20 years on from Half-Life...

Soldato
Great documentary, cannot see it posted already, I did not plan to watch it all in one go:

Half-Life, CS, HL2, DOD, Project Black Mesa etc. Randy Pitchford was very interesting and love the story about Dr. Kleiner.

Half-Life is still the best game ever for me, loved TF2 and Portal and I'm still playing CS. I would definitely buy that Project Borealis game if it works. That could be amazing, if the community finished the story.

Man of Honour
Half life will always hold a special place for me. It was miles ahead of every other game and was a golden age of gaming with almost too many great titles to play. These days I struggle to find one that’ll hook me.

Associate
Great documentary, I'd forgotten about the nostalgia I have this for the game. It was the first thing I played when I went from a 486 to a top of the line PII-450 Voodoo Banshee system, so to say I was blown away would be an understatement. HL DM and later CS were equally massive in the era of getting the internet for the first time.

Been inspired to download the Black Mesa HL remake, which I've had sat in my steam library. Cheers :cool:

Associate
Who was it off here whom had never played half life 2, so he agreed to play it and said it was boring because he was walking / dying from walking for miles in radioactive waste.. It turned out he forgot to get on the hover boat lol.

Soldato
Who was it off here whom had never played half life 2, so he agreed to play it and said it was boring because he was walking / dying from walking for miles in radioactive waste.. It turned out he forgot to get on the hover boat lol.
lol, that's funny I also recall first time playing hl2 even back then I completely missed the hover boat and had to back track for it after wondering why that section was so long! xD

Soldato
The original was great, not really anything to fault imo, so many memorable sections.

HL2 has not aged well though, so many sections looking back now, are just filler, or there to show off some tech or other rather than pure gameplay reasons. Gunplay I pretty bad too.

Soldato
lol, that's funny I also recall first time playing hl2 even back then I completely missed the hover boat and had to back track for it after wondering why that section was so long! xD

I possibly did something worse in HL 1. Got to the Zen world towards what turned out to be near the end of the game, fell off a ledge and in rage hit quickload but by accident pressed quicksave instead!
I had no savegames other than near the start of the game so whenever i loaded i would fall a couple of seconds and splat

Man of Honour

Haha, did the same. Doh! That is the joy of HL, very little hand holding.

I remember the tentacle creature in HL1 (that responded to sound I think). I encountered a bug where I managed to hit it with a crowbar and killed it, made that section much easier!

Soldato
HL has many fond memories as it spawned a ton of revolutionary mods at a point when online gaming via 56k was taking off in the Uk. HL had a great storyline and some amazing creatures and AI to back it up. I hugely enjoyed the gameplay experience all the way upto Zen where I just noclip and godmoded my way through the game.

By the time HL2 arrived, I was sick of it, since its development been rife with issues all over the shop. The engine was spiffy and nice but the AI was terrible and had me killed quite a few times by pushing me off a plank whilst navigating rooftops early on in as I recall. Map design to me was hardly stellar - outer city sections were the worst of all design wise and some bits were too long like that long canal map that you have to navigate by hoverboat - unless you're a certain OCUK'er and decide to sod that and go about it on foot! Don't get me started on the crap sounding weapons either, only the shotgun felt it had some 'meat' to it as everything else sounded tinnie and weak.

Ravenholme....Ravenholme was a masterpiece though.

Soldato

Always reminds me of this.

Soldato
Fyi I did the same on the hovercraft bit - by foot
Ravenholme? - is that a mod?
Ravenholme was a specific night time level in the town by the same name in HL2. Alyx said something about "we don't go there anymore..." when talking to Gordon Froman about it. It was a dark, spooky level with those black headcrabs, zombai's and those creatures that would chase you and shriek at you :o

Ravenholme was a specific night time level in the town by the same name in HL2. Alyx said something about "we don't go there anymore..." when talking to Gordon Froman about it. It was a dark, spooky level with those black headcrabs, zombai's and those creatures that would chase you and shriek at you :o

But you got to use all those rotary saw blades laying around with the gravity gun......oh sweet mercy that was satisfying shooting things in half!

Soldato
I hated the Grav gun :p Too finicky to use with certain objects. Thought when it got souped up later it was better.

I struggled through Ravenholm because I was always low on ammo and didn't realise you were meant to use environmental hazards like exploding barrels and ground mounted saw blades to dispatch waves of zombais.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom