• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Several posts about whether GSync monitors are superior to Freesync monitors, or whether they are the same and GSync is now dead... I obviously don't know how this will play out, but there are definitely bigger differences that just the adaptive frame rate range... check out the reviews of the 34GK950G vs 34GK950F. They both have the same panel, but one has the GSync module... pros and cons, as the GSync has much lower lag than the FreeSync version, but you are more limited on max frame rate and colour gamut range on the GSync.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950g.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm

Caporegime
Its sounds to me like, its not FreeSync you can use on a Nvidia card, its their new software version of G-Sync they are doing, that you can use on a FreeSync monitor, which up to now, is only 12 FreeSync monitors (that have been checked and verified to work), but that doesn't mean, a one that hasn't been certified, won't work, as you can find that out for yourself, via the option in the drivers, to enable it, to see if it does, or not.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Several posts about whether GSync monitors are superior to Freesync monitors, or whether they are the same and GSync is now dead... I obviously don't know how this will play out, but there are definitely bigger differences that just the adaptive frame rate range... check out the reviews of the 34GK950G vs 34GK950F. They both have the same panel, but one has the GSync module... pros and cons, as the GSync has much lower lag than the FreeSync version, but you are more limited on max frame rate and colour gamut range on the GSync.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950g.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm

For everyone of those who make the claims that G-Sync has lower input or less ghosting and wherever else there are plenty more that say otherwise.

Some of them have been proved BS, PCPer for example have a very dodgy video up where they use screens with the same brand and and type and appearance but are in fact entirely different screens, they know this but are refusing to take the video down or redo it.

Some dodgy crap has been pushed out over the years Free-Sync vs G-Sync and no one believes it anymore, Well, some are still in the wanting to believe camp.

Caporegime
For everyone of those who make the claims that G-Sync has lower input or less ghosting and wherever else there are plenty more that say otherwise.

Some of them have been proved BS, PCPer for example have a very dodgy video up where they use screens with the same brand and and type and appearance but are in fact entirely different screens, they know this but are refusing to take the video down or redo it.

Some dodgy crap has been pushed out over the years Free-Sync vs G-Sync and no one believes it anymore, Well, some are still in the wanting to believe camp.

Oh BTW, both those links are of G-Sync Screens.

Associate
Its sounds to me like, its not FreeSync you can use on a Nvidia card, its their new software version of G-Sync they are doing, that you can use on a FreeSync monitor, which up to now, is only 12 monitors. :p

Or their software version of G-Sync is just freesync, or is that me being cynical?

Caporegime
Actually no wait, They are Free-Sync vs G-Sync but again they have different brightness specification, different refresh-rates, different response times, they may be "the same underlying screen" but they are setup differently.

Soldato
A big well well done to all of us who didn't cave and buy an overpriced display with propriotry tech Nvidia's market position is the only thing that allowed this to continue for years. Win for the consumer.

Associate
Does this mean there will be no discernible difference between an actual gsync monitor and a gsync compatible one? The one with the gsync module will still perform better right?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Actually no wait, They are Free-Sync vs G-Sync but again they have different brightness specification, different refresh-rates, different response times, they may be "the same underlying screen" but they are setup differently.

That's my point... they both use the same panel, therefore both actually have the same brightness specification (maximum brightness of 400 cd/m2), but the GSync module results in other differences (better response and lag, restricted bandwidth impacting max refresh and colour gamut), therefore the monitors are not the same to the end user... Freesync and Gsync monitors with the "the same underlying screen" are different.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
It will be interesting to see if Freesync monitors with DP1.4 can offer Gsync at higher refresh rates that the majority of GSync monitors that only have DP1.2.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Edit:
That's my point... they both use the same panel, therefore both actually have the same brightness specification (maximum brightness of 400 cd/m2), but the GSync module results in other differences (better response and lag, restricted bandwidth impacting max refresh and colour gamut), therefore the monitors are not the same to the end user... Freesync and Gsync monitors with the "the same underlying screen" are different.

Some are, others aren't, others are identical. its down to the manufacture on how they set them up, some do it deliberately to warrant the higher price on the G-Sync screen.

A big well well done to all of us who didn't cave and buy an overpriced display with propriotry tech Nvidia's market position is the only thing that allowed this to continue for years. Win for the consumer.

Had i found one like the one i recently bought, which is Free Sync, IPS, 1400P, 32".. for about the same money, £200 i would have bought it, the problem is the G-Sync Module costs nearly that much, the chances of finding any G-Sync Screen, smaller 1080P G-Sync screens for even £100 more than that... they don't exist.

I think that's 'part' of the problem, the fact is those who spend £400+ on screens are very very much in the minority, the vast majority sit in the £100 to £200 price bracket.

Back
Top Bottom