you didn't ask the father did you?

Soldato
I asked my wifes father first, I also declined to sleep in the same bed as she did in his house until we were married, which he found incredibly respectful thankfully. I'm old fashioned and treated his roof as I would mine.

Swings and roundabouts.

Soldato
Sex wise? Or emotionally? Sounds cringey. Would probably have been easier just to ask.
Obviously not sex wise. :rolleyes:

It wasn’t cringey at all, we get on really well.

I just made it clear that I love my
(now) wife and have no intention of doing anything to hurt her. They both said it was clear that I make her very happy and that’s all that really matters. :)

Soldato
No I did not. By her own words her father is a waste of space, he wasn't even invited to the wedding.

But then again, in my case would I have needed to since she proposed to me?

She proposed as she was married before and had said she didn't want to again, changed her mind after a couple of years, panicked that I'd never ask so blurted it out over dinner in a Harvester.

Man of Honour
Yes my youngest daughters fiancee did ask me last year.
We have always joked about it and was amazed when he did it.

When I got engaged in 1979 I didn't ask my Father In Law and always wished I had because he was a brilliant man.

Soldato
Yes I asked her father's permission earlier this year.
I'd have still married her if he said no, but I knew how much it would mean to him and the mother by asking.

Soldato
OP
I didnt ask but I did tell him I was planning it, but we were living under his roof at the time so it was more just being polite than anything.
that sounds more like an idea, i might even just bring it up with her there, tell them our plans. much less cringe for me
we've been living together for a good while anyway so its really just going the next step. we've been looking at rings etc

Man of Honour
My first wife said to her mother, “Jean and I are getting married”, her mother said, “Are you? Has he asked your father?”
My then girlfriend said, “Why should he, if I want to marry Jean, I will, dad doesn’t own me.”
My second, and last wife, (my hand to God), called her parents from the U.S., around 11.00 p.m. U.K. time, and said, “We got married today, we’ll have a party when we get back.”

Associate
Asking her father wasn't for me - it was our decision only. Asked her, then we visited her parents and told them we were getting married and asked for their blessing. They were happy, which was a relief as it was only the second time I'd met them.
Father in law still tells everyone how happy he is I asked his permission. I just let him re-interpret it that way, as it seems to mean a lot to him. We both know what really happened :)

Don
Nope I didn't ask and I didn't even consider asking. Whether my wife and I got married was our choice, not theirs.

12 years married this year (17 years together total)

Soldato
I had to ask.

My wife is from a traditional Indian family, and in a culture where the parents are usually heavily involved in the selection of a husband for their daughter, the prospect of marrying a 'gora' would have to be discussed.

Man of Honour
It's weird how this has been playing on my mind since my last post because I really wished I'd asked him (two future Son in Laws did).
My Father in Law was an amazing old traditionalist and I loved him dearly and I was also with him when he passed away.
I'd known him from 1974 to 2011 and in that time never had a missword and neither with my Mother in Law.
I even found myself saying a little prayer to him yesterday apologising and I don't believe in such nonsense.
Thanks for bringing this bad memory up :)

Anyway, the main reason the Father was asked was because the Father paid for the wedding but that tradition has also gone now with most families (not Asian).
My youngest gets married next year and oldies ask me how much it's costing me, we'll give them something.
Young uns expect it will be paid by the couple.

Back
Top Bottom