• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
It will be interesting to see what availability is like. If the usual price gouging happens, I'll wait

Gouging occurs when there's low stock availability. 7nm yields have been very high and AMD have pretty much all of TSMC's 7nm capability to themselves, so I don't see a circumstance so far in which EPYC and Ryzen would suffer shortages.

So hopefully no ridiculous gouging, it just couldn't be justified or masked.

Caporegime
So what's people's planned builds for Zen2? I'm hoping for a decent Itx mobo, I want to downsize from my Enthoo Primo, got my eyes on the Evolv Shift case, can put a 240 AIO in that with a 3700X and hopefully a decent Itx board. Can't wait! :)
Mini ITX build for me.

3700x + Noctura LH12 cooler, if they are still around then
570 itx motherboard
32gb ram
Top spec NAVI card whenever they come out
Louqe S1 Ghost case

It'll look like a nas and go like stink :D

It's all relative anyway. As long as their prices are below Intel levels, whilst offering more cores, then gouging would hardly be the most appropriate description anyhow. If they have marginal increases on the last gen prices, then it'd still represent a great deal.

Soldato
Hopefully I can restart plans for one of my ITX builds too. I was about to pull the trigger on a Asrock B450 ITX with a 2600 (fully hardline loop in a Fractal Node 202), but decided to wait after the leaks landed, then I had to sell on the EVGA 1070 I had waiting. Would be pretty sweet if I can go fully AMD 3000 in the next 6 months and get that project back again.

Soldato
So what's people's planned builds for Zen2? I'm hoping for a decent Itx mobo, I want to downsize from my Enthoo Primo, got my eyes on the Evolv Shift case, can put a 240 AIO in that with a 3700X and hopefully a decent Itx board. Can't wait! :)
I want the rig to last 10 years like the one it is replacing (although with renewed competition in the CPU market that may not be viable), so I'll probably go for a top-end X570 ATX motherboard and a 12c/24t (if the rumours end up being true). As for the case, I think I'll end up with a Fractal Design Define C, although I can't decide between standard and meshify version. I'll keep my current Vega 56 and Noctua air cooler as I highly doubt Zen 2 will run any hotter than my hugely overclocked Westmere chip, even when overclocked, and I also have a 970 EVO and 2TB MX 500 ready to go. :)

It's gonna be depressing replacing my 16 GiB of RAM with yet another set of 16 GiB of RAM, except this time it'll cost 3 times as much (if I'm lucky).

Soldato
I'm probably opening myself up to plenty of criticism and risk looking like a right fool in a few days time but if i was a betting man I'd say AMD are going to mainly announce 7nm GPU's and talk about all the other upcoming 7nm products they're planning to release this year, i suspect we're going to be told that they'll be releasing 7nm Radeon Pro's, 7nm Vega FE's, and 7nm RX Vega's in this QTR.

My reasoning is that we've already got a very limited range of 7nm GPU's in the form of the Instinct MI60 & MI50 so they've probably built up a bit of stock from binning, the reduction in both power and die space afforded by 7nm on GPU's would be a real benefit to AMD GPU's right about now, performance per watt is very important for HPC, server farms and the like, whereas for us consumers it could mean more shaders, TMU's and ROP's without going even crazier on power draw (current Vega is something like 300W) while also keeping die size within reasonable limits (iirc 600mm is close to maximum and Vega was around 500mm).

I also think they'll provide more details on 7nm EPYC, perhaps we'll get some details on some of SKU's core count, maybe a bit about cache sizes, details about the I/O die, etc, etc. Nothing to detailed. They'll probably announce a Q2 release, they'll probably say pricing and more details will follow closer to launch.

They'll probably give some broad brush strokes on 7nm Ryzen with an expected launch in Q3.

No doubt that's all completely wrong and I'll look like a right plumb in three days. :D

Associate
Looking for a silent build, something like this:

be quiet! Silent Base 601 Midi-Tower - exchanging fans out for 2 x Silent Wings 3
be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
16GB Team Group 3000 or 3200MHz
Corsair RMx 650w
500GB SSD
+
Navi / Vega II at £400-450
CPU at £200-250
MSI B550 GAMING PRO CARBON - probably

All in hoping for £1200-1300.

Soldato
There isn't a 7nm gaming Vega, Murphy. Or at least there wasn't for the longest time because the plans were scrapped. Then this Vega II logo showed up, so who knows.

But the 7nm GPUs are Vega 20 and Navi. We know about Instinct already, and it feels too early to talk about Navi. But, AMD have more than this Keynote at CES. They have 3 booths and 2 events spaces, so there's plenty of room to talk about all the enterprise kit, Ryzen and Navi.

Keynote: 2019's adventures in broad terms, how excited they are and push home how they're technology leaders in multiple segments.
CES as a whole: EPYC Rome and Instinct MI60 demos, Ryzen 3000 announcement, Navi tease.

Soldato
Actually, Ryzen is far superior at lower TDPs.
a 15W Ryzen 5 2500U is as fast as i7-4770.
And yet their market share in this sector is still very poor. Around 3% in the last figures I saw, with Mobile Ryzen accounting for just 0.5%. So the recent press release absolutely makes sense. This is a sector they obviously want to break into and could easily make significant gains. Historically AMD mobile CPUs have had a rep for poor battery life which is something they need to shake off.

I can’t however see Apple switching to AMD for a year when their own silicon is rumoured to appear in their desktop/laptop ranges in 2020.

Associate
I'm probably opening myself up to plenty of criticism and risk looking like a right fool in a few days time but if i was a betting man I'd say AMD are going to mainly announce 7nm GPU's and talk about all the other upcoming 7nm products they're planning to release this year, i suspect we're going to be told that they'll be releasing 7nm Radeon Pro's, 7nm Vega FE's, and 7nm RX Vega's in this QTR.

My reasoning is that we've already got a very limited range of 7nm GPU's in the form of the Instinct MI60 & MI50 so they've probably built up a bit of stock from binning, the reduction in both power and die space afforded by 7nm on GPU's would be a real benefit to AMD GPU's right about now, performance per watt is very important for HPC, server farms and the like, whereas for us consumers it could mean more shaders, TMU's and ROP's without going even crazier on power draw (current Vega is something like 300W) while also keeping die size within reasonable limits (iirc 600mm is close to maximum and Vega was around 500mm).

I also think they'll provide more details on 7nm EPYC, perhaps we'll get some details on some of SKU's core count, maybe a bit about cache sizes, details about the I/O die, etc, etc. Nothing to detailed. They'll probably announce a Q2 release, they'll probably say pricing and more details will follow closer to launch.

They'll probably give some broad brush strokes on 7nm Ryzen with an expected launch in Q3.

No doubt that's all completely wrong and I'll look like a right plumb in three days. :D

It's probably wrong A Q3 launch is far too late..

Associate
Speculating on Ryzen 3K OC levels is more than just a stab in the dark. It's a minigun aimed at a skyscraper. We have no idea of the tolerances of the 7nm node at TSMC and we have no idea if AMD are aiming to hit the max of their silicon's capability out of the box or if there's going to be some wiggle room for OC. Let's get the specs first before speculating on something as hit and miss as overclocking.

Associate
I'm waiting to see, they were supposed to hit 5ghz with gen 1 according to rumour mill back then, the next gen was supposed to clock loads higher than gen1, failed on all counts, so time will tell what gen 3 will do.

Back
Top Bottom