*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Anyone have any experience with Purple wifi or similar as a public gateway (pub/Restaurant)

Our wifi in the bar is via the providers Router and is poor. I have 2 sites one of top of each other. The subterranean site is under 17inches of concrete roof and can only get copper cables so limited to 20meg. However upstairs can get fibre.

I'm after a AP and have ubiquiti stuff at home.. But I could do with an easy almost plug and play solution.

If you stuck with Ubiquiti you could configure a multi-site setup in the controller and manage all three areas from a single configuration point, not plug and play but certainly what I would be doing if in similar situation.

For a plug and play easy solution you could buy any old AP of reasonable quality and hang it off the service provider router, the TP Link APs are not overly expensive and work OK, but as I said above I would go full Unifi multi-site.

Caporegime
Are you referring to the PoE-24-250W, the data sheet on page 8 states both 802.3af and 24v passive support, look at the bottom of page 8 for which modes are supported on which ports, your cameras only need 4-9W so well within what the switch can supply, it shouldnt be an issue, have you configured the PoE state on the ports through the controller software, you can also log into the switch via SSH and monitor the power status of the PoE ports, change config and power cycle them.
No, the PoE-24-12W PoE Injector. I have two 8 port 150W PoE Unifi switches, but for annoying reasons now have one camera that has to be run off a normal switch, or a switch with PoE passthrough. Given that a five port switch is around a tenner these days, its much cheaper to go down that route, so the switch for this particular camera will need a PoE injector.

Soldato
No, the PoE-24-12W PoE Injector. I have two 8 port 150W PoE Unifi switches, but for annoying reasons now have one camera that has to be run off a normal switch, or a switch with PoE passthrough. Given that a five port switch is around a tenner these days, its much cheaper to go down that route, so the switch for this particular camera will need a PoE injector.

Ahh I see, I had a similar situation on an install and ended up using a Netgear GS105PE which can be found for less than £50, its basically a small 5 port switch that is powered via a PoE which is also the uplink and can also supply PoE on two ports, worked out quite nicely https://www.netgear.com/images/data...t_Ethernet_Smart_Managed_Plus_Switches_DS.pdf

If you want to go the injector route the POE-24-12W should supply passive 24V as per your cameras requirements although only support 100mb, the POE-24-12W-G is the GB version, I have not used these myself and do seem very cheap. Another option might be the TP-Link TL-POE150S 802.3af injector, this should work and I have used these with HikVision cameras without issue but they are around £20-£25 depending where you shop.

Caporegime
Aye the cameras are only 100MB anyway so its sufficient. Also I think if I do go down the pass through route I'll get the ubiquiti nanoswitch as its cheaper than the netgear. I'll see how things perform over this weekend assuming things turn up on time, Cheers!

Soldato
Aye the cameras are only 100MB anyway so its sufficient. Also I think if I do go down the pass through route I'll get the ubiquiti nanoswitch as its cheaper than the netgear. I'll see how things perform over this weekend assuming things turn up on time, Cheers!

I missed the Nanoswitch, yeah that looks perfect, thanks for the heads up for future reference :)

Soldato
Well got my Ubiquiti bits and bobs in order to redo my network ... my landing currently has more network ports available than it is ever likely to need (temporarily whilst I was adopting things).

Going to be dealing with a USG, US-8, US-24, US-48 and a nanoHD. Controller is running on a VM under ESX.

Man of Honour
I've just migrated my cloud key controller to my QNAP NAS. Because they use different IP addresses I couldn't work out how to do a backup/restore, so I used the export site function;. Everything appears to be working fine. I'll shut down the old cloud key and keep it as a backup I think.

Soldato
I've just migrated my cloud key controller to my QNAP NAS. Because they use different IP addresses I couldn't work out how to do a backup/restore, so I used the export site function;. Everything appears to be working fine. I'll shut down the old cloud key and keep it as a backup I think.

What does it run like on the QNAP, which model have you got and how is it installed, is it a hack or running in a VM?

Man of Honour
What does it run like on the QNAP, which model have you got and how is it installed, is it a hack or running in a VM?
I've got a TVS-671 with an i7 installed into it and 16GB of RAM. I just installed the app from here: https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/216

I couldn't be bothered with faffing around and getting it running in container station.

It runs absolutely fine. All that I have lost (that I've initially found!) is the DPI data which is kinda throwaway anyway.

I'm glad I've done it as it I get a port back on my switch, plus before it was POE only so used to crash when the switch it was on had an update or restarted. I know I could have used the separate USB adaptor but meh laziness.

Soldato
Cant for the life of me figure out how to get this thing going.

Tried the mobile app scanned the barcode and nothing happens.

Tried the pc software and dont know what im doing just says No Devices found. I have it connected directly to my laptop with a network cable via the poe injector.

Edit:Never mind plugged it into the router and it showed up. Mobile option wouldnt work though.

Are there any changes worth making in settings?

Last edited:
Soldato
So it's not connected to your network then? That's why the Unifi controller can't find it. Plug the PoE injector into your router or switch, the AP will get an IP address from your DHCP server. The Unifi controller should then find it.

Soldato
Literally underneath the AP I only get 200/20 or so. With clear line of sight etc

Upstairs, it seems the signal degrades rapidly, and I am down to 20/20

Interestingly the upload is always at 20mb or so .

So the bandwidth with WiFi will be pretty symmetrical unlike internet connections, so it will always max out your 20mbit upload.

This is a tad simplistic but imagine the disc of the UAP like the centre point of a massive open umbrella. The signal will be at its strongest along the fabric of the “umbrella” so directly underneath will not be the very strongest point. Equally don’t expect it to operate that well above it. If you can mount it in the same place upstairs rather than downstairs you’ll probably get better overall results.

Soldato
All working, left everything on defaults, apart from adding Alias names to devices so I know what they all are.
First test and it maxes my fiber connection out at 71Mbps say across the living room for it.
The AP at the minute is just on a shelf downstairs bit will eventually get installed upstairs on the ceiling once I connect the house up.

See how upstairs devices for later, firetv used to only say Good so if it's improved I will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom