Installed NVME now mechanical drive is missing.

Soldato
As above, I just installed my 500gb 970 Evo but now my mechanical storage drive is not being detected in windows.

I've initialised the evo and given it a different drive letter and restarted but my D drive is missing.

I'm on the Aorus Z390 master with a 9900k if that helps.

Soldato
Read page 33 onwards of your motherboard manual (CH1 - Internal Connections). Each M2 header shares bandwidth with SATA ports or a PCI slot. ie plugging in an M2 device slows or disables other things on the board.

Soldato
Came in to post this. Generally when you install an m.2 nvme two of the SATA ports are disabled to provide the necessary bandwidth.

Weirdly I just had a SATA data cable spontaneously die on me; restarted after installing software and the drive was gone, never seen it happen before. Had a bit of a panic that I'd installed something dodgy at first.

Glad you sorted it OP.

Read page 33 onwards of your motherboard manual (CH1 - Internal Connections). Each M2 header shares bandwidth with SATA ports or a PCI slot. ie plugging in an M2 device slows or disables other things on the board.

We may not have upvoting on here, but a post like this deserves some kudos for it's specificity and epic helpfulness.

Associate
Came in to post this. Generally when you install an m.2 nvme two of the SATA ports are disabled to provide the necessary bandwidth.

Weirdly I just had a SATA data cable spontaneously die on me; restarted after installing software and the drive was gone, never seen it happen before. Had a bit of a panic that I'd installed something dodgy at first.

Glad you sorted it OP.

We may not have upvoting on here, but a post like this deserves some kudos for it's specificity and epic helpfulness.

Ditto.

Soldato
I wish I'd known about the m.2 slots sharing bandwith with the sata ports earlier. I had a spare, delidded 4690K and was looking for a board to drop it in. Picked up an Asus Z97-P off the bay for
£30, as it was for parts or not working. One of the sata connectors had been ripped off the board and left the connector pins randomly sticking out of the mobo.
Managed to de-solder most of the pins, and drill the remaining ones out. Soldered on a spangly new sata connector, nice tidy job too! I had the m.2 installed on the board and just couldn't figure
out why the repair hadn't worked when I connected up a second drive to it.

Back
Top Bottom