just fads too tbf.

Soldato
... Also lol at 36hrs cook time... Not sure if people are in reality or not with this fad?
To be fair I'm still of a similar thinking. I only recently purchased a Nano, which was on offer and I have only just used it to "cook" a garlic lemon and chili chicken breast recipe yesterday (63.5c for just over 3 hours) and it was perfectly cooked and juicy. I can't complain. However, when I consider I'm capable of pan frying chicken breast or steak or fish in significantly less time and with a visually more appetising end result you do have to wonder at the need for the x number of hours preamble.

I'll be trying out beef and tuna steak in the next few days. Just first impressions ...

Soldato
However, when I consider I'm capable of pan frying chicken breast or steak or fish in significantly less time and with a visually more appetising end result you do have to wonder at the need for the x number of hours preamble.
Well the point is really consistency and guaranteed results. That's all. That's why sous-vide was initially used in professional kitchens and it's only now that a home cook has the "technology". You could cook a chicken breast or steak fantastically well without sous-vide, but can you do it 10 times out of ten? Can you take into account the different thicknesses across the meat, take that into account, can you take into account a different stovetop, a new pan etc? I dunno, just thinking out loud. Sous-vide just removes the variables.

And I'm not sure what you mean by a traditional cooking method being more appealing. If you sous-vide a steak or chicken breast you can sear it afterwards and get the same crust and visual appeal.
I do wellington often but not sous vide for the meet i just seal and then briefly in oven to required doneness. If you cool the beef and then wrap you can definitely refrigerate. A big piece (whole thick part of the fillet) can be in the oven for 40 mins without starting to cook more rather than just warm in my experience.
Thanks. I think I'll be SV'ing in the morning for 2hrs at 54c, do you think that is enough for a 800g venison "thick"* (rump)? (*that's what he called the cut). It'll then go in the fridge once wrapped for probably 5-6hrs. Then cooked in the oven. Sound good?

Yep of course - might want to be careful how much coconut milk you add though
Yep thanks!

Soldato
Well the point is really consistency and guaranteed results. That's all. That's why sous-vide was initially used in professional kitchens and it's only now that a home cook has the "technology". You could cook a chicken breast or steak fantastically well without sous-vide, but can you do it 10 times out of ten? Can you take into account the different thicknesses across the meat, take that into account, can you take into account a different stovetop, a new pan etc? I dunno, just thinking out loud. Sous-vide just removes the variables.
I do get that. Consistency is key in certain situations. I'm not convinced it's needed in a home environment but then I confess my own family life and palate is culinary weak. I'll eat anything, cooked anyhow and it will always be gratefully received.

I accept this may simply be a cooking method lost on me. That is entirely down to my own lack of skill and eatery. I'll continue to experiment and play though!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I was surprised when i bought the nano, its just another enjoyable way of cooking, its great for thicker, larger cuts of meat and free's the oven up for other stuff.

Not sure about veg with it though, that really does take to long :) for average results.

Soldato
I was surprised when i bought the nano, its just another enjoyable way of cooking, its great for thicker, larger cuts of meat and free's the oven up for other stuff.

Not sure about veg with it though, that really does take to long :) for average results.
Indeed; my wife is occasionally critical with larger cuts of meat and dryness, so I am curious if I can do a better job via sous vide rather than a slow cooker which tends to end up as a tasty but pulled meat mess.

Man of Honour

And I'm not sure what you mean by a traditional cooking method being more appealing. If you sous-vide a steak or chicken breast you can sear it afterwards and get the same crust and visual appeal.
Thanks. I think I'll be SV'ing in the morning for 2hrs at 54c, do you think that is enough for a 800g venison "thick"* (rump)? (*that's what he called the cut). It'll then go in the fridge once wrapped for probably 5-6hrs. Then cooked in the oven. Sound good?

Yep thanks!

Plenty long enough. I did the thickest part of a fillet of beef the other day (enough for 6) for 1.5 hours at 53 and was perfect (then just finished on chimney starter as well as a massive chunk of rib eye :) )

Soldato
Did you not read my reply previously?

There is so many cooking method that cook for hours .

So what does your butcher put your meat in? Or does he just hand it to you raw?
Probably the same as my butcher, that waxy paper like what fish and chips come in before they are wrapped.

Only plastic is the carrier bag. Which i reuse as long as I can.

Soldato
And people are asking if Im serious?! 8hrs cooking/prep time PLUS more cooking in the oven, for a STEAK? My grass fed Aberdeen Angus is ready in 4-5mins flat, job done, enjoy the time doing something else.
Well if you were paying more attention to the thread rather than playing Troll-y McTrollFace than you'd see that I'm actually cooking a Wellington. Hence the fridge time. I'd suggest 4-5mins for a steak is too long and you're forgetting resting time. Since you want to be pedantic and annoying.

Man of Honour
And people are asking if Im serious?! 8hrs cooking/prep time PLUS more cooking in the oven, for a STEAK? My grass fed Aberdeen Angus is ready in 4-5mins flat, job done, enjoy the time doing something else.

This must be the biggest con of the modern cooking world. When we clamp down heavily on single use plastics where will this fad be then?

If I was in a restaurant and they made a big deal out of cooking meat in boil in the bag plastics, then have to actually finish it with a flipping blow torch because the method of cooking was so rubbish, I would immediately walk out. The traditional methods have worked for thousands of years for a reason.

Honestly, my mind is blown with this, its insane!

Best part for me is when purchased from the local butcher, there is no plastic, so perfect!

You seem a touch angsty. Nobody is cooking a steak for 8 hours and sousvide is not boil in the bag in any way. Jog on.

Soldato
Uh oh, morning-after food safety question. We have bits of Wellington left over. Given it was cooked SV, chilled, then re-cooked in the oven with the pastry, now back in the fridge... Would it be safe to reheat again?

Soldato
Just put my first cook in for its bath 2 x 2inch ribeyes at 53.7 for 4 hours.with some salt, pepper, crushed garlic and a rosemary sprig.

I look forward to the out come, just need to decide on some sides thinking thick chips and creamy garlic button mushrooms

Back
Top Bottom