Associate
CPU-I5 4460
Mobo-Asus H81M-K
GPU-Evga 980TI Hybrid or MSI 1080 Armor OC
PSU-Cooler Master 700W Silent Pro
RAM-Team Group 2x4GB DDR3 or 2x8GB DDR3 Samsung
SSD boot-two different SSDs with two separate OSs on (8 Pro and 10 Home)

PC boots up fine and will load up and play/run games or stress tests absolutely fine with no artefacts etc. and then suddenly the display will switch straight off with no error messages etc. Strangely though, the PC still seems to be running after it does this and will keep running after this but with no display. The failure can happen at any time from running for a just a few minutes to running multiple GPU stress tests for over an hour; just suddenly goes with no warning.

I have tried:
-swapping out GPU, SSD (different OSs), RAM and I can try PSU tomorrow but not sure how it can be this realistically.
-multiple monitors and connectors: HDMI, DVI and DVI-D.
-monitoring the temps and clocks etc. to ensure everything looked normal/under TDP and it all was fine and low temps.
-using the integrated mobo graphics but I cannot get it to work at all, even when the screen is working when first turned on. When I connect the cable the screen does 'react' but will then go to no input message after deciding it wont display through the mobo. I have tried using the integrated by itself or in conjunction with the GPU graphics and neither works.

So I have pretty much run out of ideas as to what to try. My only guess now is that it is the mobo being faulty in some way but I don't have a spare 4th gen CPU/mobo combination to test that. Anyone had any experience with this error or have any ideas as to what might fix it?

Any help greatly appreciated and please ask if I missed out any information.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update:

Managed to get integrated graphics to work so hooked up one screen to that and one to GPU. GPU screen stopped getting input after an hour of running stress tests, but the integrated screen stayed on. I wasnt able to do anything on the screen however, despite the cursor being on it and after about 30 seconds of trying various keyboard steps I got a blue screen and error message.

I have looked at the various dumps given for error reporting but have no idea what to do with that information. If someone can help me by looking at them I would appreciate it.

Associate
I had a similar issue to yours quite a while back, in my case something was causing a short in my case so I ended up rebuilding (I had to anyway since I had new components I wanted to install) and didn't have the problem since, could be worth a try?

Associate
OP
Yeah thanks mate appreciate the reply but I don't think it would be giving error codes in the way it is if it was caused by a case short. I always re-build outside the case though when troubleshooting a broken PC like you say as it removes a potential variable.

Really just want to take a look at these error codes now but have no experience with them.

Associate
OP
Sorry I should have said error reports or files; the ones that get sent off to Microsoft when you get the 'your PC ran into a problem' blue screen. There is no error code unfortunately or I would have looked it up.

I have three report logs generated from such incidents but no idea what to do with them. Also does the forum not let you attach files directly from your PC? or am I missing something

Associate
Are they the minidump or MEMORY.dmp files? If so I can take a look for you, I have a small bit of experience in that but I'm not promising anything. Feel free to zip them up and whack them in google drive or something and send me the link?

Associate
OP
Appreciate the help mate thanks. Yeah I got three different ones according to the error: minidump (which I have), user appdata/local/temp folder .xml file (couldn't fine any file of this name in there though) and one memory dump one which I couldn't find again.

Here are the three mini dump files from three separate occasions when it has crashed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w4XJEijGnNdw0Wuhml4RTbUIDdQws8Nw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jwrkZhEs1vGgz_FNMzhKm3DzQz7eiFAE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Udt97dzw0dofIXZ2SvP5xE8U9GkShq6F/view?usp=sharing

Associate
Okay so I've taken a quick look and the error that you're getting seems to be DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which is potentially being caused by the iaStorA.sys driver. This driver is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and yours seems to be out of date. Your version is 15.9.0.1015 and the latest version is 16.8.0.1000. You can find the latest Intel RST driver here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...ology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?v=t

Please try updating that and see if it affects anything.

Associate
OP
Sorry meant to get back to you about it.

Gave what you said a try but didn't seem to help really. The motherboard was doing stranger things each time I tested something at this point and eventually just wouldn't give any display, even at start. Think the board must just be dead and the issues I was having were just the motherboard exhibiting signs of its slow death to failure.

Again, appreciate the help and I guess this can be closed now if that's something this forum does?

Associate
Ooh that's not good. Just so you know, if a replacement motherboard doesn't fix it then it mayyyy be your CPU. I had a problem similar to this and it turned out the CPU was fried (verified by replacing practically every component, and nothing fixed it until the cpu was replaced).

Associate
OP
That would be strange though because of how it was behaving. My understanding being that if a CPU is broken; burnt contacts, over-heated etc., then it is just dead and wont boot at all. This is still booting but giving no display output and died slowly over time.

Either way they both need testing apart from each other so time to buy a second hand 4th series CPU I think!

Back
Top Bottom