If you could travel back in time..

Soldato
We already know how the pyramids were built, so, well, **YAWN**

I'd like to go back to something like the day before MH370 disappearance and put some other form of tracking on it to see what really happened.

Man of Honour
We already know how the pyramids were built, so, well, **YAWN** [..]

Not absolutely. There are some grey areas of detail about the Cheops/Khufu/Great pyramid.

The problem is its height and positioning. A straight external ramp to carry stones to the upper part (the usual method) is impossible. The ramp would be implausibly large because of the height and the local terrain would make it even more implausible. An external ramp around the pyramid would be a problem for line of sight, which is thought to have been necessary for ensuring the continued degree of consistency in shape. So the theory SexyGreyFox mentioned is (IIRC) an internal ramp, which is plausible but unproven. External ramp for the lower part, which accounts for the great majority of the stones, then an internal ramp for the higher parts.

Soldato
If I could travel back in time it wouldn't be to see particular historical events, I would like to live and explore a 'period' in time instead.

My choice would be to go back to the 80s and to live through and experience the whole decade. I was born in 87 and was too young to have lived through the 80s to appreciate it and I quite like the idea of exploring 80s America.

The other period I would like to go back in time to basically experience it again but more thoroughly would be the 90s. I grew up in the 90s but I would have loved to have experienced life in the 90s as an adult.

I love the technologiy of the 80s and 90s, and I also think there was a healthy balance of technology being used but not quite so dependently as it is now. I also think politically here in the US and the UK things were much better as well as economically as well.

As much as I ldo ike to see the progress and great strides we make in medicine and technology that help improve our lives today, I feel we have regressed in many ways and that to me is disappointing.

I know these days many people love to do everything from the convenience of their phone - and it certainly has been very fascinating watching the evolution of the smart phone become more and more sophisticated - but I miss not having the great depenency of technology as it was in life in the 80s and 90s. I also feel the over saturation of the Internet being connected everywhere means there is no break or separation from it, and that it is harder to disconnect from the online world and to be more in touch with the world outside of it. Fortunately, I do see that, but many people I know do not, and they live their lives being dependent on the online world such as social media.

I don't mean to turn this into a debate about the pros or cons of the way technology has changed our lives, but I can't help but notice how much we have in some ways regressed in some ways, that it makes me want to go back to go back to certain decades of the past where times were simpler and in some ways better, depending on how you see it.

Man of Honour
My choice would be to go back to the 80s and to live through and experience the whole decade. I was born in 87 and was too young to have lived through the 80s to appreciate it and I quite like the idea of exploring 80s America.

The other period I would like to go back in time to basically experience it again but more thoroughly would be the 90s. I grew up in the 90s but I would have loved to have experienced life in the 90s as an adult..

Born 1960's. Grew up in to 70's. Became a man in the 80's and 90's. They were incredible. I had so much fun. I need to get back to that time. Nothing has compared since. It was such a good time.

Soldato
Not absolutely. There are some grey areas of detail about the Cheops/Khufu/Great pyramid.

The problem is its height and positioning. A straight external ramp to carry stones to the upper part (the usual method) is impossible. The ramp would be implausibly large because of the height and the local terrain would make it even more implausible. An external ramp around the pyramid would be a problem for line of sight, which is thought to have been necessary for ensuring the continued degree of consistency in shape. So the theory SexyGreyFox mentioned is (IIRC) an internal ramp, which is plausible but unproven. External ramp for the lower part, which accounts for the great majority of the stones, then an internal ramp for the higher parts.

They recently revealed that much shallower ramps were used (in fact, even discovered in recent digs) and noticed ramp posts which were used as pulleys to raise larger stone items (which meant other large boulders, men, animals, could use gravity to assist in the raising of the stone.

Soldato
We already know how the pyramids were built, so, well, **YAWN**

I'd like to go back to something like the day before MH370 disappearance and put some other form of tracking on it to see what really happened.

Wouldn't you need some sort of security clearance to get near the plane prior to takeoff?

Soldato
The irony of travelling back to something like the Roswell incident with the intent of disproving the conspiracy is that when you rock up on Reddit with your digital camera shot of a weather balloon taken in 1947, you're going to convince the whole of the internet that you're part of a cabal of time travelling lizard people roaming history and changing events to fit their nefarious plans.

I'd quite like to travel back to the 60's or 70's just to experience a different era. Knowing my luck I'd probably give Lee Harvey Oswald the flu and end up having to assassinate Kennedy myself to save the timeline or some such.

Failing that the golden age of ancient Rome or ancient Greece would be cool. Possibly the French revolution. So much to choose from. Extinction of the dinosaurs assuming I can get back unharmed.

Soldato
I'd quite like to travel back to the 60's or 70's just to experience a different era. Knowing my luck I'd probably give Lee Harvey Oswald the flu and end up having to assassinate Kennedy myself to save the timeline or some such.

it's ok, you can just travel forward in the new timeline, grab a later version of kennedy and convince him to assasinate himself.

it'll drive the conspiracy nuts crazy but it'll work.

Soldato
Battle of Thermopylae
General strolling around Ancient Greece and Rome.
Battle of Hastings
Battle of Agincourt
Waterloo
Battle of Gettysburg and Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville
Battle of Islandwana
D-Day
Arnhem
Anfield 1989 - Liverpool vs Arsenal :D

Just to name a few :o

Soldato
a sci fi comedy? that'll never work

It would be brilliant though. Someone trying to make his life better but ending up making it worse.
Kinda like the butterfly effect, but more comedy.

I wish they would make a TV series, where the entire season is already mapped out so you can re watch earlier episodes and see things you've missed. Example, in episode 9 he goes back in time to a hotel bar....first seen in episode 1. When you rewatch episode 1, you see him walking in the background etc etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom