New Build Spec Check!?

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Hey Guys & Gals,

Been a long time since I last posted and even longer time since I last specced and built a PC... My last build was an Intel Q6600 System :o

For the same(ish) money is there anything you would change?

Ryzen 5 2600X Gen2
ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 MHz
ASUS AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB ROG STRIX
2x Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 250GB M.2
Antec 650W NE650M Power Supply/PSU (Already got an old Antec Quiet Case I'll be putting it all in)

£1080.88 inc VAT

I'll be running VM's hence the 32GB memory and using it for UE4, Fusion 360, Photoshop etc Game and CAD Design stuff.

Soldato
My last build was an Intel Q6600 System
Well, that Antec PSU is nearly as old design.
(hopefully case isn't as old)
Would recommend modern PSU, meaning 80+ Gold.

Bitfenix Formula is the cheapers with quality capacitors.
But it has fixed cables.
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro is semi-modular, though usually you can get fully modular Seasonic Focus Plus Gold cheaper.

Soldato
Personally I would go with a cheaper board, something like the MSI B450 Tomahawk and up the cpu to the R7 2700.

Also works out a bit cheaper to get a 500GB 970 EVO.

In any case wait for CES this week and see if AMD announce Ryzen 3xxx.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys...

Well, that Antec PSU is nearly as old design.
(hopefully case isn't as old)
Would recommend modern PSU, meaning 80+ Gold.

Bitfenix Formula is the cheapers with quality capacitors.
But it has fixed cables.
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro is semi-modular, though usually you can get fully modular Seasonic Focus Plus Gold cheaper.

The PSU I've specced is an 80+ Hybrid Modular... not sure why this isn't a modern PSU :-/

https://antec.com/product/power/ne650m.php

Whats wrong with the case being so old? It's an Antec Sonata

Personally I would go with a cheaper board, something like the MSI B450 Tomahawk and up the cpu to the R7 2700.

Also works out a bit cheaper to get a 500GB 970 EVO.

In any case wait for CES this week and see if AMD announce Ryzen 3xxx.

The MSI only has one M.2 Slot, the reason why I've gone for the ASUS and two 250GB 970 EVO's is so I can run them in Raid 0.

Good shout on waiting until after CES though ;)

Soldato
The MSI only has one M.2 Slot, the reason why I've gone for the ASUS and two 250GB 970 EVO's is so I can run them in Raid 0.

Good shout on waiting until after CES though ;)

You only get half the bandwidth on the 2nd M.2 Slot though. The top one runs at pcie 3.0 x4 and the bottom one runs at pcie 3.0 x2.

2ypg37b.jpg

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Thanks Lee completely missed that!

Even the most expensive ASUS board only has one x4 speed M.2 slot....

Will two running in RAID 0 still not be better than just one in the x4 slot though?

Edit /

Just been doing some reading, and I think you are right, I'll get a single 512GB NVMe for now

Last edited:
Soldato
The PSU I've specced is an 80+ Hybrid Modular... not sure why this isn't a modern PSU :-/

https://antec.com/product/power/ne650m.php

Whats wrong with the case being so old? It's an Antec Sonata
80+ Bronze is medieval by now in pc tech term.
Two steps higher 80+ Gold efficiency class is about decade old.
This is the kind of difference there's in between them to amount of waste heat producced by PSU:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/power-lost/Figure-6-Seasonic-load.png
And design wise it's pretty darn sure bet that 80+ Bronze PSU uses very outdated design to push price down.

Antec Sonata is total crap for gaming/power use PC...
Funnily enough drop first "a" from name and you'll even have Finnish word for dung.
Use of PSU as case exhaust had its best before date 15+ years ago.
Case designers were just slow to dig their fingers out from their butts and PSU was moved to bottom in good cases "only" dozen years ago.
PSU on top was designed literally at time when typical heat output of PC parts was in class of 50W...
And extremely ineffcient PSU itself could produce almost as much waste heat, needing anyway noisy high speed fan for its own cooling.

Now CPU alone can produce twice the heat and graphics card still many times more.
And Son(a)ta is pretty completely lacking in intake airflow, making it double bad.
If graphics card was reference model with heat exhausting blower cooler that would help some.
But non-reference coolers just dump their heat to inside case.

Will two running in RAID 0 still not be better than just one in the x4 slot though?
Except for some file copying (double data loss chance) striping gives very little for home use with any kind SSDs.
In fact whole difference between SATA signaled and lot more expensive per GB NVMe SSDs is pretty non-existent in loading speed of both Windows and games:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Crucial/MX500_M.2_1_TB/8.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Crucial/MX500_M.2_1_TB/13.html

Advantages realize really only in pretty much raw R/W speed or very heavy I/O demanding situation.
So with limited budget SATA signaled SSD loses very little for notable save in price.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Thanks EsaT very informative!

What do you think to the Corsair 200R Carbide cases and Corsair 650W TX650M Gold Hybid?

Going to ditch the AMD GPU and go with the announced Nvidia RTX2060 at CES I reckon.

Soldato
^^^backing up EsaT , onl true application that loves NVMe drives is Pixel 4D, have seen others but helps a few companies around EU build workstations with 3 drives in RAID because then are handling tens of thousands of high resolutions to and from ram and swapping from sata 3 ssd can save days in working time .

for games and small video edits, no difference at all

depending on home many VM you run, if 4 then 9700k or 8700k with 3 VM .

intel has stronger IPC/IMC and clock speed which would help with CAD and adobe programs

same price as your 2600 ssystem , but at stock runs all cores at 4.6ghz and has less issues getting 32GB to work , specially if you double it in future over 4 dimm slots
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,089.03 (includes shipping: £11.10)

and just for pure fun! although TR4 12 core out of stock and need to find a cooler... VM dream machine though

BB CODE
Total: £1,116.03 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
^^^backing up EsaT , onl true application that loves NVMe drives is Pixel 4D, have seen others but helps a few companies around EU build workstations with 3 drives in RAID because then are handling tens of thousands of high resolutions to and from ram and swapping from sata 3 ssd can save days in working time .

for games and small video edits, no difference at all

depending on home many VM you run, if 4 then 9700k or 8700k with 3 VM .

intel has stronger IPC/IMC and clock speed which would help with CAD and adobe programs

same price as your 2600 ssystem , but at stock runs all cores at 4.6ghz and has less issues getting 32GB to work , specially if you double it in future over 4 dimm slots
Total: £1,089.03 (includes shipping: £11.10)

and just for pure fun! although TR4 12 core out of stock and need to find a cooler... VM dream machine though

BB CODE
Total: £1,116.03 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Please this is crazy, a 500W PSU for an X399 system? As for the person suggesting a 9700K for running VM’s and other workstation apps that’s also crazy! Threads matter and he’d be far off better with a 9900K or an 8700K. There’s a great deal on a Seasonic 850w Platinum PSU at £124.99.

Also is you are going TR you are much better with 4 x 8GB than 2 x 16GB but I’d certainly look for a kit that is on the QVL list rather than the TeamGroup kit as others have reported issues on some Ryzen boards.

Thanks Lee completely missed that!

Even the most expensive ASUS board only has one x4 speed M.2 slot....

Edit /

Just been doing some reading, and I think you are right, I'll get a single 512GB NVMe for now

Incorrect the Asus Crosshair VII Hero can run dual NVME drives in RAID0, Wendell at Level1Techs did a video on it, the only caveat is the primary PCI-E slot needs to run in x8 instead of x16 but for 95%+ of video cards that’s not an issue.

To the OP I think you need to go back to the drawing board a little
Hey Guys & Gals,

Been a long time since I last posted and even longer time since I last specced and built a PC... My last build was an Intel Q6600 System :o

For the same(ish) money is there anything you would change?

Ryzen 5 2600X Gen2
ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 MHz
ASUS AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB ROG STRIX
2x Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 250GB M.2
Antec 650W NE650M Power Supply/PSU (Already got an old Antec Quiet Case I'll be putting it all in)

£1080.88 inc VAT

I'll be running VM's hence the 32GB memory and using it for UE4, Fusion 360, Photoshop etc Game and CAD Design stuff.

I think you need to take a more realistic view of either your budget, or your requirements! If you search my posts you’ll see I’ve posted lots of information about X470 boards. Realistically you should be looking at a 2700X if your budget cannot change, but with a different board, and better memory.

Soldato
@ilc72

https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator

plus im lucky enough to know bequiet staff - but yeah, forgot to change out 500w unit for 600w gold modular unit on sale for £60 .

starting to grate when people dont google PSU supplies. everything thinks 650w is a 650w unit.... different brands operate differently along with eff ratings and pricing for their own units . I.E bequiet flagship would run 500w roughly 70% load with entry running 90%

now if your going to OVERCLOCK that TR4 socket, then yeah , would be looking at 650w/700w unit as thats when TDP flies out the window!

and look carefully at the list, its 4 x 8gb units, just two packs of 16gb kit...

Soldato
Please this is crazy, a 500W PSU for an X399 system? As for the person suggesting a 9700K for running VM’s and other workstation apps that’s also crazy! Threads matter and he’d be far off better with a 9900K or an 8700K. There’s a great deal on a Seasonic 850w Platinum PSU at £124.99.

Also is you are going TR you are much better with 4 x 8GB than 2 x 16GB but I’d certainly look for a kit that is on the QVL list rather than the TeamGroup kit as others have reported issues on some Ryzen boards.

Incorrect the Asus Crosshair VII Hero can run dual NVME drives in RAID0, Wendell at Level1Techs did a video on it, the only caveat is the primary PCI-E slot needs to run in x8 instead of x16 but for 95%+ of video cards that’s not an issue.

I think you need to take a more realistic view of either your budget, or your requirements! If you search my posts you’ll see I’ve posted lots of information about X470 boards. Realistically you should be looking at a 2700X if your budget cannot change, but with a different board, and better memory.

He doesn't need an 850W psu though if he is going with Ryzen 6/8 core cpu and a lower end gpu such as the RX 570/580. A 550W is already more than fine.

As for the CH VII board that is £240. Already been stated by EsaT that Raid 0 is pretty pointless for the most part unless doing specific tasks. So shelling out that much would be a waste.

I already suggested a cheaper board (B450 Tomahawk) and an R7 2700. That would do perfectly fine.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP

I'm not saying you can't do RAID0 but isn't the 2nd nvme slot limited to X2 speed, same as the ROG STRIX?
Just hold fire as long as you can, the new Ryzen chips could be a game changer and will be announced soon

Yeah I'm going to wait until Feb now and see what the market is like then, I don't want to wait any longer than March to build the system though.

Soldato
End of Q2 is next CPU launch , if your going to wait you wait till then, if not- just GPU market with incoming rtx 2060 .

Some people have missed out on good deals with people stating ryzen 3000 at CES which is a shame .
Amd would not release a CPU without vendor support, this includes sending engineering samples for x570 boards as well as older boards for vendors to support them across AM4 platform

Soldato
The RTX 2060 is £329 was hoping it was going to be cheaper :(

Lets see what AMD has to announce today! Hopefully more than just the Mobile gaming stuff

still cheaper then gtx 1070/70ti and 1080 which is almost matches ! Tensor cores seems to be a good step forward - just will take engine designers and developers to push its uses along with nvidia , RT cores not to fussed with personally

Associate
I'm not saying you can't do RAID0 but isn't the 2nd nvme slot limited to X2 speed, same as the ROG STRIX?

Yeah I'm going to wait until Feb now and see what the market is like then, I don't want to wait any longer than March to build the system though.

No the second slot can also be x4 since it is the only X470 board that allows the PCI-E lanes to be configured. All explained and demonstrated in this video.

https://youtu.be/GM4TkiU35vI

Back
Top Bottom