Which Electric Pressure cooker?

Soldato
Pressure King Pro and Instant Pot seem to be the top brands. I love my PKP and use the 5L all the time - Crock pot hardly comes out now.

I would recommend going for the 5L even if you are only cooking for one or two, as the 3L inner pot is small and filling past the 'max fill' liquid line will result in a food eruption and an evening cleaning stew from the ceiling.

Soldato
OP
Pressure King Pro and Instant Pot seem to be the top brands. I love my PKP and use the 5L all the time - Crock pot hardly comes out now.

I would recommend going for the 5L even if you are only cooking for one or two, as the 3L inner pot is small and filling past the 'max fill' liquid line will result in a food eruption and an evening cleaning stew from the ceiling.

Thanks

Don
Ideally you'd have both. There are meals that suit a slow cooker, and meals that suit a pressure cooker. They just offer different options.

I have both, as mentioned above just make sure you get one with a decent internal size.

Soldato
Can the 5 litre hold a stew for 5?

Not sure, i rarely fill it all the way up to the max fill line.

It holds quite a lot of food but i imagine if you were cooking for 5, the biggest one is the one i would go for just to be safe. Most places like Currys and Tesco stock them, so might be worth having a look and making a judgement before pulling the trigger. Somewhere on the internet there may be inner pot dimensions, so that you could compare them to a pot you have at home.

Soldato
OP
Not sure, i rarely fill it all the way up to the max fill line.

It holds quite a lot of food but i imagine if you were cooking for 5, the biggest one is the one i would go for just to be safe. Most places like Currys and Tesco stock them, so might be worth having a look and making a judgement before pulling the trigger. Somewhere on the internet there may be inner pot dimensions, so that you could compare them to a pot you have at home.

You highly recommend your one then? See a few negative reviews on Amazon.

Soldato
I got the Instant Pot Duo and it is superb. I think it's 6 L and cooks ample amounts of beef stew for two of us with leftovers for lunch the next day using the smallest amount of liquid. Could easily cope with more ingredients to make a bigger batch.

Ribs have been a revelation in it as has chicken breasts/wings/thighs etc. Ribs literally fall off the bone, finished under the grill to crisp up a little and you are putting take-away Chinese to shame.

Did a beef stew in it yesterday in circa 35 mins and it tasted fabulous, meat falling apart. Chicken curry using breast meat also amazing in around 8 mins.

Can't recommend it enough. Get it when it's on offer though, got mine for £79 which was a bargain.

Slow cooker has been relegated to the cupboard of doom.

Soldato
I would recommend going for the 5L even if you are only cooking for one or two, as the 3L inner pot is small
I assume one with two pots, or compartments does not exist ? to contemplate being ble to do both rice/rice-pudding/porridge, as well as 4 person meals.

I never use my slow cooker now, i just use the slow cooker function on the pressure cooker with the lid on and the valve open
so, unlike the good-eats article in the parent thread, a quicker scheduled pressure cook, does not give better stew results. ?

Ribs have been a revelation in it as has chicken breasts/wings/thighs etc. Ribs literally fall off the bone, finished under the grill to crisp up a little and you are putting take-away Chinese to shame.
Did a beef stew in it yesterday in circa 35 mins and it tasted fabulous, meat falling apart. Chicken curry using breast meat also amazing in around 8 mins
so ribs are marinated before ... or ? waitrose short ribs on offer again
the 35mins/8mins are the at pressure time ? but total turnaround is 1hour/30mins ?

Soldato
Single pot i'm afraid but you do get a divider where you can put a plastic tray to steam rice in a second container on top. Pointless to do that imo as one thing will end up overcooked. A Higher pressure/higher heat cook may cook something quicker but some things are a bit easier when you use the slow cook function, such as things with too little moisture to build up pressure. Things with very thick sauces for example.

For ribs i usually put spare pork ribs in the cooker with marinade (if i have had time to marinade it) and stock up until the minimum fill line. Then i hit the 'Meat' or 'Stew' setting for 20/22 minutes and after that the ribs should be tender enough that some will fall off the bone just getting them out. You can eat as is or crisp the outside on a BBQ or grill for 10/15 minutes.

Check out recipes online for timings. Some may sound a bit long but the equivalent for some of these 30 minute ones are a 4-6 hour slow cook.

Soldato
I assume one with two pots, or compartments does not exist ? to contemplate being ble to do both rice/rice-pudding/porridge, as well as 4 person meals.

so, unlike the good-eats article in the parent thread, a quicker scheduled pressure cook, does not give better stew results. ?

so ribs are marinated before ... or ? waitrose short ribs on offer again
the 35mins/8mins are the at pressure time ? but total turnaround is 1hour/30mins ?

I bought some plain ribs from Costco, marinaded them in Chinese 5 spice powder from the Chinese supermarket for a couple of hours then bunged them in the instant pot for I think it was 25 mins, about 7-10 mins to get to pressure. They honestly were better than any ribs I've ever made.

35 mins for the stew with about 10 mins to get to pressure so 45 min turnaround post ingredient chopping and stock making.
8 mins for the chicken with about 5-7 to get to pressure so about 15 mins plus chopping

I believe you can do what they call pot in pot cooking to do a couple of items separately but I've never tried it.

The slow cooker or stove do produce better stew results, you can get close if you reduce the stew post-cooking, but if you are on your way home from work and you fancy beef stew you can get one done and on table for a busy family in under an hour, providing Waitrose have foie gras encrusted beef chunks on offer :)

Caporegime
We bought a 5L pressure king pro recently and I'm just getting to grips with it.

Had sausage casserole last night and whilst it was very nice, I can see me making large batches of roux for the freezer as the sauce doesn't thicken much.

Plan for this weekend is beef brisket fajitas tonight and the tikka masala with steamed rice recipe from the slow cooker thread, using chicken thighs browned in the pkp then pressure cooked.

Will post pics.

Soldato
Anyone had any issues with their pressure king pro? My 5L has randomly stopped detecting the lid and now won't allow any pressure cooking, the browning function works fine, although it will go on with no pot or anything in (I can't remember if this is allowed) which would appear to indicate a faulty pot pressure sensor.

Soldato
Rather than faulty pressure sensor i would say that the lid is not making contact correctly. I imagine that when the lid is on properly, its contact is meant to short something telling the PKP that the lid is on and so can only use the 'lid on' modes such as steam/slow or pressure cook.

I would contact the manufacturer. Mine has been rock solid with continuous use since getting it a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom